G37 Sedan

Is FI worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 04:44 PM
ChocolateTaco
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is FI worth it?

So as the title says I'm curious if adding a turbo or supercharger is worth the time, money, and effort you have to put into it. Currently I finished doing my bolt-ons and plan on getting an etune with uprev soon which will end my engine mods for the time being with FI being sometime down the line but im curious what people who've added a turbo or supercharger have to say on its worth as I'm considering getting a mustang gt or charger scat pack instead since they both sport 450+hp stock. Is it worth it or should I just get the mustang or charger once I'm done with my g37?
Old 07-27-2020, 05:27 PM
Infin88
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Id say keep the cash for cosmetic or performance mods on your new ride.

But im NA, so maybe my answer doesnt qualify
Old 07-27-2020, 06:06 PM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ChocolateTaco
So as the title says I'm curious if adding a turbo or supercharger is worth the time, money, and effort you have to put into it. Currently I finished doing my bolt-ons and plan on getting an etune with uprev soon which will end my engine mods for the time being with FI being sometime down the line but im curious what people who've added a turbo or supercharger have to say on its worth as I'm considering getting a mustang gt or charger scat pack instead since they both sport 450+hp stock. Is it worth it or should I just get the mustang or charger once I'm done with my g37?
How far into bolt-ons are you? What transmission you rocking?
Old 07-27-2020, 06:13 PM
ChocolateTaco
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cmckenzie15
How far into bolt-ons are you? What transmission you rocking?
rn I have k&n drop in filters (heard/read that good cai aren't worth the money for the amount of hp it adds unless your trying to built a track/max hp car so i went with good drop ins), berk hfc, basic aftermarket y pipe from Amazon (this was more to fix an exhaust leak than performance gains), and manzo y back. Another notable "performance" mod i have is the pedal commander. Also im rocking the 7AT thought sometimes I wish I got the manual.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:22 PM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

rn I have k&n drop in filters (heard/read that good cai aren't worth the money for the amount of hp it adds unless your trying to built a track/max hp car so i went with good drop ins), berk hfc, basic aftermarket y pipe from Amazon (this was more to fix an exhaust leak than performance gains), and manzo y back. Another notable "performance" mod i have is the pedal commander. Also im rocking the 7AT thought sometimes I wish I got the manual.
Alright so you're not deep really into it. Basically the issue you're going to run into is the trans. The block will hold a decent amount of power but the standard 7AT trans is your bottleneck on FI. You'll be looking at around 10k probably for the basics to get the car running on FI (not including getting the trans built) so only you can really say if its worth it or not. If you decide to go the work of full bolt ons you will be making around 330 to the wheels. Its a dilemma and ive been facing it too whether to build out this or go into another platform for boost.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:43 PM
ChocolateTaco
Registered Member

Alright so you're not deep really into it. Basically the issue you're going to run into is the trans. The block will hold a decent amount of power but the standard 7AT trans is your bottleneck on FI. You'll be looking at around 10k probably for the basics to get the car running on FI (not including getting the trans built) so only you can really say if its worth it or not. If you decide to go the work of full bolt ons you will be making around 330 to the wheels. Its a dilemma and ive been facing it too whether to build out this or go into another platform for boost.
God d*mn 10k just for the basics? Yea I think ill just put that money into a mustang or charger instead. Doesn't sound worth it in my opinion. Thanks for the response!
Old 07-27-2020, 08:12 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
God d*mn 10k just for the basics? Yea I think ill just put that money into a mustang or charger instead. Doesn't sound worth it in my opinion. Thanks for the response!
Tranny alone will run $5000 from Level 10 Performance. Add in $7k for the supercharger and you're at 12k just in parts. Then someone has to install all of it! I'd say EASY $15k.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:32 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
FI is definitely not going to be cheap. I would just go to another platform.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:01 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Received 160 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115
Tranny alone will run $5000 from Level 10 Performance. Add in $7k for the supercharger and you're at 12k just in parts. Then someone has to install all of it! I'd say EASY $15k.
Everything quoted here is 100% accurate. However I have seen an alternative popping up for the 7AT guys- using a transmission from the appropriate (AWD/RWD) from a Q60/Q50. A few guys on the FB forums and Youtube have been running this setup with no issues, and it's already built to handle boost. I'm seeing prices < $1K total. Other option is to manual swap your G... but that comes with it's own set of issues.

This is my current dilemma as well, as the Stillen S/C is $7K new, and still requires an A/A kit to see #'s over 400. Sourcing used parts can halve the cost- but it will never be as cost effective as purchasing a native FI platform and just tuning it (assuming you sell the car or just want a N/A DD).

There's a guy in Houston with a 3.7 Q50 with 800+ HP on a heavily modified Stillen Kit- which is probably closer to the north end of what we can expect to achieve on the platform. Below is his cost breakdown.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:02 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
Im going fast intentions twin turbo in a few months here is the break down
twin turbo kit 12k
7at upgrade 4300$ plus install 675$
return fuel system and all the goodies 1080$
Twin turbo install 3500$
retune i think 600$
so roughly 22k

so asking if its worth it is up to you.. is putting 22k in your car with no little return worth it to you..
i never plan on getting rid of the car so to me yes plus im not paying for it so i don't care!! thank you stock market

Last edited by chuckie311; 07-29-2020 at 07:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Whiterocket (08-20-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 07:06 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
there is a way better kit then the stillen kit out there.. go to the 370z forum and look for topgunzz Ace superchager kit people are making 600+ WHP

Originally Posted by deep0542
Everything quoted here is 100% accurate. However I have seen an alternative popping up for the 7AT guys- using a transmission from the appropriate (AWD/RWD) from a Q60/Q50. A few guys on the FB forums and Youtube have been running this setup with no issues, and it's already built to handle boost. I'm seeing prices < $1K total. Other option is to manual swap your G... but that comes with it's own set of issues.

This is my current dilemma as well, as the Stillen S/C is $7K new, and still requires an A/A kit to see #'s over 400. Sourcing used parts can halve the cost- but it will never be as cost effective as purchasing a native FI platform and just tuning it (assuming you sell the car or just want a N/A DD).

There's a guy in Houston with a 3.7 Q50 with 800+ HP on a heavily modified Stillen Kit- which is probably closer to the north end of what we can expect to achieve on the platform. Below is his cost breakdown.

https://youtu.be/fT4RnlGDy70
Old 07-29-2020, 09:18 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chuckie311
there is a way better kit then the stillen kit out there.. go to the 370z forum and look for topgunzz Ace superchager kit people are making 600+ WHP
Nice! I’ve seen his A2A conversion kits, but haven’t seen the newer ACE kit. That does improve the $/HP ratio considerably.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:56 PM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Nice! I’ve seen his A2A conversion kits, but haven’t seen the newer ACE kit. That does improve the $/HP ratio considerably.
deep, soho motor sports has a full complete A2A kit that is basically like the topgunz kit. If I’m going boost it’s with that kit. Also keep in mind if you do run the updated 7at from the q platform you will need a custom drive shaft. I believe it’s really only built for like 500 hp so it’s an interesting trade off.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:19 AM
deep0542
Registered Member

deep, soho motor sports has a full complete A2A kit that is basically like the topgunz kit. If I’m going boost it’s with that kit. Also keep in mind if you do run the updated 7at from the q platform you will need a custom drive shaft. I believe it’s really only built for like 500 hp so it’s an interesting trade off.
Yep, the Stillen kit + Soho A2A were the original plans, but that’s $10k (assuming new) vs the $6.2k for the ACE. But yeah can’t go wrong with the Soho.

From what I’m reading the AWD guys don’t need to shorten their driveshafts, but I’ve also yet to see anyone with an X do it. The Tranny can hold up to 600 wtq, but from a pricing perspective I agree it presents an interesting trade off.

FWIW: The guy in the YouTube video blew out his L10 Transmission 3x times, leading him to just manual swap his Q.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:42 AM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Yep, the Stillen kit + Soho A2A were the original plans, but that’s $10k (assuming new) vs the $6.2k for the ACE. But yeah can’t go wrong with the Soho.

From what I’m reading the AWD guys don’t need to shorten their driveshafts, but I’ve also yet to see anyone with an X do it. The Tranny can hold up to 600 wtq, but from a pricing perspective I agree it presents an interesting trade off.

FWIW: The guy in the YouTube video blew out his L10 Transmission 3x times, leading him to just manual swap his Q.
Interesting, I thought the Soho kit was the best pricing complete A2A kit but I guess not. I wonder what is different about the ACE that its that much cheaper. I didnt see that it uses Stillens bracket for mounting the supercharger so possibly he doesnt have that overhead. Now I am definitely more interested in the ACE kit haha.

I havent seen any AWD guys either but Im assuming we would have to as well since the VR30 doesnt quite line up the same as the 3.7.

That Q is an absolute monster, when he got onto the onramp and just let it rip I was shocked. When he said he blew 3 LVL 10s I knew then that it was a waste but he is also pushing a lot of power. The most intriguing thing I have seen so far for an alternative for the trans for the 7AT guys is some one is in the works for making an adapter plate for a BMW DCT I believe. That would be a blast but too many unknowns right now.

After some research the numbers for trq are horrendous on the trannys. Now this is what they are rated from factory so its low but makes sense for where they are stock power wise. Our tranny is rated at 400nm or 295 ft lbs while the upgraded RE701B is rated for 600nm or 443 ft lbs. After an AMS Stage 1 on the VR30 it jumps to around 475 ftlbs of trq which is already over the rated amount which I find funny. Again thats just factory numbers, havent heard too many people have issues under 500ftlbs though.

I do find it interesting though the amount of boosted Gs I am seeing on social media that doesnt look like theyve done a lot of research on boosting this platform. I saw one guy has blown close to 5 transmissions but hes also putting down 600 whp on twins which will blow either of those trannys easily. It is such a pain deciding to boost this or not. I wish it wasnt such a pain to swap a manual into an X.
The following users liked this post:
deep0542 (07-31-2020)

Quick Reply: Is FI worth it?