G37 Sedan

G37 sedan axle back HKS vs Tanabe Medallion

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 03:13 AM
bombchu
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post G37 sedan axle back HKS vs Tanabe Medallion

Hey guys I am looking to purchase an axle back only, and having a hard time deciding between these two
From videos I've seen the HKS sounds a bit louder and better than the Tanabe, but based on pure looks, people seem to like the Tanabe more over HKS's big cans

Price is also a factor here HKS is $410 vs Tanabe at $535

Anyone own these axle backs please help me decided which to pull the trigger on

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2020, 01:37 AM
yoshhhhh
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I went with the Tanabes, felt it gave a cleaner look. My IG has pictures. Yoshhhhh_v36
Old 04-05-2020, 05:23 AM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I heard Tanabe's are pretty quiet as far as aftermarket exhaust go
Old 04-05-2020, 02:01 PM
FreightTrain
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I was in the same boat years ago. It just depends on what your end goals are. I wanted to make my car more sport-car rather than luxury so I opted for the HKS. The cans are big, but the sound is sex. With normal driving, you can keep them pretty tame. If you get on it they really open up. My only complaint is sometimes when you're cruising around 40ish, your car will shift up to 6/7 (auto) and there's a bad drone around 1100-1300 RPMs. I've gotten used to the trans and can keep the car from shifting into that range, or just downshift if it gets there. They don't look obnoxious, but you can tell they aren't stock either. If you're going for a more aggressive look in the end, I'd opt for HKS. If you're looking to keep it more stock looking/sound I'd go for Tanabe.

I've seen some posts where users will black-out their cans which seems to tone the look down, but I personally like the look. If I ever decide to blackout all of the trim I might consider it, but with the chrome trim around the windows, chrome on my window visors, and chrome spoiler, they look at home without ricing it out with too much chrome. Color of your car might also play a factor though. My car is blue slate and I think it flows well. If I had a more neutral color; Grey, Silver, White, Black. They might be a bit too much.

Last thing I'd consider is if you're planning to lower the car eventually. Due to the size of the HKS tips, they stick out a little further and going too low will cause them to scrape occasionally. I've haven't seen too many people complain about this issue, but I know it has occurred. Just something else to consider. I doubt a 1"-1.5" drop will effect it much, but going lower and I'm sure it will. The tanabe's will give you a little extra room if you choose to drop.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:36 AM
doctorg37xs
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I went with a tanabe axle back and would do it again 100x over
Old 04-08-2020, 04:55 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
I went with Tanabe also. Initially, I thought there was no sound difference from stock but, if you stand behind the car there is a pleasing low grumble, but quiet. A bit more noticeable if you get on the gas but still rather tame.
I am installing new FI RHFC I've had sitting in my garage all winter as soon as the weekend weather gives me 2 good days. I am trying to keep the exhaust relatively quiet but want to hear that low grumble from the tanaba more. I think the RHFC should do that.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:11 PM
KImChee
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
The Tanabe is quiet, unless you get on it. It's slightly louder and deeper than stock. A lot of people like the Tanabe with the Vibrant resonators.