G37 Sedan

Quarantine Projects

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 11:23 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I am finally going to make the switch over to all Nissan Skyline emblems throughout the car. I have the kick plates done and I am working on redoing the floor mats as well as sourcing the steering wheel center and badges next.

Like Rochester, also lots of cleaning. I did the back seat this morning and you forget how dusty the tops of the rear seats get.

I want to swap out the winter wheels soon as it warms up here, but they really need new tires so I may wait a bit. Then again, I am not racking up too many miles going to the grocery store every 2 weeks.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:21 PM
Peepz
Registered Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I just got my airbag cover a few months ago from JDM parts ninja. They have one in stock right now.

Airbag Cover

Also where did you get your kick plates from? That's all I need to finish my Nissan badging
Old 04-05-2020, 03:41 PM
OldG2NewG
Registered Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
It's a leather/vinyl paint. By SEM products.
We are gonna need a bit more info about this because that looks amazing
Old 04-05-2020, 08:58 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 482 Likes on 404 Posts
Originally Posted by OldG2NewG
We are gonna need a bit more info about this because that looks amazing
SEM and VT make a spray vinyl dye that bonds really well to vinyl and most interior plastics. I wouldn't use it on a high wear surface like a seat, but side panels and armrests yes.

When I was doing car stereo installs last century we used it to touch up areas we had to cut or file on the dashboards. I've used it to color PVC seatbacks in another car (replaced seat back with a cover from a salvaged car, and the color wasn't quite a match).
The following users liked this post:
PNW_IPL (04-06-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 08:58 PM
OldG2NewG
Registered Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Nice! So mask prep and spray?
PNW_IPL (04-06-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 10:20 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Today I took the door panel off the 3000 to try to adjust the window triangle so that the window itself can go up higher. While in there I started diagnosis on why the courtesy light on the door won't light. After back tracing I ended up taking the fender off so I can get to the body harness where it plugs into the door.

I ran out of light before I got any further but hopefully I'll get it sorted tomorrow, even if I have to run a new wire, then things back together.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:34 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
I repainted my bumper and lip AGAIN. Lesson learned, don't use the wrong primer.

PNW_IPL (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 08:13 AM
astockg
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up a set of Rays 19" G35 coupe wheels off eBay with maybe 75% tread summer rubber mounted. Great replacement for my winter setup. They are wider in the back but have an equal diameter. There is a little bit of rash and staining but nothing too terrible. I will probably have them refinished next winter and add TPMS while I'm at it. Question is, to paint or to powder coat? Suggestions welcome, I do not drive much and it never sees a track.

Also cleaned my throttle bodies for probably the first time ever as I purchased at 70k from the original owner and I'm now at ~95k. Wow. what a difference.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:49 AM
ctng37
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gill408

just installed the brace yesterday. What a difference it made. I highly recommend getting the bells raceworks differential brace. It is an easy install 15min.
Where did you get that from? From my research, that looks like the newer design diff brace as compared to the current one listed on Z1 Motorsports. I can't find anything about it except and image on the 370z forum.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by ctng37
Where did you get that from? From my research, that looks like the newer design diff brace as compared to the current one listed on Z1 Motorsports.
That's Bell's 4-point brace for the OEM diff cover. It's not a new design, it was his original design.

https://bellraceworks.bigcartel.com/...ck-diff-covers

I can't find anything about it except and image on the 370z forum.
Come on, Man. Search titles for "bell raceworks":

https://www.myg37.com/forums/drivetr...ial-brace.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/group-b...ial-brace.html

Last edited by Rochester; 04-06-2020 at 10:58 AM.
jpowersjr2 (04-08-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 10:58 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by OldG2NewG
Nice! So mask prep and spray?
I removed the cards completely to get a better look.
theres a special sem soap and prep. Theres also tack cloths. The painting is similar to spray paint. This stuff really binds well. However I wouldnt use it on seats. Some do but I cant see how it could possibly last forever.

The following 2 users liked this post by PNW_IPL:
astockg (04-06-2020), llebcire (04-16-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 11:10 AM
ctng37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's Bell's 4-point brace for the OEM diff cover. It's not a new design, it was his original design.

https://bellraceworks.bigcartel.com/...ck-diff-covers

Come on, Man. Search titles for "bell raceworks":

https://www.myg37.com/forums/drivetr...ial-brace.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/group-b...ial-brace.html
Ahh. That was the current design I was talking about. I was reading on the Z forum about fitment issues with that design so I thought the "old" one was the newer design.

This is the forum post I was referring to. Post #149 and #164 on the next page

Bell Raceworks Diff Brace Install - Page 10 - Nissan 370Z Forum

Guess I got confused between the one for the stock cover vs the aftermarket cover. Couldn't find it on Z1 Motorsports at least. Is there an advantage for having one over the other? Other than being able to switch to the finned cover in the future.

Last edited by ctng37; 04-06-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Is there an advantage for having one over the other? Other than being able to switch to the finned cover in the future.
That's really only something an engineer could answer. The 3-point brace uses a single large bolt to the subframe, whereas the 4-point brace uses two smaller bolts.

My guess is that it doesn't matter, and both are equally fine. (Or equally problematic.)

You could always reach out to Bell and ask. He seems pretty nice and responsive. His pricing is certainly fair, IMO.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:37 PM
ctng37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's really only something an engineer could answer. The 3-point brace uses a single large bolt to the subframe, whereas the 4-point brace uses two smaller bolts.

My guess is that it doesn't matter, and both are equally fine. (Or equally problematic.)

You could always reach out to Bell and ask. He seems pretty nice and responsive. His pricing is certainly fair, IMO.
This is definitely not my strong suit but as an aspiring Aerospace Engineer, the 4-point would, in theory, be more rigid? At least at first glance. I've recently started studying this topic so I am not qualified to answer this. Either way, the subframe should be able to withstand those loads so the weak point is probably the brace itself. As long as the brace holds up, they should, like you said, achieve the same goal with very subtle differences. I will definitely ask whenever I do decide on getting one of these.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:06 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Peepz
I just got my airbag cover a few months ago from JDM parts ninja. They have one in stock right now.

Airbag Cover

Also where did you get your kick plates from? That's all I need to finish my Nissan badging
That's funny, that is where I was going to get my airbag cover. Is there a trick to removing the oem cover or is it just a matter of disconnecting the battery so the airbag does not fire and pull until it comes loose?

Here is where I got my kick plates: https://www.nissanraceshop.com/produ...s-g35-g37-4dr/ It looks like the design changed as mine has individual cut letters that light up instead of one big plate.

Quick Reply: Quarantine Projects