G37 Sedan

Quarantine Projects

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 08:38 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
My car has been covered in swirls since i bought her. Deep nasty ones spread throughout the car on every panel, so i have been researching for a while and finally bit the bullet this week and went at it.

Used Griots Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher ( + a 3 inch backing plate and pads for tight areas and aggressive spot repair when needed. Meguires 105 compound, then 205 finishing glaze, then Griots Garage Paint sealant, then a carnuba wax ( because why not double protection.

It was a pretty time consuming and extensive process but for my first time doing this, i did a lot of research and had a little patience...no a lot of patience actually lol

Very happy with the results, gave myself a pat on the back lol

Old 06-06-2020, 09:02 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDevilsG
Maybe your Bmw is just a rebel lol
It just might be... It is not a fast car, but it is a FUN car going strong with just over 248,000 miles
Old 06-08-2020, 09:56 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Due to a few different things as well as being in my own head on my bodywork I took a little break from the car. Got through some things and got a little kick of confidence so I got back into it today. Did a lot of block sanding and shaping to get things right on the transition of overfender to sheet metal then laid some high build primer down to help me see other imperfections. I only worked the drivers side today because it has been my trouble one, but put primer on the passenger side too as well as repair areas on the hood.

Going to lay some guide coat and do some more blocking tomorrow to hopefully get the last of the actual body work done before I just need to finish all the sanding.

Pics aren't the best. The sun was setting and it was perfectly in the wrong spot for a good photo for where I was parked

Quarantine Projects-38shsdl.jpg

Quarantine Projects-ifuu0u7.jpg

Quarantine Projects-defcdmt.jpg
Old 06-16-2020, 08:57 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

I guess everyone either gave up on their quarantine projects or went back to work. :lol:

Mine is in 1000 pieces

Quarantine Projects-3xs4zfa.jpg

Quarantine Projects-b8jm0ie.jpg

Plan is to lay primer today on most of hte body and certain pieces, then sand, and hopefully lay paint tomorrow, then reassemble on Thursday.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:41 AM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by stealthee
I guess everyone either gave up on their quarantine projects or went back to work. :lol:

Mine is in 1000 pieces

Plan is to lay primer today on most of hte body and certain pieces, then sand, and hopefully lay paint tomorrow, then reassemble on Thursday.

Nah not all of us lol.

Mitsubishi 3000 Gt? Nice work man, can't wait to see it finished! Those are very cool cars.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:45 AM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

The bolts i grabbed from dealer to replace the rusted ones ( from when i bought the car) were already deteriorating so i ordered a dress up kit and i'm cleaning this **** up Lol
Old 06-16-2020, 10:43 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 482 Likes on 404 Posts
My work has shifted from working at home to working at work and then working from home for a few more hours. But since my wife is giving me grief about driving her car, I'm progressing to having the front bumper back on. Made some progress last night re: foglights.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
The bolts i grabbed from dealer to replace the rusted ones ( from when i bought the car) were already deteriorating so i ordered a dress up kit and i'm cleaning this **** up Lol
Good for you. Nothing dresses up an engine bay like replacing rusty nuts & bolts with SS or Ti.
The following users liked this post:
TheDevilsG (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 09:53 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Nah not all of us lol.

Mitsubishi 3000 Gt? Nice work man, can't wait to see it finished! Those are very cool cars.
Yessir. I changed my plans slightly. Realized I was pushing myself on getting paint laid by tomorrow so I slowed my pace and just laid the build primer and started sanding it back off today. Got a lot of it sanded. I'm actually shocked at my body work looking good. Tomorrow I'll finsih all the high build primed stuff and then hit the rest of the stuff with 320 too that was only hit with 180 so far. Depending on time frame I may wet sand , but as it is the 320 has everything nice and smooth.

I can't get my paint til tomorrow anyway because the paint shop was short on a toner needed for my mix so I even if I didn't already decide to wait til Thursday to spray then that decision would have been made for me.

I'll post up pics when it is painted and back together.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:36 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

I wish i had body work and paint skills lol Still though, Don't rush. A little more time you spend to be ocd about it now equals perfect results later. If i told you how much time i spent polishing my car, you'd laugh at me 😂
Old 06-17-2020, 12:11 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

I probably wouldn't. I once spent 18 hours detailing my Grand Prix. I washed it, clayed it, washed it, prewax cleaned it, washed it, waxed it, washed it, and waxed it again, then spent a few hours on the interior.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:40 AM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Well i heard how our cars have a locking mechanism for the fuel door and wondered why mine doesn't do it so.... i opened fuel door, turned the black plastic ring i see on left side counter clockwise, heard something fall into the rear quarter, took out side trunk liner and what do you know....a part! Lol

It seems the pin that comes out is sheared off...

Tested motor with leads and a D battery. Seems to work but can't get this thing open without breaking it to mcguiver a new pin, I've tried and it seems glued and fragile but w/e.
Off to the dealer to see what ordering one would cost.... its a feature i'd like to have.

Update: $260 American /365 canadian
yea no thanks lol

And here's the problem. Going to see if a can rig something up

Last edited by TheDevilsG; 06-17-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:32 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Why not find a used one? Ebay or local pull-a-part. I'm willing to bet that several models use more or less the same part, too.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:43 AM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Ill try that if this doesn't work. I'm on a mission now and its keeping me entertained while still on quarantine time lol. its either gaming or this, ill play this for now 😂
Old 06-17-2020, 12:36 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I get you. I used to play board games at a local shop every week for my gaming itch - haven't seen any of those peeps since March.

I'll admit that I'm running out of steam working on my car (actually: all the things). I'm hoping a week off next month helps.

Right now the LKQ here in Charleston doesn't have any G37s.

Just checked - the local yard got a 2010 G37 sedan a week ago. I'll try to get out there soon and see how bad it is.

Quick Reply: Quarantine Projects