G37 Sedan

Blinkers don’t work after car wash

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 02:13 PM
DylansG37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blinkers don’t work after car wash

So a few days ago I got a car wash and right after it my flashers and wipers were going off by themselves. For a period of about 10 minutes they continued to start and stop then they stopped and I gained control back.

Now my blinkers do not work at all (the green arrows don’t show up on the dash either) and 2 of 4 wiper settings do not work. However the hazard lights work both outside the car and on the dash. Every other light setting works and all buttons on the steering wheel work including the horn. And the windshield wiper spray works as well.

I checked the fuses below the steering wheel and they are all ok however the carpet was damp near the fuse box so I also put a fan on it over night but to no avail. I’m assuming this is a blown fuse/ water damage from the car wash but I can’t figure out where the problem lies. I think my next option is to replace the turn signal and wiper switches.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much detail as possible. Thanks in advance for the help!!
The following users liked this post:
GTManiak (08-03-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 02:45 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
Did you check for water on the passenger side? The BCM (which is located on the passenger side footwell area) controls all lighting functions and is highly susceptible to potential water damage. Lift up the passenger carpet, if there is water, that is likely your issue. I doubt the switch is bad.
The following users liked this post:
GTManiak (08-03-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 02:48 PM
DylansG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Did you check for water on the passenger side? The BCM controls all lighting functions and is highly susceptible to potential water damage. I doubt the switch is bad.
Thx for the response. I did check for any sign of water but didn’t see any. Would you know of any other ways to check the BCM is working properly? Thx
Old 03-01-2021, 03:08 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

If it were me, I would still remove the access panel to the BCM and make sure the connections are dry. DO NOT UNPLUG ANYTHING UNLESS YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST. Then, lift up the carpet and check the floorpan. Assuming everything is clean and dry, diagnosing the issue will get more involved. First and foremost you need to determine where the water came from in the first place...

Everything worked prior to the car wash, yes? Stands to reason that water, somewhere, is creating this problem. I'm not a fan of coincidences and the odds of the switch failing just as you're going through the car wash... possible, not probable, IMO.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 03-01-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:36 PM
Noogie Lamont
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Your sunroof drain is clogged. This issue has been discussed alot. The BCM as well as ECU sit right near the carpet. You can actually see both if you remove the plastic cover where the passenger footwell is(the one under the glove box. Another way that is an easy check is to remove the plastic piece near the battery(owners manual on how to remove battery instructions) and see if the cabin air filter is wet. However I also had this issue and found out it was not the drain tube issue yet a bunch of leaves and debris had gotten near the drain near the battery tray and was causing water to get on the wires underneath the battery tray.

Good luck.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:49 PM
DylansG37
Registered Member

If it were me, I would still remove the access panel to the BCM and make sure the connections are dry. DO NOT UNPLUG ANYTHING UNLESS YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST. Then, lift up the carpet and check the floorpan. Assuming everything is clean and dry, diagnosing the issue will get more involved. First and foremost you need to determine where the water came from in the first place...

Everything worked prior to the car wash, yes? Stands to reason that water, somewhere, is creating this problem. I'm not a fan of coincidences and the odds of the switch failing just as you're going through the car wash... possible, not probable, IMO.
Everything worked perfect until I came out of the car wash. I checked the bcm and it was dry, I’ll check under the carpets though.

anyone know if there is a blinker fuse? None of the fuses below the steering wheel or next to the battery said blinkers.

I’ll look into how water is getting places where it shouldn’t.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:05 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DylansG37
...anyone know if there is a blinker fuse? None of the fuses below the steering wheel or next to the battery said blinkers.
There is no fuse dedicated to the "blinkers." As I've said, ALL lighting functions are controlled by the BCM.

For peace of mind you can check the 10amp #10 fuse (driver foot fuse block). Being that the hazard lights work indicate the fuse is fine, but feel free to check anyway...
Old 03-01-2021, 04:42 PM
DylansG37
Registered Member

There is no fuse dedicated to the "blinkers." As I've said, ALL lighting functions are controlled by the BCM.

For peace of mind you can check the 10amp #10 fuse (driver foot fuse block). Being that the hazard lights work indicate the fuse is fine, but feel free to check anyway...
Ok gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. So lets say water definitely got to the BCM. Would you suggest to just replace it ? And if so could it be a one man job or would you suggest take it to a mechanic.

thanks again for the all replies!!
Old 03-01-2021, 05:00 PM
DylansG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Noogie Lamont
Your sunroof drain is clogged. This issue has been discussed alot. The BCM as well as ECU sit right near the carpet. You can actually see both if you remove the plastic cover where the passenger footwell is(the one under the glove box. Another way that is an easy check is to remove the plastic piece near the battery(owners manual on how to remove battery instructions) and see if the cabin air filter is wet. However I also had this issue and found out it was not the drain tube issue yet a bunch of leaves and debris had gotten near the drain near the battery tray and was causing water to get on the wires underneath the battery tray.

Good luck.
What problem did it make ? And how’d you fix it? Thanks!
Old 03-01-2021, 05:38 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DylansG37
...So lets say water definitely got to the BCM. Would you suggest to just replace it ? And if so could it be a one man job or would you suggest take it to a mechanic.
Hypothetically... Some folks here have had luck just letting the BCM thoroughly dry out while others have had to replace the module. Hard to say as each scenario is different.

Technically, it would take <30min. to replace the BCM but the problem is that you would need to have all of your keys reprogrammed to the new BCM.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:48 PM
DylansG37
Registered Member

Hypothetically... Some folks here have had luck just letting the BCM thoroughly dry out while others have had to replace the module. Hard to say as each scenario is different.

Technically, it would take <30min. to replace the BCM but the problem is that you would need to have all of your keys reprogrammed to the new BCM.
You think I could unplug the battery, then unplug everything going into the BCM and put a fan on it? If that doesn’t work then I’ll work on replacing the bcm
Old 03-01-2021, 05:50 PM
Noogie Lamont
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I did not have the same exact issue as you. My carpet was not wet at all.

However what my car did was kept shutting down and turning off the radio and the fans would kick on by themself as well as not letting the car shutoff. When I finally got the car to shut off it would not start back up so what I did was pull the negative cable. Now pulling the negative did nothing as well after an hour. So what got the car finally started was pulling the positive cable letting it sit for 15 mins and reattaching. Car fired right up. Mind you I was in a WalMart parking lot 150 miles away from home and any Nissan/Infiniti dealer so the goal was to just get the car started and moving.

When the problem occurred for a second time I had just come from a carwash and I did not shut the engine down and drove to the Dealer. Of course they claimed they checked the BCM and ECU and very nicely left the panel hanging down for me to put back myself. However they said it was not the sunroof drain since the carpet was not wet. The service manager admitted that they see alot of the sunroof drain issue and its becoming to be an issue as owners are getting upset at the repair cost after warranty.

I say if you can let the BCM dry for a few days and then drive. if the problem is still in place then maybe pull the cables and reset things. As a last resort go to the dealer. Howeevr it really seems the water may have fried your BCM.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:56 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

It would not hurt. Just disconnect the battery and wait 10-15min. before disconnecting anything else. When you unplug the connectors look for signs or water, dirt, corrosion, etc. In the meantime you can investigate for any water intrusion (check floor pan, cabin filter, etc.).

If that does not work, I would suggest you have a qualified mechanic look at it before you blindly start replacing parts. Any competent mechanic (not necessarily the stealership)- preferably one with the Nissan CONSULT3 software- can fully and properly diagnose the issue.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:04 PM
DylansG37
Registered Member

It would not hurt. Just disconnect the battery and wait 10-15min. before disconnecting anything else. When you unplug the connectors look for signs or water, dirt, corrosion, etc. In the meantime you can investigate for any water intrusion (check floor pan, cabin filter, etc.).

If that does not work, I would suggest you have a qualified mechanic look at it before you blindly start replacing parts. Any competent mechanic (not necessarily the stealership)- preferably one with the Nissan CONSULT3 software- can fully and properly diagnose the issue.
Ok thanks so much for the help and advice I appreciate it. I’ll get to it tomorrow and post an update.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:59 PM
Birdie
Registered Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Sounds like you just ran out of blinker fluid.

Quick Reply: Blinkers don’t work after car wash