G37 Sedan

Sedan Journey front lip... does it fit the SPORT bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 09:32 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgens
You might be right ab the mirrors. I know a lot of cars have the same circuit for mirrors/rear window defrost. But usually, there's a graphic telling you that both are operated in one.

Again...I'll try this out next time and hope that y'all are correct and that I'm just a dummy.
Haha, no one is saying that you're a dummy. Maybe have a bit of a temper but not a dummy lol
Old 01-27-2021, 09:51 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
You might be right ab the mirrors. I know a lot of cars have the same circuit for mirrors/rear window defrost. But usually, there's a graphic telling you that both are operated in one.

Again...I'll try this out next time and hope that y'all are correct and that I'm just a dummy.
My 3000GT has heated mirrors, but no graphic saying they are operated by the rear defrost. The button is exactly the same in ones that don't have heated mirrors. There are many other vehicles with heated mirrors that just indicate you are turning on defrost, and it also controls the mirrors.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:46 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 196 Posts
Man, I think I'll likely get flamed for being so weak....

Alright...there are some things that I did kind of know before buying the car..
Like, the MPG. I can read the EPA estimates. Unfortunately, despite any reasonable efforts, I'm getting a mixed highway/suburbs average of like 20-22MPG.
I have about an 80 mile round trip commute. My fault, yes. And it's not a question of affordability or anything of that sort. But more a question of logic. Why TF does the MPG need to be this bad? V6 Acuras that have like 25 less HP get IMMENSELY better MPG.

The MPG I can sometimes overlook...because the car is genuinely fun to drive and I have learned to really like the shifter and clutch. Weird, right?!
I love the car's engine and chassis and brakes. They did an excellent job.

BUT...the first word in "driver's car" is DRIVER('s)
Why TF are the cupholders so bad?!!! This is not something I like...look for before I buy a car. I just assume that a car the size of a yacht will have usable cupholders.
I operate them for the first time and it blows my head off how bad they are. To add insult to the scalding burns I got from my coffee...some jackass decided that instead of making more cup room, a better use of the space would be to make a 1" wide strip of velvet (?!!!) that leads up to be a coin holder big enough for 4 coins. The only thing I can buy with 4 coins is a drink small enough to fit in the stupid cupholder. Am I just being centric? Is there a denomination of Yen that's worth it's space in that stupid coin holder??

I'll put it into the craziest terms you will hear in your life.
My S2000 has a larger and better cupholder.
German cars come with better cupholders.

Also....it snowed and I had to drive this car.
I look over and see a bunch of ice on my wing mirror. "No problem", I think. I'll just turn on the mirror heaters.
I'm frantically looking all over the dash for mirror heaters.
Nope.
I'm not built to scrape snow off of anything.
I don't clean snow. I take enough of the snow from my windshield to make a small porthole....turn on every heated surface in the car.....and then I'm off.
I'll drive like a submariner until the rest of the snow blows off as god intended.

Now I have to scrape snow.
And my fu@$ing coffee has to sit on the seat.

They could have also made a lot better use of the available space. The centre console and storage areas could be WAY bigger than they are.
Why is the passenger airbag light there? Any why TF is it big enough to see from space?? Who tf cares whether it's on or off? Turn that mother into a flip up storage area.

It's a sedan dammit.

#sorry for swearing. I was very upset about the heated mirrors today.
Unfortunately this is the best Infiniti could do with the weight and RWD configuration. A 6spd maxima with the VQ will get the MPGs comparable to your honda/acuras. I wonder if a 7spd auto rear end would greatly improve your highway MPGs.

At the end of the day you bought a small entry level 'luxury' sports sedan. If you want more, you will need to shop in the midsize segment and your options become even more limited. Unfortunately I don't think any of the midsize options will get better than 25mpg highway with a manual.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:32 AM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by stealthee
My 3000GT has heated mirrors, but no graphic saying they are operated by the rear defrost. The button is exactly the same in ones that don't have heated mirrors. There are many other vehicles with heated mirrors that just indicate you are turning on defrost, and it also controls the mirrors.
Ah ok. Dang the 3000GT really was ahead of its time.

What's the cupholder situation? We talking 64oz. of refreshments? Or is it a 1990's Japanese spec of slim cans only?

Originally Posted by RobC7
Unfortunately this is the best Infiniti could do with the weight and RWD configuration. A 6spd maxima with the VQ will get the MPGs comparable to your honda/acuras. I wonder if a 7spd auto rear end would greatly improve your highway MPGs.

At the end of the day you bought a small entry level 'luxury' sports sedan. If you want more, you will need to shop in the midsize segment and your options become even more limited. Unfortunately I don't think any of the midsize options will get better than 25mpg highway with a manual.
I gotcha man. I'm just finding it illogical for me (one person) to consume 20 gallons of gas per week just for commuting.

Idk about any other midsize option being this bad though. This is surprisingly bad lol. The BMW's they were benchmarking are better. Most other V6 RWD's of the era are probably better. Acura's AWD V6 is better (yeah I know its not full time AWD).

Again...not saying I'm proposing fixing the MPG by ruining some other aspect of the car. I'm not convinced that lowering the ratio will help enough to justify the down sides.

I'm just saying....in terms of gas mileage...its MY fault that I'm driving this thing 80 miles a day. But this is the first car that I've owned that's done WORSE than the EPA sticker says. All my previous cars have met or beat the EPA rating even with "real world" use.

comparitive MPG aside. I think that buying an EV or hybrid is the best call for me... at this point
Old 01-27-2021, 11:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
You should pick up a used Nissan Leaf for commuting like that. 150 electric miles a day, quiet, responsive, kind of interesting looking.

Looking around auto trader, you could get a 4-5 year old Leaf for around $10k, give or take.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-27-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:18 PM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
You should pick up a used Nissan Leaf for commuting like that. 150 electric miles a day, quiet, responsive, kind of interesting looking.

Looking around auto trader, you could get a 4-5 year old Leaf for around $10k, give or take.
I was thinking along the lines of a GS350H maybe. Would be a good road tripper. I plan to go to/from NYC a lot in the next few months.

Maybe Los Angeles in a few months.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:18 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Hugh, the cup holder applies to coupes only. The sedan has a much more comfortable design since it doesnt have an E brake to share. I live in FL so I can't confirm the mirrors.
I come from the Honda world and their efficiency spoiled us. If you pay attention the J series engines have a closer bank angle and smaller ports that help with torque along with intake only Vtec which under Vtec the cam profiles are set for efficiency. Most of this efficiency is the reason why Honda V6s struggle to get anywhere close to 300whp when the VQ35/37 can achieve these easily.

It's not until you look at Infiniti's newer lines that you see they started to move towards comfort.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:21 PM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
Hugh, the cup holder applies to coupes only. The sedan has a much more comfortable design since it doesnt have an E brake to share. I live in FL so I can't confirm the mirrors.
I come from the Honda world and their efficiency spoiled us. If you pay attention the J series engines have a closer bank angle and smaller ports that help with torque along with intake only Vtec which under Vtec the cam profiles are set for efficiency. Most of this efficiency is the reason why Honda V6s struggle to get anywhere close to 300whp when the VQ35/37 can achieve these easily.

It's not until you look at Infiniti's newer lines that you see they started to move towards comfort.
I have a sedan, mensch.

This cupholder is as bad (size wise) as DC chassis Integras were. But...the Integra still holds the stupidest cupholder award. An award that wouldn't fit in either car's cupholder, ironically.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:24 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
I have a sedan, mensch.

This cupholder is as bad (size wise) as DC chassis Integras were. But...the Integra still holds the stupidest cupholder award. An award that wouldn't fit in either car's cupholder, ironically.
My apologies, the Cup holder applies to 6mt only
These are for the Auto

Old 01-27-2021, 12:28 PM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

OK! Now it makes sense why some people look at me sideways on the cupholder complaint.

You 7AT people are living decadent lives indeed.
The following users liked this post:
BULL (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 12:36 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 196 Posts
I was thinking along the lines of a GS350H maybe. Would be a good road tripper. I plan to go to/from NYC a lot in the next few months.

Maybe Los Angeles in a few months.
*GS450h

The G is also my worst MPG car I have owned but I don't drive as much now and we use my wife's car to do trips (2017 3.5L Altima and it gets 32mpg hwy). Back in my "I daily my sports car days" my GTO was sipping gas, 2100rpms @80mph averaging 26mpgs. The C7 would get 30+mpgs @80mph averaging over 30mpg.

I don't know how people do it by putting different gears in the G. In stock form the RPMs are already too high for my liking on the highway.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RobC7
I don't know how people do it by putting different gears in the G. In stock form the RPMs are already too high for my liking on the highway.
You lose maybe 0.5 mpg overall, and highway cruising is maybe 300 rpm higher than typical 6th gear coasting. But that's just 6th on the highway, otherwise daily driving is totally normal.

That's really it. The returns are so much more than that compromise added to the cost. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:01 PM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
You lose maybe 0.5 mpg overall, and highway cruising is maybe 300 rpm higher than typical 6th gear coasting.

That's really it. The returns are so much more than that compromise added to the cost. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
I'm with you there. Shorter gearing FTW.

I've raised (shortened) the ratio in almost all my cars lol. I like that ultra tight gearing.

I've not seen any notable drop in HWY MPG...but shorter gearing gets you slightly better "around town" MPG

The 7AT FD is taller because they've got 7 gears to spread out into. So city/town driving isn't affected as much by using a taller FD.

Too many downsides in swapping in taller gearing than stock, IMO. Especially a taller FD which affects every gear equally.

I don't plan to play around with the G's gearing. I like the instant torque on the highway....and like Rochester is saying...its not like a taller FD would pay huge dividends on the highway anyway.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Hey Hugh, if you print up something as a caddy into your tray, can I have your little plastic divider? I lost mine years ago.

"Hey Hugh, get off of McCloud!"

- Mick Jagger, watching Hef getting too friendly with Dennis Weaver
Old 01-27-2021, 01:08 PM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm just saying....in terms of gas mileage...its MY fault that I'm driving this thing 80 miles a day. But this is the first car that I've owned that's done WORSE than the EPA sticker says.
Imagine how the first people to get the BMW I8 felt lol

Quick Reply: Sedan Journey front lip... does it fit the SPORT bumper?