Originally Posted by stealthee
Or you can be even smarter and not get married. LOL
LOL
Old 04-13-2020, 04:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by mummy2
If they were scum before all this they are going to be scum during and after this. Of course if you must take your car in, take it to a good shop, if they exist. Or one that's the least scummiest.
All we can expect out of people is the kind of person we're willing to be ourselves.

I'm no saint, but come on man.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-13-2020 at 05:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rotarymike (04-14-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 10:58 PM
aleks77
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I assume you are getting materials at cost if you are only spending $400?
Ya i guess i should mention $400 covers just the paint and clear coat, and yes at wholesale shop price.

Everything else like primer, masking tape, masking paper, etc I already have at the shop.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:01 PM
aleks77
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
He's gotta be.... I just spent about $110 just on the PPG paint for my front bumper and lip. Not even including primer or clear.
That seems pretty expensive, Im using Automotive Art Motobase LV for basecoat (paint) and 1/2 a gallon (so 1 gallon sprayable after reducer) cost me $130 canadian. This is enough for an entire color change. Clear coat about 1 Gallon sprayable was $240 canadian. And i opted for a mid-range quality (pretty much what every bodyshop uses), I could have gone even cheaper but i do notice the quality suffers especially in clears.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:42 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Last time I sprayed I used Acme brand clear. Its not top of the line, but its also not something like Kirker.

Looking at my last receipt
Primer/sealer is about $45 a qt (that includes the price of the activator)
Base is around $80 a qt (mixed ready to spray)
Clear is around $38 a qt (including the price of the hardner)

Thinking back on it I think my $1000 estimate includes where I already sprayed the bay, jambs, etc

Here is a few shots of what mine looked like when I did it

Quarantine Projects-eizc6mp.jpg

Quarantine Projects-i1we2qn.jpg

Don't mind the dent in the rear quarter. That will be covered with overbody widebody quarter panels. Mind you I took that pic less than 6 weeks after I acquired the car. I stripped the car to the bones right there in my yard and painted the stuff I did right there. I'm actually about 98% sure that for now I am going to get a gallon of cheap Summit Racing Battleship grey paint just to get it one color for now (The car is currently black, white, red, and the blue.) I don't want to go spend $700 on paint if I am going to be out of a job for awhile, but spending $100 to do it won't be so bad. I also figure getting a solid color on it will help see any other areas that might need fixed. I'd rather waste cheap paint on that, than better paint.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:51 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by aleks77
That seems pretty expensive, Im using Automotive Art Motobase LV for basecoat (paint) and 1/2 a gallon (so 1 gallon sprayable after reducer) cost me $130 canadian. This is enough for an entire color change. Clear coat about 1 Gallon sprayable was $240 canadian. And i opted for a mid-range quality (pretty much what every bodyshop uses), I could have gone even cheaper but i do notice the quality suffers especially in clears.
Really?? Maybe i'm doing it wrong. I got Omni 2 part epoxy, Smart clear coat and PPG paint. Just a half pint of the PPG is like $65 before tax!

Old 04-14-2020, 10:05 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Last time I sprayed I used Acme brand clear. Its not top of the line, but its also not something like Kirker.

Looking at my last receipt
Primer/sealer is about $45 a qt (that includes the price of the activator)
Base is around $80 a qt (mixed ready to spray)
Clear is around $38 a qt (including the price of the hardner)

Thinking back on it I think my $1000 estimate includes where I already sprayed the bay, jambs, etc

Here is a few shots of what mine looked like when I did it

Don't mind the dent in the rear quarter. That will be covered with overbody widebody quarter panels. Mind you I took that pic less than 6 weeks after I acquired the car. I stripped the car to the bones right there in my yard and painted the stuff I did right there. I'm actually about 98% sure that for now I am going to get a gallon of cheap Summit Racing Battleship grey paint just to get it one color for now (The car is currently black, white, red, and the blue.) I don't want to go spend $700 on paint if I am going to be out of a job for awhile, but spending $100 to do it won't be so bad. I also figure getting a solid color on it will help see any other areas that might need fixed. I'd rather waste cheap paint on that, than better paint.
You painted your car outside?? How did it turn out- lots of birds eyes from dust?
Old 04-14-2020, 10:48 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

No. It actually came out great. I was expecting dirt and dust and a few bad areas I picked a warm non windy day. I only did the bay and jambs outside. When I do the rest of the car I will be in a garage.

Hell when I was a kid my dad would paint cars in our apartment complex parking lot in Las Vegas. LOL
Old 04-14-2020, 10:49 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
Really?? Maybe i'm doing it wrong. I got Omni 2 part epoxy, Smart clear coat and PPG paint. Just a half pint of the PPG is like $65 before tax!
It depends on the color you are shooting too. Some colors cost way more than others.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:12 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

No. It actually came out great. I was expecting dirt and dust and a few bad areas I picked a warm non windy day. I only did the bay and jambs outside. When I do the rest of the car I will be in a garage.

Hell when I was a kid my dad would paint cars in our apartment complex parking lot in Las Vegas. LOL
That makes more sense. I thought you painted the entire car outside. Good luck with your project. That seems pretty involved.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:44 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Thanks. Its been super involved.
I disassembled the entire transmission, installed a Quaiffe LSD as well as all new bearings, reshimmed it, and put it back together.
I completely regasketed the engine, installed new oil pump, timing components,water pump, etc.
I drilled out spot welds to remove the headlight buckets and rad support and welded in 2nd gen buckets
I cleaned and sprayed bedliner on the entire undercarriage.
(For the time being) I installed a SOHC engine which required some rewiring of the alternator, oil pressure gauge etc.
I repaired my broken fiberglass hood for it.

The list goes on for what I have already done. I'm in the midst of finishing the body and as soon as I get back to work steady the twin turbo project will kick into full gear.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:58 PM
Peepz
Registered Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Laid on the bluebat valence overlay and put on my "JDM" emblems. As well as JDM tails. Loving the rear now.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:31 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thanks. Its been super involved.
I disassembled the entire transmission, installed a Quaiffe LSD as well as all new bearings, reshimmed it, and put it back together.
I completely regasketed the engine, installed new oil pump, timing components,water pump, etc.
I drilled out spot welds to remove the headlight buckets and rad support and welded in 2nd gen buckets
I cleaned and sprayed bedliner on the entire undercarriage.
(For the time being) I installed a SOHC engine which required some rewiring of the alternator, oil pressure gauge etc.
I repaired my broken fiberglass hood for it.

The list goes on for what I have already done. I'm in the midst of finishing the body and as soon as I get back to work steady the twin turbo project will kick into full gear.
Wow. I thought you said it was a project. Dude, you are building your own car now. Impressive!

Originally Posted by Peepz
Laid on the bluebat valence overlay and put on my "JDM" emblems. As well as JDM tails. Loving the rear now.

Wow, that looks super clean. I like it. Is your Nissan badge the JDM Skyline badge painted flat black except for the Nissan letters? Did you paint the "370" black too? What badge do you have on your front grille and are you planning to add the Skyline badge to your trunk?
Old 04-18-2020, 12:31 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Wow. I thought you said it was a project. Dude, you are building your own car now. Impressive!
Thanks. I have definitely had my work cut out for me. As far as the "restoration" part goes I am almost "done."

For the twin turbo swap I haven't even really begun. I have the engine on the stand. I have the turbos bolted to it temporarily, but tear down hasn't even started, let alone purchasing stuff. I actually hurt my own feelings a little tonight because I decided to start putting my list together of things I need to buy and I am up to $7000 so far. Granted I am going a little "overkill" on some things. I am doing a standalone ECU. I have factory turbo manifolds and adapter plates to mount the TD05 turbos to the TD04 manifolds already, however instead of dealing with the restriction of the adapters I am getting some aftermarket (oem like) stainless manifolds and having the TD04 flanges cut off and TD05 flanges welded on.

Most of the rest of the prices include things like a total rebuild kit (all gaskets, oil pump, water pump, timing components, rings, bearings, etc) Then I have supporting mods for the twins, like AEM TruBoost, AEM Wideband, Aeromotive FPR Kit, injectors, FMIC, etc. I've also already included costs in there like the tune on the ECU and welding for the manifolds.

I'm only really shooting for 450 to the wheels, but being that it is only going to be going to the front wheels it is going to be a handful. Should be fun though.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:14 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I'm only really shooting for 450 to the wheels, but being that it is only going to be going to the front wheels it is going to be a handful. Should be fun though.
You might have "just a touch" of torque steer.

Quick Reply: Quarantine Projects