G37 Sedan

Looking for suggestions on build

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 11:30 PM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
Lightbulb Looking for suggestions on build

I have a 2012 G37s Sedan in white. I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on a clear path, which I want to have in mind before committing to any major changes. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

TL;DR: I'm looking for color scheme recommendations (with white as a base color, and no red or carbon fiber spam) and any wheel or other part recommendations are welcome too but I'm not interested in an obnoxious look or sound.

Important notes:
  • I think carbon fiber is played out, visually, and it's also almost always not actually carbon fiber. I want to avoid "carbon fiber" as for as appearance goes.
  • I think red and black is also played out and want to avoid it.
  • I want to keep the car light colored as a base color due to the high heat and humidity conditions in the area I live.
  • I don't like anything excessive.. no flashy interior light strips or plastidip.. no budget routes to do some kind of "fast mod for cheap". I want everything done well.

Current modifications (including changes I want to do to each, if applicable):
(Some of these modifications came on the car when I bought it and some were done by myself)
  • GT-R Start button (I want to get a customized LEDs OEM G37 button. I contacted someone on FB who said he would do it before but haven't heard back yet. If anyone knows another start button modder, please let me know.)
  • Ferrada F8 wheels. I'm not sure on offsets but they are 19" in matte bronze with a gloss black lip (I plan to replace the wheels.. more on this later.)
  • Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires. Rear 255/40/19. Front 235/40/19. (I plan to replace the tires.)
  • Cusco Strut Bar (I'm thinking about getting one in another color which also lays more flat, like one I saw on a build thread.)
  • Lowered on BC Racing BR coil overs (I plan on getting airbags. I was going to get an ENDO-CVT but it's no longer possible since AccuAir went out of business.)
  • Carbon fiber spoiler, I think from eBay? I didn't put it on there so I don't know. (I plan on getting a smaller profile spoiler that isn't carbon fiber styled.)
  • Hallbuilt exhaust with 3" Y-Pipe single exit with 4.5" tip (I plan on getting a Stillen catback exhaust.)
  • Grille is dipped, I think? or wrapped? if that's a thing.. in black. Emblem is stock. (I plan on getting a mesh grille most likely due to plans to install a CAI.)
  • Rainguards on all 4 windows (I'm not sure I like these because it's difficult to reach out the windows at drive-thrus lol, plus they still allow water to drip inside sometimes when the window is down.)
  • Tint shop says that my rear and rear sides are 12-13% and my front sides are 28%. I came in to make it darker on the fronts and they basically wouldn't do it because it's already definitely legal in my state the way it is. Windshield has no tint and while I think it looks good I'm concerned about visibility at night and front tint is definitely illegal besides top 5" in my state so no point because I'll just be getting tickets constantly with the huge amount of cops here.
  • Exterior chrome trim delete vinyl wrap (I plan on getting this re-wrapped.)
  • iDataLink CMMIXA0 Remote Start.
  • Garmin DriveSmart 65 with Amazon Alexa hard-wired.
  • ProClips mount and Bosche Qi Charger hard-wired.
  • Infiniti logo on ground when opening door (can't remember what those are called.)
  • Trunk LED: Diode Dynamics HP5 92 lumens 5000K.
  • Map LEDs: Diode Dynamics HP5 92 lumens 5000K.
  • Vanity LEDs: Diode Dynamics SMF1 16 lumens 6000K.
  • Glove Box LED: Diode Dynamics SMD1 16 lumens 6000K.
  • Trunk LED: Diode Dynamics HP5 92 lumens 5000K.
  • License Plate LEDs: Diode Dynamics HP5 92 lumens 6000K.
  • Backup LEDs: XP50 410 lumens 6000K.
  • Rear Turn Signals: Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn Modules.
  • Rear Tail Light housings are tinted (May like to go darker on these.)
  • License plate frame is white silicone.
  • Used Carsmo ***** are in the hands of USPS and should have arrived today.

My main concern right now is trying to figure out a color scheme to have in mind. I wanted to get VViViD Space Pearl White Gloss wrap for my car but it seems to be eternally out of stock. I think Satin Pearl White is also a decent option, but not Satin Ghost Flip White. Aside from the obvious difference in white over the stock white paint job, the reason I want to wrap the car is also the pinstripes. Shortly after purchasing the car, some moron damaged the left side of it and I had to get it repaired. The shop used vinyl to match the pinstripes to the right side but there's a painted on Infiniti logo there. The right side is also fully painted on.

In general, I've been considering a white/black/blue or white/black/gold (not excessively bright/shiny) scheme.

I want a flush fitment or maybe a little tucked but I don't really like visible camber.

As for wheels, if I manage to be able to get my hands on some Space Pearl White Gloss wrap, since it has a blue shine to it in the light, I was thinking gloss black wheels with Monterey Blue (or similar) calipers.

Another idea was if I get Satin Pearl White, the wheels need to be more visible and black won't work, since the wrap would be a little "dull" since it's satin... that I would go for some more "active" looking wheels and get them in the blue I mentioned above then get the calipers in white, like these:
View this post on Instagram

If I do go with blue in the scheme, this also gives me the option to powder coat the Stillen Gen3 intake I plan on buying. I was contemplating for a long time if I want to cut the support brace or not and if I want to go with admintuning but since I'm not looking to beat a bunch of records (and buy larger throttle bodies + other things) I decided to just stick with Stillen and that I'm okay with cutting the braces. If I go with gold, I'll probably leave the Stillen intake silver. The intake is why I wanted a mesh grille. I'm not sure how I feel about how mesh grilles look but I like the idea of the filters being visible. Black mesh looks better, but from what I've seen the available ones look pretty cheap and require a lot of workarounds to get them to attach flush. I don't want it looking tacky.

I'm undecided currently on getting Fast Intentions High Flow Cats because I want to reduce the loudness I have right now, especially in regards to cold starts. I like how the combo of these HFCs sounds with the Stillen catback, though. If I get the HFCs I'll probably get an admintune or Zeb or something like that. I'm not interested in pops and fire... I just want a performance map and an MPG map. Maybe a 2step if possible .

For wheels I've been looking at work emotion D9R, Concept One CS-55, Rohana RF-2, ESR SR-06 and Aodhon AH03.

Other:
I'll probably remove my engine cover or get a new one and paint it. The Infiniti logo is missing from it. I'm considering a Nismo oil cap. I want to replace (upgrade) the rotors and brakes and probably get stainless steel brake lines. I want custom headlights with halos and switch backs and DRLs at the very least (not sure if I want them tinted, but if so it would probably be a light tint). I want upgraded headlights and fog lights but I'm going to leave the fog lights as a yellow color temperature. I'm considering side skirts, a rear diffuser and front splitter. I'm considering adding 1 or 2 12" JL subs with a custom box and probably an Alpine PDX-v9 so that MAYBE I will change out the speakers.. but the Bose system is actually decent in my opinion and the main issue is the sub bass. I do not intend on replacing the head unit since there's no nice dash kit (like how the old G37 and the G35 had the JDM kit). I'm considering changing the interior trim highlight colors but not to fake wood, carbon fiber, or red. I'm considering changing the shifter to a Q60 shifter (it's an auto and I don't care if you hate that). I'm considering a hood with a dual row of air vents. My analog clock doesn't illuminate and I intend on fixing that. I'm considering de-badging the "I N F I N I T I" emblem on the back. I'm considering a light-weight drive shaft. I'm considering these door sills: https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...oor-sills.html. I'm considering removing the metal bolster plates in the driver sport seat.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:56 AM
FreightTrain
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Seems like you already have most of your build planned out. My best suggestion is to look through other member's build threads and read what they have to say and their experiences, then go from there. Everyone has a different opinion on what looks good and what they do/don't like.

Just a couple suggestions;
You can powdercoat your current front strut bar and shave it down slightly for a more flush fit. If you're going for looks, the soul function bar looks sick. For the price, I opted for Megan and powdercoated it.

FI RHFC won't change the sound of your exhaust much. I imagine your single exit is much louder than RHFC + Stillen CBE will be

Look into Wells Visor for new rainguards. I'm not a fan of your current set. I've always felt they looked out of place. There's another company that makes them in all black as well if you don't want the chrome trim. Wells are almost impossible to wrap completely due to about a 1/2in of the chrome strip that sits under the plastic guards.

If it's hard to "reach out the windows at drive-thrus" I assume it's because you're taller. Somewhere in this forum there's a quick fix to lower your seat down about 1/2-1in that might help you.

With the Gen3's, you're not cutting any actual braces, it's just thick plastic.

If you're going with a mesh grill because you want your intake filters showing, just remember those mesh grills are going to allow more rain water in then stock. I'd suggest a rain guard, but that will hide your filters.

If you know how to solder, replacing the LEDs on your start button is simple. If you're going to have someone do it for you, maybe consider having them do your clock and possibly your gauges if you want to freshen them up.

Look into the Tesla - style radios for our cars. There were a few issues with their gen1 series, but I believe they're on Gen2 now and haven't seen many complaints. I'd wrap the trim to match your interior, but they do update the radio area nicely.

I highly recommend a tune. Even if it's not for power, they really help get your engine breathing better and your shifts smoother. After a few mods, you're probably running rich anyways.

For a trunk spoiler, I'm not really a fan of any of the aftermarkets. Either go OEM paint matched, or get a duck bill spoiler before you wrap your car.

A JDM Nismo Oil cap has some clout, but you can get fake ones for like $10 that are actually decent quality. I don't cheap out usually, but a cap is a cap.

I don't have suggestions on color or wheels as that's subjective. Personally I'm a big fan of white and satin gold, but if you're not looking for flashy I wouldn't do it. Have you considered a satin/gloss copper or bronze? Might be just enough to pop without looking too ricey. Similar to your current wheels, but a few shades lighter. This would allow you to go with any other color as an accent color. Blue would look alright, but I personally wouldn't. It might not be your style, but a deep gloss purple might look good with the white. Think of the Minnesota Vikings (but nicer tones) lol.

I'm sure I missed some stuff, but I tried to cover what seemed like actual questions.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:17 PM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by FreightTrain
Seems like you already have most of your build planned out. My best suggestion is to look through other member's build threads and read what they have to say and their experiences, then go from there. Everyone has a different opinion on what looks good and what they do/don't like.

Just a couple suggestions;
You can powdercoat your current front strut bar and shave it down slightly for a more flush fit. If you're going for looks, the soul function bar looks sick. For the price, I opted for Megan and powdercoated it.

FI RHFC won't change the sound of your exhaust much. I imagine your single exit is much louder than RHFC + Stillen CBE will be

Look into Wells Visor for new rainguards. I'm not a fan of your current set. I've always felt they looked out of place. There's another company that makes them in all black as well if you don't want the chrome trim. Wells are almost impossible to wrap completely due to about a 1/2in of the chrome strip that sits under the plastic guards.

If it's hard to "reach out the windows at drive-thrus" I assume it's because you're taller. Somewhere in this forum there's a quick fix to lower your seat down about 1/2-1in that might help you.

With the Gen3's, you're not cutting any actual braces, it's just thick plastic.

If you're going with a mesh grill because you want your intake filters showing, just remember those mesh grills are going to allow more rain water in then stock. I'd suggest a rain guard, but that will hide your filters.

If you know how to solder, replacing the LEDs on your start button is simple. If you're going to have someone do it for you, maybe consider having them do your clock and possibly your gauges if you want to freshen them up.

Look into the Tesla - style radios for our cars. There were a few issues with their gen1 series, but I believe they're on Gen2 now and haven't seen many complaints. I'd wrap the trim to match your interior, but they do update the radio area nicely.

I highly recommend a tune. Even if it's not for power, they really help get your engine breathing better and your shifts smoother. After a few mods, you're probably running rich anyways.

For a trunk spoiler, I'm not really a fan of any of the aftermarkets. Either go OEM paint matched, or get a duck bill spoiler before you wrap your car.

A JDM Nismo Oil cap has some clout, but you can get fake ones for like $10 that are actually decent quality. I don't cheap out usually, but a cap is a cap.

I don't have suggestions on color or wheels as that's subjective. Personally I'm a big fan of white and satin gold, but if you're not looking for flashy I wouldn't do it. Have you considered a satin/gloss copper or bronze? Might be just enough to pop without looking too ricey. Similar to your current wheels, but a few shades lighter. This would allow you to go with any other color as an accent color. Blue would look alright, but I personally wouldn't. It might not be your style, but a deep gloss purple might look good with the white. Think of the Minnesota Vikings (but nicer tones) lol.

I'm sure I missed some stuff, but I tried to cover what seemed like actual questions.
I have been looking at other build threads and builds on Fitment Industries. I'm just really indecisive.

I'm looking for easy and fast solutions so I don't really want to shave down the bar, especially when I can just sell it after replacing it. I thought about getting it powder coated but this also means removing any imperfections/refreshing/renewing it and finding someone around here to powder coat. I'd really just rather buy one new. And shaving it down won't give the look I'm talking about because it's not just the bar itself, it's the brackets too. One of the build threads here had a black one with pretty flat mounting areas and it was really nice.

I was also thinking the RHFC + Stillen CBE would be quieter than my single exit, and someone here told me it will be louder and I should avoid the RHFC so I'm unsure.

Thanks for recommendation for visors and yes I would be interested in black ones if I replace the ones I have.

I've also considered the issue of rain getting into the filters and apparently it's not a big problem unless people make a habit of flooring it in heavy rain. If it's a true concern I would stick with a regular grille, most likely.

I know how to solder but got rid of my soldering stuff and don't want to buy stuff again or spend the time soldering. I was thinking of just buying a replacement and dropping it in.

I've seen the tesla radios and am not interested.

Have you seen the Stillen spoiler? It's close to OEM iirc.

I get the point about the cap I just don't buy knockoffs in general so I didn't even know there was a knock off. I just saw it while browsing z1motorsports and thought it would be nice.

Purple probably would look good with white but I'm not sure I want to go so extreme into reds/purples/oranges/yellows/etc.. I think blue may be the brightest thing I'd do aside from white or a light gold that isn't really shiny.

Thanks for answers

Old 05-22-2020, 05:05 PM
AnotherVQ
Registered Member

Might stick to coilovers and lower it more. Maybe get something to protect the underneath.