G37 Sedan

How good is the G's safety in a rear end collision?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 03:07 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
How good is the G's safety in a rear end collision?

Happy New Year everyone. I was almost involved in a bad accident a few days ago. I was at a stopped at a stop sign with a truck behind me. A driver who was speeding and not paying attention in a lifted SUV failed to brake on time and hit the right side of the truck behind me pretty hard. I was lucky enough not to get hit, but the whole incident was terrifying. Both cars were seriously damaged, and it got my thinking how the G would have put up if it got hit by a much larger vehicle. I do have passengers in the back seat most of the time, and I am honestly paranoid after this incident. I live in an area here in CA where street racing, lifted trucks, and drunk drivers are prevalent. I looked into the Gs crash test, and the majority of the tests were good other than the safety cage. I could not find information for a rear end collision. Thank you in advance and stay safe everyone.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:37 PM
nicholas1979
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure how good the rating is from the rear but the G37x sedan I scooped up had been wrecked and smashed in the back pretty good, like someone had nailed it at atleast 35-40mph or more probably and my car was salvage when I got it. Of course the bumper cover was in pieces and trunk caved in, taillights mangled, but other than that it held up nicely, especially on the inside of the car, like it hadn't had happened on the inside. No rear axle damage, exhaust not shifted or damaged. Of course when the car finally got completely fixed it looked brand new in the rear. But lots of things to consider here like what type of vehicle almost hit you, the height and weight of it, whether it was a car or truck, etc. I know you mentioned SUV but that would impact how bad it would be probably and whether you were holding down on the brake as they smash into you. As for my car is the G37x sedan not sure which G you have. I would say because of the large trunk in the sedan model and construction of the vehicle and reinforcements in the rear, it's safe to say in my opinion the G is a safe vehicle if you ended up getting hit from the back in the future and hopefully you won't ever have to deal with that.

Last edited by nicholas1979; 12-31-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:37 AM
General Grim
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nicholas1979
Not sure how good the rating is from the rear but the G37x sedan I scooped up had been wrecked and smashed in the back pretty good, like someone had nailed it at atleast 35-40mph or more probably and my car was salvage when I got it. Of course the bumper cover was in pieces and trunk caved in, taillights mangled, but other than that it held up nicely, especially on the inside of the car, like it hadn't had happened on the inside. No rear axle damage, exhaust not shifted or damaged. Of course when the car finally got completely fixed it looked brand new in the rear. But lots of things to consider here like what type of vehicle almost hit you, the height and weight of it, whether it was a car or truck, etc. I know you mentioned SUV but that would impact how bad it would be probably and whether you were holding down on the brake as they smash into you. As for my car is the G37x sedan not sure which G you have. I would say because of the large trunk in the sedan model and construction of the vehicle and reinforcements in the rear, it's safe to say in my opinion the G is a safe vehicle if you ended up getting hit from the back in the future and hopefully you won't ever have to deal with that.
Thanks for your input. I have some peace of mind knowing that you are talking from experience. I unfortunately live in a part of California with one of the highest car related accident in the state. I am talking highest DUIs, hit and run, undocumented and unlicensed drivers, and the whole bad package. I am concerned because the vast majority of vehicles here in my area are lifted trucks and SUVs with shiny rims. Apparently it is considered cool and manly here to drive around speeding and recklessly while blasting mariachi music. I read in some instances where a lifted truck has a high chance of climbing and landing on the car's roof. It is hard not to think about especially with a few passengers. Thank you for your best wishes. Hope you live in an area where you don't deal with any of this.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:26 PM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by General Grim
Thanks for your input. I have some peace of mind knowing that you are talking from experience. I unfortunately live in a part of California with one of the highest car related accident in the state. I am talking highest DUIs, hit and run, undocumented and unlicensed drivers, and the whole bad package. I am concerned because the vast majority of vehicles here in my area are lifted trucks and SUVs with shiny rims. Apparently it is considered cool and manly here to drive around speeding and recklessly while blasting mariachi music. I read in some instances where a lifted truck has a high chance of climbing and landing on the car's roof. It is hard not to think about especially with a few passengers. Thank you for your best wishes. Hope you live in an area where you don't deal with any of this.
All this because you saw one accident that you weren't even involved in?

Unfortunately, if a lifted truck hits your car, it will be mostly hitting the upper structure. The roof pillars, etc. Just figure out how to duck quickly!

In seriousness, you'd rather have something climb the roof than tear through the roof structure. A strong roof structure will resist deformation and send the force upward. Most modern cars have a stiff passenger compartment that's got crush zones behind/in front.

Think about the physics behind it. If you're hit up high, its somewhat of an un-tested scenario. But you'd want the roof to slow down the crash by pushing the other car upward and using friction and slight deformation to slow it down.

Anyway, it was just one accident. They happen. You presumably haven't been involved in anything serious in (the number of years you've been driving).

Last edited by Hugh Jorgens; 01-01-2021 at 12:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nicholas1979 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 04:45 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 139 Likes on 111 Posts

I got t-boned at 65mph by a GMC 1500. Just the seat belt mark on my shoulder.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:04 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgens
All this because you saw one accident that you weren't even involved in?

Unfortunately, if a lifted truck hits your car, it will be mostly hitting the upper structure. The roof pillars, etc. Just figure out how to duck quickly!

In seriousness, you'd rather have something climb the roof than tear through the roof structure. A strong roof structure will resist deformation and send the force upward. Most modern cars have a stiff passenger compartment that's got crush zones behind/in front.

Think about the physics behind it. If you're hit up high, its somewhat of an un-tested scenario. But you'd want the roof to slow down the crash by pushing the other car upward and using friction and slight deformation to slow it down.

Anyway, it was just one accident. They happen. You presumably haven't been involved in anything serious in (the number of years you've been driving).
Reviving this semi old thread, but yes I am a bit more worried and cautious now that I sometimes ride younger kids on my car. It is a scary thought to ponder on, but vehicular accidents in my area are prevalent. I did some research and watched videos on safety tests, but I never figured the over all rating for the 2013 Model Gs. I did find out though that it scored okay with roof strength. After reading a few articles about local accidents, it made me think about the Infiniti QX80. Great big SUV that scored really good on the safety tests. Only if they were more affordable lol.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:06 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Said Amir

I got t-boned at 65mph by a GMC 1500. Just the seat belt mark on my shoulder.
Glad you are okay. I assume you were in the driver seat of the car. How did the front passenger side do?
Old 02-19-2021, 01:42 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 139 Likes on 111 Posts
Thank you. For the passenger side if someone was to sit there at the moment, their right leg might have a bruise since the inner door panel got squeezed in, but other than that I think no serious damages. But, driver side view it was honestly not that bad, I saw his headlights on my side window and just forced my self into the seat and nothing but a seatbelt mark.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:54 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
You can die from choking on food or from drowning. Just because you’ll have a safer car won’t make you avoid crashes. It’s all about awareness and assertiveness. You just need to be aware of the surroundings and never take the guard down. The G’s safety is really good. I saw a picture of someone’s G37 sedan that rolled over a couple of times will smashing a barricade at around 50-60 mph and then a traffic light pole. The driver was fine and walked home with a few bruises.