G37 Sedan

Quarantine Projects

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 09:58 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Oh hey, that long trim looks great in gloss black! Your aftermarket shift ****, too, right? I like what you did there. Why not do the same with your center dash, instead of what looks like a matte black wrap?

Jealous of the work you did cleaning up the front of your engine. Well done.

But the steering wheel and shift boot just look wrong to me. Maybe I don't get this whole Alcantara fad the same way I don't get why people like CF so much. Instead of upscale, it trends in the other direction.
The following users liked this post:
TheDevilsG (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 10:12 AM
Ottomurph
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I initially did the center trim in gloss black but after installing it I didn't like the contrast between it and the dash/surrounding plastic. So I wrapped it matte black until I can have it painted matte black. I just think it flows better that way.
I kept the trim that surrounds the Navigation controls in satin black, and did the control ring in gloss black as well as the small silver trim piece above the nav screen in gloss black. I also installed the wet application screen protector on the nav screen, which I HIGHLY recommend. It gives the nav screen so much gloss and depth to the colors. The backup camera graphics look amazing now. It can be purchased on amazon. Just search "G37 screen protector".
As far as the Alcantara, I'm in love so far. It is so grippy and feels great. But as far as the carbon fiber trend I'm with you. In fact, wrapping something in carbon fiber vinyl should be punishable by death imo. lol

TheDevilsG (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 10:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ottomurph
I initially did the center trim in gloss black but after installing it I didn't like the contrast between it and the dash/surrounding plastic. So I wrapped it matte black until I can have it painted matte black. I just think it flows better that way.
I kept the trim that surrounds the Navigation controls in satin black, and did the control ring in gloss black as well as the small silver trim piece above the nav screen in gloss black. I also installed the wet application screen protector on the nav screen, which I HIGHLY recommend. It gives the nav screen so much gloss and depth to the colors. The backup camera graphics look amazing now. It can be purchased on amazon. Just search "G37 screen protector".
As far as the Alcantara, I'm in love so far. It is so grippy and feels great. But as far as the carbon fiber trend I'm with you. In fact, wrapping something in carbon fiber vinyl should be punishable by death imo. lol

That is an awesome picture! LOL, I love it.

And these close-up pictures give a lot more support to your choices. I like the detail you gave to the Nav wheel.

Also, yours is the very first comment I've seen about a "screen protector" for the G's Nav screen. It actually changes the depth, contrast and color? Seriously? Are you talking about this link here? What do you mean by "wet application"?

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Rochester; 04-08-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:21 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Oh hey, that long trim looks great in gloss black! Your aftermarket shift ****, too, right? I like what you did there. Why not do the same with your center dash, instead of what looks like a matte black wrap?

Jealous of the work you did cleaning up the front of your engine. Well done.

But the steering wheel and shift boot just look wrong to me. Maybe I don't get this whole Alcantara fad the same way I don't get why people like CF so much. Instead of upscale, it trends in the other direction.
In my opinion Alcantara makes the interior look upscale and more 'sportier'. Think Porsche GT3 or something along those lines.

CF also adds a nice tough however it needs to be real quality CF and not what I've seen people over do with some aftermarket solutions.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:46 AM
Ottomurph
Registered Member

Oh it absolutely does. The gloss and depth is crazy. Again, it's a wet application so you have to take the screen completely out, spray it with soap and water solution, slide the protector into place and squeegee out the water then let it dry for a couple hours. I'll attach some photos that hopefully portray what I'm talking about. It's better in person though. The last two photos are of my screen with the protector on it, and another G37 on our lot with the stock screen. Here is the link to what I purchased
https://www.amazon.com/Red-Hound-Auto-Compatible-Fingerprinting/dp/B079P5465Z/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=G37+SCREEN+PROTECTOR&qid=1586355220&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMVpQV0c3UTFaQUUyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODE5NjU1UjBFSVA3M0YyVFFWJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4NTk5MDUxOUVRWjFSN0hGUTJXJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== https://www.amazon.com/Red-Hound-Auto-Compatible-Fingerprinting/dp/B079P5465Z/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=G37+SCREEN+PROTECTOR&qid=1586355220&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMVpQV0c3UTFaQUUyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODE5NjU1UjBFSVA3M0YyVFFWJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4NTk5MDUxOUVRWjFSN0hGUTJXJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

TheDevilsG (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 10:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Oh it absolutely does. The gloss and depth is crazy. Again, it's a wet application so you have to take the screen completely out, spray it with soap and water solution, slide the protector into place and squeegee out the water then let it dry for a couple hours.
Links and more pics... excellent. Thanks.

"take the screen completely out"... Yikes! That's not going to happen with me and my 10 thumbs. Nope.

Are those the instructions, that you remove the nav screen for installation?
Old 04-08-2020, 11:06 AM
Ottomurph
Registered Member

You don't HAVE to do it, but it makes it much easier, because again it is a wet application. If you douse your nav screen in soap water solution while it is in the vehicle, water could run down underneath and behind the trim, which no one wants. It's much better, cleaner, and easier to get the protector centered on the screen, and the water squeegeed out of the sides while its on your kitchen table opposed to being in the dash. It's surprisingly easy to remove it as well . I may do a write up with pics if people are interested, because it is 100% worth it. Not to mention it brings up the class of the vehicle by making it look like an infotainment unit out of newer car with capacitive touch screens like our smart phones, instead of a 2005 infotainment unit. lol
The following 2 users liked this post by Ottomurph:
nelledge (04-11-2020), Rochester (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 11:43 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
You don't HAVE to do it, but it makes it much easier, because again it is a wet application. If you douse your nav screen in soap water solution while it is in the vehicle, water could run down underneath and behind the trim, which no one wants. It's much better, cleaner, and easier to get the protector centered on the screen, and the water squeegeed out of the sides while its on your kitchen table opposed to being in the dash. It's surprisingly easy to remove it as well . I may do a write up with pics if people are interested, because it is 100% worth it. Not to mention it brings up the class of the vehicle by making it look like an infotainment unit out of newer car with capacitive touch screens like our smart phones, instead of a 2005 infotainment unit. lol
That looks absolutely stunning. It definitely modernizes the screen. Your interior is absolutely gorgeous. I'm in for a write if you have the quarantine time!
Old 04-08-2020, 12:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

By all means, the forum would benefit from a write-up on this thing. Please do, and let me know where it is.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:33 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Oh it absolutely does. The gloss and depth is crazy. Again, it's a wet application so you have to take the screen completely out, spray it with soap and water solution, slide the protector into place and squeegee out the water then let it dry for a couple hours. I'll attach some photos that hopefully portray what I'm talking about. It's better in person though. The last two photos are of my screen with the protector on it, and another G37 on our lot with the stock screen. Here is the link to what I purchased https://www.amazon.com/Red-Hound-Aut...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

1: I LOVE THE GLOSS BLACK ON THE TRIM! You did a quality job there. Kudos! (Trim is something i need to do but keep putting off, I'd definitely be interested in seeing a write up). I'm sure if you change it to a satin black it will still look good but personally i think that gloss black looks fantastic.

2: That screen looks amazing now, fantastic idea you had there. It doesn't look like cheap plastic now, its like crystal when its lit up! Very nice!
Old 04-08-2020, 01:42 PM
Ottomurph
Registered Member

Thank you!. Looks like I'll have to do the write up!
The things that are gloss black in the photos are staying gloss black. What I was saying is that the center console trim (the AC control panel trim, trim around the shifter, etc.) used to be gloss black along with the dash and door trim, but I wrapped it matte black until I can just have it painted matte black. I didn't like it being gloss after I installed it. I didn't think it looked right. It was too much gloss
Old 04-08-2020, 01:51 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Thank you!. Looks like I'll have to do the write up!
The things that are gloss black in the photos are staying gloss black. What I was saying is that the center console trim (the AC control panel trim, trim around the shifter, etc.) used to be gloss black along with the dash and door trim, but I wrapped it matte black until I can just have it painted matte black. I didn't like it being gloss after I installed it. I didn't think it looked right. It was too much gloss
Ah that makes a lot of sense, Good move for sure. I especially like the contrast between the painted silver trim here and the flat black around it. The flat black around the screen area really draws attention to it. Love it lol

Those little little details just do wonders lol
Old 04-08-2020, 04:06 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
I do like that a lot as well. I have a spare center screen bezel thing so I may try that.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:56 AM
zanderr56
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a full custom single exit made on my 2009 g37. Has ISR Y pipe from a 350z, vibrant turbo muffler and vibrant resonator. Sounds amazing!
Old 04-09-2020, 05:54 PM
OldG2NewG
Registered Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Decided to toss my 20s on for a test fit and I'm happy I stuck with the color. Now the question is what color BBK?

Quick Reply: Quarantine Projects