G37 Sedan

Quarantine Projects

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 08:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by deep0542
Test fit of the Blacktop Aero Spats and AutoKitsX CF Diffuser...
That's going to look real good. It's not a common mod, going back to the 07-09 bumper, but I like what you're doing here. The spats make the diffuser work. Either by themselves would look awkward. And of course seeing those beautiful Sebring tips is icing on the cake.

No backup sensors, huh?
Old 03-28-2020, 09:01 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 482 Likes on 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Banshee
DOOOODE. Where did you get these?!?!!
Seconded.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:10 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Received 160 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
Seconded.
Originally Posted by Banshee
DOOOODE. Where did you get these?!?!!

Haha thanks guys! It's a custom little project I am working on. I'm harvesting the insides of a JDM Power folding mirror and putting them inside a USDM mirror enclosure. This lets me use the EZ Splitters carbon mirror caps, and then the 2010+ JDM Winkers on top of them.

The winkers are rather rare and hard to source for a reasonable price (typically something crazy like $300+ shipping). I saw a pair show up on eBay new back in November and immediately purchased them. Of course when they arrived it didn't include the OEM harnesses, but I can't complain for what I scored them for.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:15 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's going to look real good. It's not a common mod, going back to the 07-09 bumper, but I like what you're doing here. The spats make the diffuser work. Either by themselves would look awkward. And of course seeing those beautiful Sebring tips is icing on the cake.

No backup sensors, huh?
Yeah, I don't think I've really seen anyone go back to the 07-09 bumper (and especially not one in KAD); but I've never really loved the rears on 2010+ and there's really not many diffuser options. The spats are what really put the whole thing in motion, they're quite stupidly rare (again cannot believe how little aero options the g35/37 sedan has compared to a q50); and when a set showed up on Facebook I had to ****** them. And agreed with your assessment, it was an all or nothing kind of deal with the diffuser and spats.

I originally intended to drill holes for the backup sensors, but I will be swapping to the Workshop12 Tablet solution when it arrives. Unfortunately it doesn't support backup sensors (not really like I use them currently, its a little buggy with the Tesla screen). Thus, I opted for the clean look.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

It looks much better without the sensors, it's just... they're useful is all. Like scoring the perfect little apartment, but no dishwasher.

One of the very first things that bugged me about getting my car was my dislike of the 2010+ rear bumper.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:25 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

It looks much better without the sensors, it's just... they're useful is all. Like scoring the perfect little apartment, but no dishwasher.

One of the very first things that bugged me about getting my car was my dislike of the 2010+ rear bumper.
Totally agree, I never like to sacrifice functionality (especially on a DD) but this is amazing guess a form over function compromise.

But agreed, the blacked it out Valence helps the 2010 a lot, but it’s still just a downgrade compared to the older style. Complete opposite up front though.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:27 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
Originally Posted by deep0542
...I'm harvesting the insides of a JDM Power folding mirror and putting them inside a USDM mirror enclosure...
I'd offer you a copy of the instructions but I don't have a Xerox machine- plus they're in Japanese... but, installing the winkers is pretty straightforward. The OEM "harness" really complicates the install so you'll likely be better off without it. The sedan may be different but on the Coupe I had to trim a bit of the main housing to create clearance for the winker screws. The instructions do not mention it but I suggest placing a tiny dab of loctite on the 3 screws that attach the winker to the mirror cover.

You will come to love and appreciate the power folding feature- especially if you frequent drive thru's. One of the best mods I've done to my car to date.

The following users liked this post:
deep0542 (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 08:04 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
I'd offer you a copy of the instructions but I don't have a Xerox machine- plus they're in Japanese... but, installing the winkers is pretty straightforward. The OEM "harness" really complicates the install so you'll likely be better off without it. The sedan may be different but on the Coupe I had to trim a bit of the main housing to create clearance for the winker screws. The instructions do not mention it but I suggest placing a tiny dab of loctite on the 3 screws that attach the winker to the mirror cover.

You will come to love and appreciate the power folding feature- especially if you frequent drive thru's. One of the best mods I've done to my car to date.
Appreciate the post, as I've probably scoured the forum to see all of your posts on this topic- given you're one of the few that run power folds + JDM Winkers. Based on the BCM guide it looks similar to the coupe/convertible instructions for the power fold, I just have to add the two wires (Fold in, Fold out) back into the USDM harness.

From a winker perspective, I was thinking about just following how the Korean knock-off LEDs wire into the footwell, or just wire it directly into the headlights via the fender. Appreciate the heads up on the winker screws, they are pretty snug as the winker "stems" are going through the CF cap and the OEM cap- but extra loctite is never a bad idea! Very excited to get this project put together, just have to finish my rear bumper swap first!
Old 03-29-2020, 08:29 PM
OldG2NewG
Registered Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Decided to clean the lenses up after the retrofit. Not to shabby after some sandpaper and polishing
Old 03-29-2020, 10:53 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Decided to work on the mustache, as Rochester calls it.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:01 AM
g37socal
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Planning to open ceiling to stack my G’s

I got a 4 post lift in my garage. Now I am planning on opening up my ceiling to stack my G’s.

91 G20 Sr20ve swapped (first car since 1997)
12 sedan w 4.08 gears and tuned

stay safe!

Old 03-31-2020, 12:25 AM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
Decided to work on the mustache, as Rochester calls it.
Is this the aftermarket unpainted lip?
Old 03-31-2020, 08:36 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Yeah. Still not painted (been too lazy to scuff sand it). More pics https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...unicorn-4.html
Old 04-01-2020, 02:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

After cleaning, claybarring, sealing and waxing the car (phew!), I discovered it was time to get a new pair of license plate frames. I've been using these Cruiser Perimeter frames forever, and really like them. However they don't last. You can get maybe 3 years out of them before they rust (in Western NY).

So I bought a new pair, after mistakenly buying the "Slim" frames... only the second time I did that , LOL

Looking at my custom plates, I realized that there's a 1/8" strip of bare aluminum on each end. So today I taped them off and sprayed them with black primer.

Stupid detail, I know. But I'm really bored, cleaning a car that I can't drive anywhere anyway, because of the virus.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:12 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
After cleaning, claybarring, sealing and waxing the car (phew!), I discovered it was time to get a new pair of license plate frames. I've been using these Cruiser Perimeter frames forever, and really like them. However they don't last. You can get maybe 3 years out of them before they rust (in Western NY).

So I bought a new pair, after mistakenly buying the "Slim" frames... only the second time I did that , LOL

Looking at my custom plates, I realized that there's a 1/8" strip of bare aluminum on each end. So today I taped them off and sprayed them with black primer.

Stupid detail, I know. But I'm really bored, cleaning a car that I can't drive anywhere anyway, because of the virus.
I use the same plate frames but in chrome and noticed they also get rusty so last year I ordered a new pair and sprayed them down with clear coat before I put them on. I should take a look and see how it's holding up.

Quick Reply: Quarantine Projects