G37 Sedan

Why do only 3 wheels spin?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 06:28 PM
Kali4nia
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do only 3 wheels spin?

Call me a noob but while doing an ATF flush and fill on my 2012 G37x sedan I decided to go through the gears to make sure the new fluid has a chance to circulate. I obviously did this while the car was on 4 jacks icyw.

So as it was in gear I decided to walk around the car to see if I could hear any weird noises coming from the brake system (which is a good opportunity to do that cuz it's hard to do while you're driving) and I noticed that the passenger front side wheel was spinning erratically (stop and go and very weak) I could even stop it from turning with my hand while the other 3 wheels were spinning nicely. Is this normal? Does it have something to do with Nissan's AWD system? Please help!
​​​​​
Old 07-25-2020, 08:32 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
You wouldn't have this issue if you had limited slip/posi. Look it up on youtube.

Old 07-25-2020, 09:50 PM
Kali4nia
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
You wouldn't have this issue if you had limited slip/posi. Look it up on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv0jYDWp0ZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujsxq9WBllU
I know what limited slip is and I know G series vehicles do not have it. Plus even if they did, the LSD, as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), only applies to axles where the power is delivered, and in the G's case, that's the rear wheels. The AWD only kicks in when it detects slippage, at which point the power is distributed 50/50 to front and back axles. So, particularly in my case, it doesn't explain why 1 wheel in the front moves erratically while the other moves just fine. It's literally like there is no power being delivered to that wheel. Even in reverse it behaves the same way.
​​
So frankly I don't see your point of pointing out that I should have an LSD.

Has anyone else ever tried this on their G? Is it normal or does it need to be checked out. By the way, no error codes on the diagnostic. If this is normal, can someone please explain why so and how it works? Much appreciated.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:40 PM
Kali4nia
Registered Member

Bump Bump
Old 07-29-2020, 01:35 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 139 Likes on 111 Posts
Most likely rotors are hitting a high point which is slowing it down, then as it gets to a low point in the rotor is spins quickly, and just goes through that cycle. If anything take out your pads and see if it does the same thing.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:12 AM
Kali4nia
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Said Amir
Most likely rotors are hitting a high point which is slowing it down, then as it gets to a low point in the rotor is spins quickly, and just goes through that cycle. If anything take out your pads and see if it does the same thing.
If what you are suggesting is true, then I should hear a rubbing noise every time the pad hits the rotor at the hight point. Not happening. Pads are fine. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:33 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Internal friction?

Here's a good example. Motorcycle on the center stand (back wheel off the ground). Clutch engaged but trans in neutral. Rear wheel spins at a low/moderate rate until engine/trans warms up.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:36 PM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Kali4nia
I know what limited slip is and I know G series vehicles do not have it. Plus even if they did, the LSD, as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), only applies to axles where the power is delivered, and in the G's case, that's the rear wheels. The AWD only kicks in when it detects slippage, at which point the power is distributed 50/50 to front and back axles. So, particularly in my case, it doesn't explain why 1 wheel in the front moves erratically while the other moves just fine. It's literally like there is no power being delivered to that wheel. Even in reverse it behaves the same way.
​​
So frankly I don't see your point of pointing out that I should have an LSD.

Has anyone else ever tried this on their G? Is it normal or does it need to be checked out. By the way, no error codes on the diagnostic. If this is normal, can someone please explain why so and how it works? Much appreciated.
Not sure what your current issue is or what's causing it, but RWD sports have VLSD.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:41 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Wheel bearing?