G37 Sedan

Nismo / IPL H-pipe on Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 04:19 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by 2.2Lude
Right on. I like the idea of replacing the mid pipe with a coupe/ipl/nismo one and vbanding it to the axle back. Unfortunately I don't think it'll make much of difference power wise. IIRC the coupe mid pipe is something like 2.36" ID, but the sedan Tanabe's measured in at 1.69" ID at the flange, that is still a massive step down and will negate the larger mid pipe diameter IMO.

I installed my Tanabe axle backs last night and can't help but feel they are too quiet, like others have noted. That coming from someone who wanted the quietest exhaust possible. Cold start, warm start, and light acceleration sound ever so slightly deeper than stock. At around 3k though they sound perfect, but keep going and It starts to sound stock again through the rest of the rev range. This is all from the driver seat, haven't heard it from the outside yet.

I'm thinking of swapping in the resonators from a coupe mid pipe.
The exhaust is noticeable on the outside throughout the rev range especially under load. I have some OK sound clips I can share, what's the best way to share them? Are you on facebook messenger? I'd hate to upload something thats suboptimal for my youtube account.

The Tanabe piping tapers down to 1.7" to connect with the stock midpipe. Other than that, the piping on the tanabe should be around 60mm (2.36") and Nismo midpipe is around 2.3-2.4" in diameter. I'm also excited to ditch the y-pipe as it will smooth out the flow and finally make it a 'dual' exhaust setup. I'll measure everything with a digital caliper when I take it apart.

I would guess this setup will make the car sound like a stock 370z.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:29 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by RobC7
The exhaust is noticeable on the outside throughout the rev range especially under load. I have some OK sound clips I can share, what's the best way to share them? Are you on facebook messenger? I'd hate to upload something thats suboptimal for my youtube account.

The Tanabe piping tapers down to 1.7" to connect with the stock midpipe. Other than that, the piping on the tanabe should be around 60mm (2.36") and Nismo midpipe is around 2.3-2.4" in diameter. I'm also excited to ditch the y-pipe as it will smooth out the flow and finally make it a 'dual' exhaust setup. I'll measure everything with a digital caliper when I take it apart.

I would guess this setup will make the car sound like a stock 370z.
Appreciate it, I'm on messenger but don't use FB/messenger much. I'll just have my wife drive around the block so I can hear it lol.

Ah I see, I only measured the ID and OD at the flange of the Tanabe's with my caliper, where I got 1.69" ID and 2.0" OD. Compared to the stock mid pipe outlet ID of 1.67" and OD of 1.9". Makes sense that they would get larger further down the piping closer to the cans. I'll reach under there again and re measure the OD closer to the mufflers.

All said and done, I'm sure you'll end up the exact sound your looking for.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:19 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Finally getting around to doing this, I'll be dropping the car off at the shop Thursday night and picking it up on Friday.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:32 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Wow, you sure don't rush into things.

Gotta respect that.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:34 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Wow, you sure don't rush into things.

Gotta respect that.
You got that right

Well it's done and I am very happy with the outcome. Compared to before, its quite loud when standing directly behind the car when giving it some revs. Inside you can tell it's there, but it's still quiet with no drone.

370z Nismo H-pipe -> Nismo Midpipe + extended piping -> v-band connection -> Tanabe axle back

This is the only picture I have right now, it's been downpouring all day. I'll share the piping sizes etc. once I pick up the stock parts on Monday. I'll try to get some videos together when it is dry out + I have someone to record.

Does this make my car have 350hp now?
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (04-23-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 09:47 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (06-28-2023)
Old 04-29-2022, 09:49 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
That sounds fantastic. Great job!
Old 04-29-2022, 10:12 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2.2Lude
That sounds fantastic. Great job!
Thanks! I think it turned out great and it's exactly what I was looking for. If I ever want any more noise, I can always opt for FI RHFCs.
Old 04-30-2022, 05:56 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Oh, that does sound good. Something fun, but you can live with it too without compromise.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:53 PM
VQ_N_STL
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am super interested in this. Something not crazy loud but still clean. Can you give us a full parts list ?

You got that right

Well it's done and I am very happy with the outcome. Compared to before, its quite loud when standing directly behind the car when giving it some revs. Inside you can tell it's there, but it's still quiet with no drone.

370z Nismo H-pipe -> Nismo Midpipe + extended piping -> v-band connection -> Tanabe axle back

This is the only picture I have right now, it's been downpouring all day. I'll share the piping sizes etc. once I pick up the stock parts on Monday. I'll try to get some videos together when it is dry out + I have someone to record.

Does this make my car have 350hp now?
Old 06-28-2023, 05:14 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
You got that right

Hi ​​​@RobC7 . I am running an exhaust setup on my sedan which is similar to what you were running prior to the addition of the Nismo/IPL Y-pipe here: https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...8e1ba4e7842276

OEM Y-Pipe (2 1/4" at Cats, then down to 1 3/4", then back to single outlet 2 1/2" at egress) -> OEM Mid-Pipe with 12" Vibrant Resonators to replace OEM 17 inchers (2 1/2" ingress splits into 2 1/4 then tapers to just under 2" after the resonators until it meets the axleback) -> Tanabe/Revel Axleback (50mm-60mm)

I found the Nismo/IPL Y-pipe on accident while I was researching some some customizations (i.e. true dial with either an X-Pipe or H-Pipe) I was considering with my Muffler Shop to replace the OEM Y-Pipe. I had no idea this Y-Pipe existed. Once I knew, I then I found this thread.

I wanted to check with you on the fitment of the Nismo/IPL Y-pipe. Are you bolting up to the stock cats? Any vibrations? Was flex pipe needed to minimize? How much extra pipe was needed (2 1/2" to 2 1/4"?) to join the outlets of the new y-pipe to the two separate inlet pipes now exposed on the ingress side of the mid-pipe? Did you need to reduce the size of the pipe going into the mid-pipe from the Y-pipe? Do you have a picture of the front portion as the pic above looks like the rear (or am I disoriented?)?

Sounds great by the way. I started with the Tanabe Axleback years ago, then added the shorter resonators a year or two later, so the y-pipe is phase 3 of the journey.

Last edited by socketz67; 06-28-2023 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2023, 05:07 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

The ypipe and hpipe are both same the length. It is a direct bolt on and nothing needs to be modified assuming you have a midpipe that has a dual inlet.

When I did this exhaust, the only portion that needs to be extended is the midpipe because the Z chassis is shorter than the G sedan.
Old 07-02-2023, 07:11 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
The ypipe and hpipe are both same the length. It is a direct bolt on and nothing needs to be modified assuming you have a midpipe that has a dual inlet.

When I did this exhaust, the only portion that needs to be extended is the midpipe because the Z chassis is shorter than the G sedan.
Thanks @RobC7 . I missed where you mentioned using the Nismo midpipe in the original post. I thought you were modifying the sedan midpipe. After talking to my exhaust guy, it sounds like CA has outlawed using any exhaust configuration off the cats that is NOT a ypipe. Aftermarket ypipes are ok, but not true dual, hpipe or xpipe configurations. I thought this sounded odd, but I found guys in the Mustang and Corvette forums complaining that they failed smog for changing out the ypipe for an xpipe.

I’ve considered changing out the ypipe, but all aftermarket ypipes use 2.5” tubes into a 3” collector, As the factory cat outlets are 2.25” and the ingress to the oem midpipe is 2.5”, the mismatch can cause rasp issues.

Last edited by socketz67; 09-01-2024 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:19 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
...it sounds like CA has outlawed using using any exhaust configuration off the cats that is NOT a ypipe. Aftermarket ypipes are ok, but not true dual, hpipe or xpipe configurations.

With all the serious issues folks are facing these days THIS is what California is worried about? Exhaust pipes?

There has to be more to that law/ ban.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 07-03-2023 at 04:03 PM.