G37 Sedan

Best sun shade for 2011 G37

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 10:35 PM
mzi
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best sun shade for 2011 G37

With excessive heat in Texas, I need advice on a good-quality, proven, and affordable windshield sun shade. Please suggest what and where to buy.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Covercraft. Fit and quality is excellent. I have one for all our cars.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...g37-sedan.html
Old 08-30-2020, 01:17 PM
mzi
Registered Member

Thank you @Rochester . Very detailed review. It is a little pricey, but I am sure it will be a good investment. My car is staying outside in Texas heat for most of the day and I do not want damaged and cracked dashboard. Will go with it. I hope buying it from a 3rd party (other than Covercraft) will be just fine.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:49 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
$70, plus taxes and shipping, isn’t too bad. Covercraft is one of the best out there. Better to bite the bullet and not cheap out unless you want to end up with a cracked dashboard and spend more money on either reupholstering the dash or buying a new one. If you can’t afford a sunshade, you can’t afford an Infiniti G37.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:09 PM
mzi
Registered Member

Thanks @Joyryde. I actually was referring to buying Covercraft brand from a retailer other than Covercraft. There are other sellers selling this (Covercraft) brand, so should be just as good as buying direct from Covercraft.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:56 AM
goldbug
Premier Member

Received 168 Likes on 110 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but I actually had the Covercraft and Weathertech sunshades for my G37 coupe (sounds like covercraft fitment for sedans is better) and prefer the Weathertech. I returned the Covercraft sun shade after a couple days because it doesn't quite fill the entire window/ doesn't cover the A-pillars completely so it hangs down on the sides by the pillars. It's also heavier so I was concerned with how it would affect and wear down the sun visors that flip down to support the weight and hold it in place. A friend of mine has the covercraft for his Chevy SS though and it fits like a glove and doesn't need the sun shades folded down to hold it up, so maybe it's just better fitting on some cars than others. And I did order the correct part for the coupe so there were no issues there- but I returned the covercraft and ordered the weathertech sunshade which fits like a glove in every corner of the window, even after being rolled up and un-rolled dozens of times now. My only complaint with the weather tech is the adhesive they used to hold the velcro strap to the sunshade (so you can roll it up) is weak and started to melt on me a little once already last year in 100+ degree heat here on the coast. It didn't come off but I could move the little strap around slightly. That's the smallest concern ever though at least for me personally, so I think the weathertech has been a solid $60 purchase.

Last edited by goldbug; 08-31-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

That's strange. Every Covercraft shade I've owned has fit perfectly, no gaps, no overlap. You think maybe you got sent one cut for the Sedan instead of the Coupe, regardless of the follow-up? Or maybe there's an inherent problem at Covercraft with the G Coupe, and they have/had inaccurate cut specs on file.

Whatever the reason, the OP is in the Sedan forum, and the Sedan fitment is spot on.
The following users liked this post:
goldbug (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 10:06 AM
goldbug
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's strange. Every Covercraft shade I've owned has fit perfectly, no gaps, no overlap. You think maybe you got sent one cut for the Sedan instead of the Coupe, regardless of the follow-up? Or maybe there's an inherent problem at Covercraft with the G Coupe, and they have/had inaccurate cut specs on file.
I honestly thought that also but triple checked the part numbers for my order and what I was sent, and it was right. I purchased directly from the covercraft site too. It still fit well enough and did the job, but the small gap on the edges of the pillars bothered me enough to return it, and I was worried about having floppy sun visors start to fall on me. But yeah my expectations were for a perfect fit after seeing a few cars with them. Might be a better fit in the sedans, but i'll have to try and dig up my old pictures of it. I can take one of the weathertech if anyone is curious but it looks and fits exactly like it does in the pictures on the Z1 website.

At least it's good to know the sedan sun shade fitment is spot on!
Old 08-31-2020, 10:14 AM
Rochester
Administrator

My daughter has one of those "roll up" sunshades in her car, and after a couple years it's turned to crap. Can't smooth it out flush with the window, because it's all curled up and deformed.

Granted, it's not Weather Tech... probably some Advance Auto garbage. But it does have the crew of the Millennium Falcon on it, LOL.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:02 PM
mzi
Registered Member

I saw instructions video on Covercraft website (on the sun shade page) and they said that the customer should expect gaps on the two ends of the shade. In fact, they even showed and pointed it out in the video.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:15 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

Originally Posted by mzi
I saw instructions video on Covercraft website (on the sun shade page) and they said that the customer should expect gaps on the two ends of the shade. In fact, they even showed and pointed it out in the video.
I wish I still had the picture but couldn't find it. It was much more than a small gap on my coupe, definitely not as clean of a fit as you can see in Rochester's sedan pics- it relied solely on the visors to hold it up in my car too. I remember seeing that also on their site but didn't think it should be as bad as it was for my coupe and it just bothered me a little too much so I just returned it, no sweat. A few friends who have the same Covercraft sun shade for their cars have perfect fitment also and swear by it. My buddy with the SS who has a covercraft shade was surprised mine fit so awfully on my coupe.

Either way you've got a sedan so you'll be fine with the Covercraft and can't go wrong with it Also, wasn't trying to hijack this thread as a coupe guy and deter you from Covercraft, just wanted to share my experience with my Covercraft since it can always vary.

Rochester, we also have a $20 Bob's Burger's sunshade for my wife's car that was one of the best purchases I've ever made solely for entertainment purposes - sometimes you just have to haha
Old 09-01-2020, 07:42 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Honestly one of the best purchases I’ve made. Had mine for 2 years. Folds well, still in excellent condition, and fits amazing. You can get custom premier style sunshades off their website. You can also order a bag to store them in. Just be careful when you fold to prevent unnecessary wrinkles. Kept the car cooler than my older one, or maybe just a placebo effect. Still, a super excellent investment. Highly recommend and don’t cheap out on your baby, man!
Old 09-05-2020, 01:38 PM
Ace_07
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll add to the recommendations for the Covercraft UVS shield. My G37x is a coupe and yes there are some small gaps to the sides but that is required otherwise it won't fit in the windshield. The end pieces do not sag down at all.

Plus you can semi-match to your car's color; my Lapis Blue (paint code RAW) G37 wears a Blue Metallic UVS100 shield. It's not an exact match but close enough and stands out from the typical generic silver offering.

Edit: ordered mine from AutoGeek, not sure if that had anything to do with it as they just drop-shipped it from the manufacturer. Wait for a holiday sale from AutoGeek (maybe Labor Day or Black Friday) and save some cash.

Last edited by Ace_07; 09-05-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You guys and your gaps, LOL. Made me go take a studied look at the fitment of the Covercraft. And wouldn't you know, when centered there's a 1" window gap at each side. I just never noticed that as a thing. But there it is, so I stand corrected. It's not 100% perfect fit without gaps. Better said would be a good fit with 1" gap.

And it doesn't stay up by itself, you have to use the visors. Of course you have to use the visors, but I assumed that's the way these things are. Does someone make a shade that's 100% coverage and flat to the window without using the visors?
Old 09-05-2020, 03:21 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I ordered one today. They gave me a 12% discount LABOR12 is the code.