G37 Sedan

G37x 7 AT - Overheating at the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 01:41 AM
Haris Wadud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37x 7 AT - Overheating at the track

So my g37x sedan 7 speed auto keeps overheating at the track after about 7-8mins of racing

So after 8mins usually of racing, the car will upshift on its own even when I'm in manual mode when I'm flooring it. It will deny me downshifts. I feel a loss in power even if put it back in D and floor and it wont downshift. It won't even downshift in DS mode as well under hard braking like it normally does.

I have to keep pressing on the downshift paddle a few times before it let's me downshift 1-2 gears. I think the trans is overheating. Could be the oil as well that's Overheating
​​​​​​
After a 15-20min cool down in the pits, I take the car out to the track again and the trans up shifts and downshifts every time perfectly until 8mins are up and then it will start upshfting on its own and denies downshifts. Again loss in power.

Car is stock. Only has injen longtube cai and muffler delete

I want to track this car once a month and I'm really disappointed with the way its performing on the track.

On the street never run into this problem.
Trans fluid has been flushed regularly

What do you guys think I need?
Oil cooler ?
Trans cooler?
Has anyone else had this issue with their 7AT at the track?
Old 08-19-2020, 09:59 AM
EcstaticG37XS
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
You need a transmission and oil cooler. This is the first thing 370z guys do when they get serious about tracking.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:47 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 274 Posts
If I were you, I would use something like OBD Fusion to find out the engine oil temperature AND the transmission fluid temperature.
Then you will know will know which one is too hot, or maybe they are both OK and it is something else...

Also, you might want to scan for pending trouble codes.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:09 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by EcstaticG37XS
You need a transmission and oil cooler. This is the first thing 370z guys do when they get serious about tracking.
Originally Posted by SonicVQ
If I were you, I would use something like OBD Fusion to find out the engine oil temperature AND the transmission fluid temperature.
Then you will know will know which one is too hot, or maybe they are both OK and it is something else...

Also, you might want to scan for pending trouble codes.
Those are he best two advices you'll get here.

Having OBD fusion has brought the awareness of the temperatures. 30 mins of city/hwy driving at moderate throttle and 1-2 WOT at 100F ambient has seen 180-190s with a 6 inch cooler with a thermostat.

Downloading:
Torque pro + the infiniti PID add on is a must ( wont read trans temp but twice as simple to work around)
OBDfsuion + advanced infiniti plug in is another must( Youll be able to read any control unit from the car along with pressures from your tires)

Once you have downloaded these, replicate the results and see what your transmission temps are. Everyone knows the X will run higher temps, just how high are they? Only you can find out.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:18 AM
Lee Nguyen
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
You need a transmission cooler, and make sure to use some good transmission fluid too. Change it every 20k or so. I don't do heavy stuff with my 7at, and I change mine every 30k miles.