G37 Sedan

Abnormal Startup

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 07:23 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Noogie Lamont
The issue the OP is having has nothing to do with any of the systems. The OPs car as it sits now has zero problems at all. The OP wants the car to idol higher then the factory settings permit.

From what the OP has referenced the only real difference between the previous Coupe and the current sedan was the muffler delete.

Today out of curiosity went to see a friend that happens to have a Coupe as well as a muffler delete(sounds really bad). We are in the 40s today. I asked him last night not to do a startup until I arrived. To my surprise the car did have a higher idol then my car and the OPs car as they sit now. I honestly think the muffler delete may be providing more or less backpressure and causing the engine to idol a bit higher upon cold startup. We measured the RPMs at 1500-1550 using an ELM 327 and the Torque app. This is 200-300 more RPMs on cold startup then my car with the current setup.

So short and sweet it is the muffler delete that caused the OPs previous Coupe to idol higher and since the OP does not have a muffler delete on the current car but another setup the car will not idol the way the OP would like.

So any type of relearn is very mute because the OP wants the car to idol higher not lower or as close to spec as possible.
you’re onto something, but then again you’re not. The coupe had a muffler delete but I had two 18” resonators put in its place. My sedan had both resonators and mufflers removed along with all piping in between and just has the two 18” resonators where the stock ones were.
by your logic, my sedan should be idlin even higher than the coupe did. On both cars getting rid of the mufflers mainly opened up the exhaust flow gaining more butt dyno power in the higher rpm’s.
also my coupe idled high on cold starts even when the exhaust was stock.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:45 PM
Noogie Lamont
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The only other thought here is that the exhaust on both cars are a bit different from each other. Considering you have a muffler delete on both cars you would think things would sound the same but they are do not. My additional thought is did your Coupe have a controller or tune on it? Perhaps if a tune was involved this was the reason for the high idol.

I say as a last resort just recreate on the sedan what you had in the Coupe. Then you can either get the result or not get the result you are wanting.

As an additional reference once again my Sedan the way it sits idols in the 12-1300 range on cold startup. It has never gone past that by very much even on a -15 cold startup. I get you want the high idol but it's just not going to high idol for a long while. When mine does this it's probably two to three mins at most on an extremely cold startup.

But to my statement before. Maybe recreate what you had in the Coupe on the sedan and see what happens.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:32 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Noogie Lamont
The only other thought here is that the exhaust on both cars are a bit different from each other. Considering you have a muffler delete on both cars you would think things would sound the same but they are do not. My additional thought is did your Coupe have a controller or tune on it? Perhaps if a tune was involved this was the reason for the high idol.

I say as a last resort just recreate on the sedan what you had in the Coupe. Then you can either get the result or not get the result you are wanting.

As an additional reference once again my Sedan the way it sits idols in the 12-1300 range on cold startup. It has never gone past that by very much even on a -15 cold startup. I get you want the high idol but it's just not going to high idol for a long while. When mine does this it's probably two to three mins at most on an extremely cold startup.

But to my statement before. Maybe recreate what you had in the Coupe on the sedan and see what happens.
They're literally the same exhaust setup other than the coupe still had the stock resonators and the sedan does not, but the same 18" 2.5"in/out resonators were put on both. So if anything the sedan should be breathing even slight bit better than the coupe did.

I think the sedan just has something different about it than the coupe did, like in the stock ECU tune or something. And no, as I stated, other than exhaust the coupe was 100% stock as well. No tune.

My sedan is idling the same as you're saying that yours does around 1200rpm, and I'm fully aware that it doesn't stay at high idle for very long. On mornings where it was right around 0*F it only idled high for about 1-1.5 minutes.

I just really miss the way the coupe sounded when it would cold start. Literally looked forward to it every morning. But if this car won't do it, then I guess I'll just have to live with that fact. It still idles "high", just not as high as the coupe did.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:16 PM
Noogie Lamont
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My apologies on my dated response as I have been busy on a work project.

I am seeing your point now and what you want. The Coupe has a different muffler setup then the coupe. I am thinking maybe thats the difference. Even you had a muffler delete and resonators put in the mufflers place the OEM muffler(and I am assuming the replaced resonators) are sitting horizontal to the bumper in the Coupe and in the sedan they are straight. I am thinking maybe thats why it sounded louder to you. As the 370Z's OEM muffler sits the same way as the G's Coupe. I have noticed this louder sound int he 370's. However I cannot say anything about idol in the 370.

In my eyes maybe it's just the way the two exhausts are different and hence the different sounds.