G37 Sedan

Quarantine Projects

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 01:49 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
Just checked - the local yard got a 2010 G37 sedan a week ago. I'll try to get out there soon and see how bad it is.
Don't forget the 07-08 G35s share many parts with the G37s, since they are on the same platform, the V36.
Most yards out my way seem to have many late model G35s.
The following users liked this post:
TheDevilsG (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 02:08 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Well a 2$ aluminum dowel with a screw in end and viola she works and has a metal peg instead of the plastic end that was busted lol. 😁👍

Drill a hole, twist this in with some finesse.

Insert " put it in the hole jokes here"

No lock

Lock!

You can call me a cheap ***, its okay. But hey i found something to do on this boring day 🙄
rotarymike (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 03:22 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

[/QUOTE]
I'll admit that I'm running out of steam working on my car (actually: all the things). I'm hoping a week off next month helps.

Right now the LKQ here in Charleston doesn't have any G37s.

Just checked - the local yard got a 2010 G37 sedan a week ago. I'll try to get out there soon and see how bad it is.[/QUOTE]

Whoa you actually checked for scrap cars for me? Dude you are awesome! Its good and fixed now but man respect! You are good people for real. 🍺
Old 06-17-2020, 03:31 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 482 Likes on 404 Posts
Thank you, but I'm no saint LOL. I need to go look at that car for AV gear for a bench setup (other thread on here) and other stuff. Might pull the engine if I can get it on the father's day 40% off deal they usually have. To pick up another small part? No worries.

Enlightened self-interest, you might say.

The bigger question I have is why the LKQ app didn't alert me that they had one. I usually get text alerts for a range of cars (Z cars, G35, G37, M37) when the hit the yard.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:40 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

[\QUOTE] The bigger question I have is why the LKQ app didn't alert me that they had one. I usually get text alerts for a range of cars (Z cars, G35, G37, M37) when the hit the yard.[/QUOTE]

So they can pick all the meat off the bone first and sell for high before calling people in to fight over the scraps probably. Bastards! lol
Old 06-17-2020, 04:52 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

There are folks that go to the yard every day and remove any easily removed part (headlights, body panels) to put on ebay. The yard doesn't employ them, but doesn't stop them either. I've almost gotten into a fight over a VQ intake manifold because the guy was saying it was worth more to him than to me (I got there first, but he thought he was entitled to first pick 'because he was there every day'... that isn't how that works.)

Before the Covid nightmare I was considering buying a better-condition junked car from them to strip at home of all the spares I might need, then have them re-buy the chassis for the metal value. But then my wife reminded me that we were storage limited and I wasn't racing this car so... no parts car(s) lol.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:56 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Well it was a good idea, but then...Wife blocked! lol
Old 06-17-2020, 09:56 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
I got all my nitnoid hand hand sanding done today. I then set up to get the headlight buckets painted. As I mentioned previously I changed the buckets because the car is a 91 that had flip up headlights and I was installing a 99 bumper which takes the 2nd gen style headlights. I already had the engine bay and upper rails/strut towers painted so the new buckets were mismatched. In hindsight I should have painted them before they were installed then touched up whatever areas needed it from welding.

Anyway, I covered the engine bay, pulled the radiator and fuse box back and got myself set up.

Quarantine Projects-pohev6m.jpg

Quarantine Projects-ci2orrh.jpg

I'm happy with it. It's been awhile since I shot any paint and it was when I painted the bay, jams, etc. When I shoot the car it will be my first overall paint job ever. And on that I decided I am going to shoot on Friday now. I am going to spend the day tomorrow doing some wet sanding, then clean the garage and get my stuff arranged for spray. Its going to be interesting since I have so many parts off the car. I'm going to have a table full of parts, and I have 4 sets of saw horses, and I'll have stuff hanging from the rafters.

I can't wait til it is in color so I can get it back together and get all my stuff out of the garage so my aunt can have her parking space back. LOL
TheDevilsG (06-17-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 02:27 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Originally Posted by TheDevilsG
Well it was a good idea, but then...Wife blocked! lol
To give that some context, when she met me I was part of a race co-op shop that had a parts car field next door. I personally had 5 FC3S RX7s and 8 FB3S/SA22C RX7s (parts cars) as well as the race car in my stall, the 12A 6-port custom 1st gen, and the turbo-swapped convertible (and a shed full of parts). Soooooo... she has a *good* point.

I'm now, 16 years later, rotary-less. Except for the shiny engine that is in a crate hidden deep in the garage, for when we can't buy gasoline anymore and I need something that will run on grain alcohol and still give me 300HP.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:47 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
To give that some context, when she met me I was part of a race co-op shop that had a parts car field next door. I personally had 5 FC3S RX7s and 8 FB3S/SA22C RX7s (parts cars) as well as the race car in my stall, the 12A 6-port custom 1st gen, and the turbo-swapped convertible (and a shed full of parts). Soooooo... she has a *good* point.

I'm now, 16 years later, rotary-less. Except for the shiny engine that is in a crate hidden deep in the garage, for when we can't buy gasoline anymore and I need something that will run on grain alcohol and still give me 300HP.
Damn. I have always loved rx7s, so you were basically living the dream I've always wanted and she...she...made you become more practical and make logical choices. Scary! 😂

For the love of god do not ever let her get rid of that crate in the garage... for in that crate lies the last piece of your soul that she couldn't take!
Old 06-19-2020, 03:10 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I look at it more as... I'm no longer burning every spare cent on cars. Back then I was in college, using the GI bill to live on and getting paid to work on race cars. Nice? Until it was tuna for dinner again, or the crackheads across the street tried to break in to my apartment. It was fun, for sure, but had its drawbacks. Those days, sometimes I had to walk to Autozone from the shop because that was the only option. I'll get back into SCCA or NASA racing when my daughter is a little older.

She knows what is in the crates. She knows who gets it if I die. Honestly, I should have taken more time between jobs this time (I took 1 day), taken a week and finished it. E-shaft threads boogered up so I got a new eshaft, but had to tear the whole motor down again. Discovered a casting flaw in the rear iron, so got a new rear iron - but now I have to port it to match the front, and that takes a few careful days.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:18 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

I'm just teasing man, you had a lot of fun and now you are just doing things in moderation, Nothing wrong with that lol 🍺

i am jealous of your past though
rotarymike (06-21-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 05:01 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

So this is more of a quarantine-garage project than a G37 project, but will roll over in efficiency gains for the G.

The obelisk in the back is to take over from my poor, tired 40" craftsman, and all the ancillary boxes and bins and shelves that hold tools.

Only problem is that I'm not sure if stickers will adhere to the matte black.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:44 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Originally Posted by TheDevilsG
Just checked - the local yard got a 2010 G37 sedan a week ago. I'll try to get out there soon and see how bad it is.
Whoa you actually checked for scrap cars for me? Dude you are awesome! Its good and fixed now but man respect! You are good people for real. 🍺
The 2010 was already pretty picked over, but if you decide you need the actuator I'll just need to go with a battery to trigger it (it's latched). The gas door was in decent shape.

Scored front seat leather skins in perfect condition, near perfect tail lights, a spare steering wheel to wrap, sunvisor, and interior cloth to cover my a-pillar-with-gauge-pod. Not a bad day.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:54 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
I've still been messing with mine. Had an issue when spraying last Friday that caused me not to be able to finish. I spent the day Saturday cleaning things up and reinstalling everything on the car. I figured I got good enough coverage on everything with color that it won't be a big deal to finish it all assembled. I've got several hours into wetsanding over the last few days. Goal is to finish up tomorrow and put down two more coats of paint on Friday then 3 coats of clear.

Quick Reply: Quarantine Projects