G37 Sedan

Vibration & bad acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 08:34 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by thatsgr8
Yes they were dirty. The local ripoff mechanic supposedly cleaned them twice. First initial, then I took the car back after removing the air breather tube and found black soot behind the butterfly. Now it runs great except for the vibration that I am assuming are the motor mounts. That is a job I am not looking forward to.
The TB's are a bit of a pain to get to just because of everything connected to the factory intakes and the relatively tight space of the actual flexible section of the intake tubing. So they probably didn't expect you to look and see that they hadn't actually cleaned them. Or maybe they just sprayed TB cleaner on it without actually doing anything to clean it off.
You could always bring your car to one of the many shops that will do free inspections to check the motor mounts.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:04 PM
thatsgr8
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoomerSpeed01
The TB's are a bit of a pain to get to just because of everything connected to the factory intakes and the relatively tight space of the actual flexible section of the intake tubing. So they probably didn't expect you to look and see that they hadn't actually cleaned them. Or maybe they just sprayed TB cleaner on it without actually doing anything to clean it off.
You could always bring your car to one of the many shops that will do free inspections to check the motor mounts.
I noticed today after the engine is warm about 10-20 minutes during driving the vibration is almost unnoticeable. Would the heat from the motor heat up the mounts and make them have less vibration?

I’ll need to find a place that will check the motor mounts for free
Old 02-11-2021, 01:23 PM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

I noticed today after the engine is warm about 10-20 minutes during driving the vibration is almost unnoticeable. Would the heat from the motor heat up the mounts and make them have less vibration?

Yes, motor mounts are part rubber that absorb the vibrations from the engine so it doesn't vibrate the frame of the car. The cold hardens the rubber until the engine warms them back up making them softer absorbing more of the vibrations.

I'd look on Google or Yelp to see what places actually have good reviews. All online reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt. people leave bad reviews for some stupid reasons, and people can leave good reviews to bad shops that rip people off if the customer doesn't know any better.. So definitely do your research before taking it anywhere. Your best bet might actually be a local shop that is locally owned and not part of a chain. They usually do more honest work. Chains just care about how much money they can make off you.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:26 PM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
My car sounds awful while its cold also.

I can't believe this is like...just how its supposed to be lol.

After it warms up, its totally fine.

When (if) my garage ever frees up, I'm planning on looking into it.

I shot a video and sent it to my friend that has the same car. He says his vibrates and makes the same noise when cold. It sounds/feels like the exhaust is hitting the frame OR as if there is a loose heat shield.

Why is this car like this?
The following users liked this post:
BoomerSpeed01 (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 02:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Almost everyone who owns a G will one day wonder why it sounds like a diesel on a cold start. Particularly if you're in a garage.

Assuming this is your moment, there is no problem, Hugh. Then again, maybe you're hearing something genuinely abnormal. IDK
Old 02-11-2021, 02:20 PM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

I don't wanna be a thread jacker.

But if OP doesn't mind/thinks its relevant to his issue, I'll link my video.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:23 PM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Almost everyone who owns a G will one day wonder why it sounds like a diesel on a cold start. Particularly if you're in a garage.
Could that have something to do with the valve system allowing the TB's to stay open all the time letting more of the engine noise out..?
But that wouldn't solve the clanking noise the OP was inquiring about though. So IDK either...
If it is as common as you're making it sound, then maybe like you said there really is no problem..? Although I'm a believer in that a healthy engine should be nearly silent when running (Imagine your grandparents Lincoln Towncar or whatever they had and how quiet it was) So if there's a noise you feel shouldn't be there, regardless how emergent or harmless it may be, it probably shouldn't be there. Like you mentioned, it could just be a loose heat shield, or like the OP mentioned it could be a broken motor mount, or something else entirely.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Right... Hugh's cold start comment really isn't relevant to the OP's problem, but whatever.

Interesting theory about the TBs being open. The car sure makes a racket when idling cold.

Ever run a car way low on oil? All kinds of noises and unpleasant things.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:47 PM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Right... Hugh's cold start comment really isn't relevant to the OP's problem, but whatever.

Interesting theory about the TBs being open. Whatever it is, the car sure makes a racket when idling cold.

Ever run a car way low on oil? All kinds of noises and unpleasant things.
I was responding to this one...

I get an awful rumbling/rattling when driving the car for the first 10-15mins when its really cold and the car's been sitting. In the morning and after work, basically.

The noise is more prevalent under throttle.

Goes away or gets quieter if I put it in neutral and coast OR let it "rest" on a gear and coast down.

It rises with RPM also. BUT only when accelerating in gear. Revving it doesn't really create the noise.

So it must have something to do with the engine torque moving something around.

Once warmed up....she smoove.

I only posted because maybe OP has the same issue and the universe has connected us.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:12 PM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgens
I was responding to this one...

I get an awful rumbling/rattling when driving the car for the first 10-15mins when its really cold and the car's been sitting. In the morning and after work, basically.

The noise is more prevalent under throttle.

Goes away or gets quieter if I put it in neutral and coast OR let it "rest" on a gear and coast down.

It rises with RPM also. BUT only when accelerating in gear. Revving it doesn't really create the noise.

So it must have something to do with the engine torque moving something around.

Once warmed up....she smoove.

I only posted because maybe OP has the same issue and the universe has connected us.
Lol I'm learning to enjoy your sense of humor...
The two situations between you and OP do seem similar. The only differences are that you notice your noise/vibration under power where OP noticed his at a certain speed/RPM...
I see the connection, but not sure if they're one in the same. Could end up helping eachother figure it out together though
Old 02-11-2021, 03:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgens
maybe OP has the same issue and the universe has connected us.
Originally Posted by BoomerSpeed01
I see the connection
Congratulations.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:23 PM
fuze01
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get similar symptom at around 1000 RPM when driving in D. I assume in 5th gear @ 1000 rpm. I have to drop down a gear by tapping the throttle pedal or just increase the rpms to 1500-2000 and its gone.
Have cleaned the TB and MAF sensor.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:06 AM
thatsgr8
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fuze01
I get similar symptom at around 1000 RPM when driving in D. I assume in 5th gear @ 1000 rpm. I have to drop down a gear by tapping the throttle pedal or just increase the rpms to 1500-2000 and its gone.
Have cleaned the TB and MAF sensor.
Thats why I am leaning towards the motor mounts. About 15-20 minutes into driving the vibration almost disappears.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:44 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you checked the universal joints? Usually it they go bad the vibration will be bad at say 40 mph, and then double that speed - 80mph since that’s the next harmonic. You’ll also notice that the rear view mirror will be totally blurry when it happens. It’s worth a quick check.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:11 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Silver37
Have you checked the universal joints? Usually it they go bad the vibration will be bad at say 40 mph, and then double that speed - 80mph since that’s the next harmonic. You’ll also notice that the rear view mirror will be totally blurry when it happens. It’s worth a quick check.
I had the u joints go bad on my g and it never vibrates while driving. It clicked really bad when putting into gear and at slow speeds.