G37 Sedan

Nismo / IPL H-pipe on Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 12:54 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Nismo / IPL H-pipe on Sedan

I was thinking of replacing my y-pipe with an aftermarket one + building a custom mid pipe. Since I will be going through that effort I thought maybe I can go with an H-pipe design instead. Anyone here running the Nismo / IPL or aftermarket H-Pipe on their sedan?

Picture below for reference.

Regular:

Nismo:

Old 09-09-2020, 03:11 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
I think it would fit, but the coupes are a little longer.. you would need to have it shortened.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:38 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
I think it would fit, but the coupes are a little longer.. you would need to have it shortened.
I'm looking to use the H-pipe from the coupe or the Z1 H-pipe. The coupe midpipe will not fit that's why I mentioned I would like to do a custom one.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:42 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
X-pipe is a better design. if you are going custom might as well do it right.
The following users liked this post:
PNW_IPL (09-11-2020)
Old 03-29-2021, 12:37 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Any running a Z1 motorsports h-pipe?

Old 03-29-2021, 10:58 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
My good buddy installed a full Nismo on his Coupe and the results are Mild. Idle and acceleration sound is a great improvement however performance wise, not much performance change overall.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:57 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
My good buddy installed a full Nismo on his Coupe and the results are Mild. Idle and acceleration sound is a great improvement however performance wise, not much performance change overall.
I don't think going with the stock Nismo/IPL is a cost effective option. I'm leaning towards getting RHFCs, Z1 h-pipe, and a 2.25" midpipe with 18" vibrant resonators. Trying to keep the sound levels down as I don't need my slow family sedan getting too much attention.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:17 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

I'm picking up a Nismo h-pipe and mid pipe today. Plan is to have an exhaust shop extend the piping and pair with my Tanabe axle back.

I'll measure everything in the coming days but the Nismo midpipe should be around 60mm (2.36") which would match the Tanabe axle back. Really looking forward to removing the y-pipe and going with the true dual setup.

OEM+ or just stupid?
Old 05-11-2021, 11:26 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by RobC7
I'm picking up a Nismo h-pipe and mid pipe today. Plan is to have an exhaust shop extend the piping and pair with my Tanabe axle back.

I'll measure everything in the coming days but the Nismo midpipe should be around 60mm (2.36") which would match the Tanabe axle back. Really looking forward to removing the y-pipe and going with the true dual setup.

OEM+ or just stupid?
Going to sound nice but dont expect any WOW effect. My friend's coupe sounded like a stock Nismo however Cats and mufflers could change it's sound, I still dont think it would be such a noticeable increase if all you're changing is design of this area.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:57 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
Going to sound nice but dont expect any WOW effect. My friend's coupe sounded like a stock Nismo however Cats and mufflers could change it's sound, I still dont think it would be such a noticeable increase if all you're changing is design of this area.
Considering your friend has a coupe and I have a sedan, the difference will be noticeable mainly because of the difference in resonators. The h-pipe has two outlets each 2 1/4 vs the ypipes 2 1/2 outlet that then steps down to a 2" midpipe. Also, the Sedan midpipe tapers down to 1.4" before the mufflers.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:20 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
Oo, not sure how I missed this, looking forward to your experience here. If you could get the sedan to sound like the NISMO Z, or hell even a G coupe, I'd be all in. I hate how quiet the sedan is, the coupe is just perfect for my taste. Aftermarkets systems are all too loud for me personally, the Tanabe Axle back is good but at times even that gets too quiet, I'm assuming due to the Y and mid pipe designs. Power is not the priority for me, just a better OEM+ sound track.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:36 AM
G3siedem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, have you already put Z-nismo exhaust? I would like to do the same, but I have G37x sedan with full stock exhaust and I’m thinking how to do with muffler, because stock inlet is only 1,4”. Probably I need to make custom, but I’m sure they will not be straight pipes
How it fit before mid section, specialy in the place where oem Y descends into one pipe?
Old 07-12-2021, 09:13 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Rob any update on this?
Old 07-20-2021, 12:57 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2.2Lude
Rob any update on this?
No real updates yet. I've been extremely busy and put this project + Nismo springs aside. Maybe I can get the ball rolling soon. I need to find a shop that can connect the two via v-bands.

I do enjoy the axle back only. You can really hear it outside if of the car but inside it is almost silent. What I dislike is the sub-optimal stock piping and I think this will give me the best of both worlds.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:29 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RobC7
No real updates yet. I've been extremely busy and put this project + Nismo springs aside. Maybe I can get the ball rolling soon. I need to find a shop that can connect the two via v-bands.

I do enjoy the axle back only. You can really hear it outside if of the car but inside it is almost silent. What I dislike is the sub-optimal stock piping and I think this will give me the best of both worlds.
Right on. I like the idea of replacing the mid pipe with a coupe/ipl/nismo one and vbanding it to the axle back. Unfortunately I don't think it'll make much of difference power wise. IIRC the coupe mid pipe is something like 2.36" ID, but the sedan Tanabe's measured in at 1.69" ID at the flange, that is still a massive step down and will negate the larger mid pipe diameter IMO.

I installed my Tanabe axle backs last night and can't help but feel they are too quiet, like others have noted. That coming from someone who wanted the quietest exhaust possible. Cold start, warm start, and light acceleration sound ever so slightly deeper than stock. At around 3k though they sound perfect, but keep going and It starts to sound stock again through the rest of the rev range. This is all from the driver seat, haven't heard it from the outside yet.

I'm thinking of swapping in the resonators from a coupe mid pipe.

Quick Reply: Nismo / IPL H-pipe on Sedan