G37 Sedan

2013 G37 XS overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 07:33 PM
JG37XS
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 G37 XS overheating

I’m sure you guys will probably refer me to older threads as this seems like it’s a recurring problem with these cars but I might as well ask anyways.

Car has been overheating at idle. Has 97,600 miles on it. Goes all the way to Hot. Sometimes it fluctuates above half while I’m driving it. I’ve done the thermostat, changed hoses, coolant flush. No service engine lights on either. Both fans work.

Car drives normal. I’ve had a couple people suggest taking out the thermostat all together to see if that rectifies the issue.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:52 PM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Is it a genuine Nissan thermostat? Idk how Nissan rolls...but with Honda's, if you go with an aftermarket thermostat, you can be about 90% sure it will overheat.

Or maybe you've still got air in the system. Did you bleed it per the FSM?

I'm assuming you used a compatible coolant, mixed properly? I always use pre-mix because buying distilled water and mixing it like some sort of scientist is a hassle (you can't use tap water).

Is the coolant leaking or "disappearing"?
Old 10-01-2020, 08:08 AM
JG37XS
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgens
Is it a genuine Nissan thermostat? Idk how Nissan rolls...but with Honda's, if you go with an aftermarket thermostat, you can be about 90% sure it will overheat.

I'm assuming you used a compatible coolant, mixed properly? I always use pre-mix because buying distilled water and mixing it like some sort of scientist is a hassle (you can't use tap water).

No leaks, used the correct coolant, bled properly. The thermostat is actually duralast.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:56 PM
JG37XS
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgens

thinking it’s the fan because the issue doesn’t happen while driving. It happens usually when car is idling
Old 10-01-2020, 02:19 PM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by JG37XS
thinking it’s the fan because the issue doesn’t happen while driving. It happens usually when car is idling
Hookup your bluetooth odbii reader with torque to verify none of the sensors are reading incorrectly or soft-failing.
If it's that hot, you should hear the fan on full blast at idle. Given your recent overhauls, I bet it is a fan failure.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:36 PM
JG37XS
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BeeW
Hookup your bluetooth odbii reader with torque to verify none of the sensors are reading incorrectly or soft-failing.
If it's that hot, you should hear the fan on full blast at idle. Given your recent overhauls, I bet it is a fan failure.

now car isn’t accelerating and driving sluggish. This is a nightmare lol..
Old 10-01-2020, 02:48 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,072 Posts
While driving at speed the fans typically will not come on as there is sufficient air flow across the radiator to dissipate heat. Alternatively, when the vehicle is not moving, the fans will come on- as needed- to move air across the radiator. When you are overheating, BOTH FANS should be running at FULL BLAST. It will be a loud roar.

Easy way to test the fans is to run the IPDM/er self-diagnostic function: IPDM/ER SELF TEST

In my case the fans were barely turning at all causing me to run hot when stopped at a red light, drive thru, etc.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:01 PM
JG37XS
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
While driving at speed the fans typically will not come on as there is sufficient air flow across the radiator to dissipate heat. Alternatively, when the vehicle is not moving, the fans will come on- as needed- to move air across the radiator. When you are overheating, BOTH FANS should be running at FULL BLAST. It will be a loud roar.

Easy way to test the fans is to run the IPDM/er self-diagnostic function: IPDM/ER SELF TEST

In my case the fans were barely turning at all causing me to run hot when stopped at a red light, drive thru, etc.

Quite sure it’s my fans. They come on when car is moving and when I idle the gauge always is going up now. Any recommendations on fans to use or only oem? Is Dorman acceptable?
Old 10-01-2020, 06:15 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
The fan control module is also something that is known to be problematic on these cars. Fortunately it's cheap and easy to replace those.

In my case the fans were running all the damn time, even when the engine is stone cold and A/C was off. The control module was the culprit.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:09 PM
JG37XS
Registered Member

Originally Posted by antirice
The fan control module is also something that is known to be problematic on these cars. Fortunately it's cheap and easy to replace those.

In my case the fans were running all the damn time, even when the engine is stone cold and A/C was off. The control module was the culprit.
thanks! So much yo look into with these cars. I have a 6mt maxima and we have issues with oil burning and sensors. This overheating is scary
Old 10-01-2020, 07:20 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,072 Posts
...and the easiest way to test the fans, the fan control module, and the fan control relay is to run the IPDM/er self test that I mentioned in my previous post. If you just want to throw parts at it then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just my 10¢
The following users liked this post:
JG37XS (10-05-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 07:20 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by JG37XS
I’m sure you guys will probably refer me to older threads as this seems like it’s a recurring problem with these cars but I might as well ask anyways.

Car has been overheating at idle. Has 97,600 miles on it. Goes all the way to Hot. Sometimes it fluctuates above half while I’m driving it. I’ve done the thermostat, changed hoses, coolant flush. No service engine lights on either. Both fans work.

Car drives normal. I’ve had a couple people suggest taking out the thermostat all together to see if that rectifies the issue.
Have you followed the troubleshooting steps in the FSM

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...an/2013/CO.pdf

See page CO-7 for troubleshooting analysis.
Could be something simple like a defective radiator cap or a loose belt?
Or clogged radiator or a defective water pump and thermostat?

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
JG37XS (10-05-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 07:24 PM
JG37XS
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
...and the easiest way to test the fans, the fan control module, and the fan control relay is to run the IPDM/er self test that I mentioned in my previous post. If you just want to throw parts at it then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just my 10¢
haven’t gotten a chance to but my tech and I will go over that Saturday. Your advice isn’t going to be ignored lol

Last edited by JG37XS; 10-01-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:12 PM
JG37XS
Registered Member

So, we went over everything. It’s not the fans.

Coolant level was low but no visible leaks. Bled the system
Also oil didn’t have coolant in it. Just replaced radiator cap.

Kind of thinking the worst, but hopefully this is the remedy.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:12 AM
BoomerSpeed01
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I had a 2010 G37 coupe and it did the exact same thing to me. I had to take off the radiator cap, run the car for a few minutes (yes, you will spill a little bit of coolant) and let some of the air bubbles work their way out.

This seems like a very common problem and I haven't seen a sure fire way of rectifying it. But that's the best way I found to DIY it without paying a shop to do basically the same thing. If you do take it to a shop, make sure it's a reputable one so you get your money's worth.

Quick Reply: 2013 G37 XS overheating