G37 Sedan

Quarantine Projects

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 12:20 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Seats are turning into a total nightmare of confusion. I have two driver seats from 2008 sports (confirmed via date code on the seats) and the heated seats are TOTALLY different between the two. On the tan ones, the heater is glued to the cushion and has THREE wires. On the black one, the heater is sewn into the leather (not attached to the cushion). I really can't figure it out. Both seem to be otherwise the same. I guess I have to plug them in to the car and see if it works. its the same on the 2011 passenger seat.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:36 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
Seats are turning into a total nightmare of confusion. I have two driver seats from 2008 sports (confirmed via date code on the seats) and the heated seats are TOTALLY different between the two. On the tan ones, the heater is glued to the cushion and has THREE wires. On the black one, the heater is sewn into the leather (not attached to the cushion). I really can't figure it out. Both seem to be otherwise the same. I guess I have to plug them in to the car and see if it works. its the same on the 2011 passenger seat.
They could have made changes in production due to a different vendor or just some improvement. I remember reading an article a while ago where Toyota bought some Hyundai vehicles to see how they were put together because they were quite a bit cheaper and apparently eating into Toyota's market share. Initially they could not figure out why very few of the parts were the same between cars of the same year. What they discovered is that Hyundai made running production changes throughout the year to improve their products.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:37 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 482 Likes on 404 Posts
So what Hyundai's innovation has been is a super-robust parts database.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:02 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Yeah it's really weird. With the date codes they are only a few months apart.

Anyways, here is what a seat looks like underneath if anyone was wondering lol. Just need to repair the foam now and put the black cover back on. Notice you can see the heater modules are on the foam on this one. Also, only the driver seats get that extra green foam apparently.

This passenger seat is in near perfect shape as well. I ordered all the stripper, dye and sealant to try dying it black. I have the black plastics off the other black passenger seat so I can just swap those over.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:26 PM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts
Tried wrapping my fog light trim while the bumper was getting painted. Could not get it to a quality I was ok putting on and when I gave up it was too late for paint so they are stock for right now. Dropped them off at the painter today and got a sneak peak. Car goes in for PPF tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:21 AM
kapag37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ottomurph
Started by having the silver trim painted gloss black (ignore the bags and packages). Then I wrapped my steering wheel in full alcantara and installed my alcantara shift boot. Then I cleaned, stripped, and painted the timing covers on the front of the engine to get rid of that nasty looking aluminum oxidation that these engines get. Then I replaced all the bolts on the timing covers and engine with fresh new stainless 10mm bolts, and painted my plastic engine cover. Also added some white LEDs to my start button and added a red LED behind it so that it glows at night. Also did a rear diff fluid change.

How hard was cleaning/removing covers on the front and what did you use to clean them? Definitely makes them look cleaner.

Last edited by kapag37; 05-13-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:02 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
My quarantine project is still my 3000GT. Today was nerve wracking, but satisfying.

It is getting a "wide body" the front fenders were "bolt on" other than having to drill the holes and a few holes where the side skirts snap in needing to be made and ovaled.

The rear quarters are overlays and cover the entire rear quarter panel. The rear is what was tackled today.

Quarantine Projects-qgpepz4.jpg

Quarantine Projects-13xi5ad.jpg

Quarantine Projects-su6krqn.jpg

Quarantine Projects-do2yas9.jpg

Quarantine Projects-om85ypx.jpg

Quarantine Projects-my3gxpb.jpg

Quarantine Projects-1gxnsbd.jpg

Its hard to see it in the pictures, but the added width is there. Its already a very wide car and the addition of the front and rear wide body just accentuate what is already there. I'll pull the screws out tomorrow and start feathering and molding the rear quarters and work the filler door opening. This is the most difficult part I have left to prep the car for paint. I'll post more pics once the quarters are molded and the car is closer to being ready for paint.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:12 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Wow! I can spin wrenches, but body work is a foreign art to me and that my friend, is definitely a project. I am in for the finished product.
The following users liked this post:
rotarymike (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 10:50 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
How about "performance" oil change with home made purger LOL
Old 05-13-2020, 12:05 PM
Lee Nguyen
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
For those of us staying at home while the world burns, what projects are you taking on with the car?

I've been going over the car one panel at a time... wash, clay, seal and top-coat with product I've recently been infatuated with: https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-car...oss-sauce.html

How about you?
Replace all the pulleys and the tensioners, spark plugs, fluids, clean the throttle bodies, then detailing the whole car.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:12 PM
Ottomurph
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Where did you get your pulleys? I want to do the same thing but want to use OEM like pulleys without paying for new pulleys from the dealership. Is there a specific kit you got somewhere??
Old 05-13-2020, 12:31 PM
Lee Nguyen
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ottomurph
Where did you get your pulleys? I want to do the same thing but want to use OEM like pulleys without paying for new pulleys from the dealership. Is there a specific kit you got somewhere??
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M5AYC5C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M5AYC5C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JCS3EO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JCS3EO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J00MVO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J00MVO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1
don't get the Continental Smooth Pulley. It's shorter and thicker than the OEM, I didn't use it, and I just re-used the OEM one.

There are many kits, but I heard Gates aren't well made, and most of the time you will get the Chinese fake parts. I don't want to risk, so I bought these part separately, and it actually cost less than the kit.

Last edited by Lee Nguyen; 05-13-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:12 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Speaking of Amazon, if greasing zerk fittings was on your to do list, then you can skip this piece of junk. This is a One Sight Locking grease gun coupler. It was one of the highest rated versions on amazon, but it is garbage. It popped off every zerk fitting I attached it to and the handle design makes it nearly impossible to get a wrench on it to tighten it to the line.
Lee Nguyen (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 10:36 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

That looks like the same POS i have lol
4DRZ (05-16-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 10:46 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Wow! I can spin wrenches, but body work is a foreign art to me and that my friend, is definitely a project. I am in for the finished product.
I'll preface this in that I should mention that I too am not a body man. I'm a wrench and sort of an electrical guy when it comes to cars. For the body work I'm honestly just kind of winging it. I mean, I have been around body work for years, but I was never the one slinging bondo. My dad did paint and body on the side for years. Always painting someones car in our garage for extra money. I'd help, but it was always just sanding what needed sanded.

It's not quite finished but

Feathered the edges

Quarantine Projects-j58qybx.jpg

Sanded the whole quarter

Quarantine Projects-xlnztxg.jpg

First layer of fiberglass filler

Quarantine Projects-kereyte.jpg

Sanded
Quarantine Projects-recwfa0.jpg

Second (smoother) layer

Quarantine Projects-vwe07ge.jpg

Sand again

Quarantine Projects-yafcxpq.jpg

Quarantine Projects-cxv0vfu.jpg

Quarantine Projects-nekqh4v.jpg

Regular bondo

Quarantine Projects-tnkvmul.jpg

After hitting it with 80 and 180

Quarantine Projects-ctaccle.jpg

Quarantine Projects-1gv3lzo.jpg

I'm going to go ahead and remove the rear bumper cover tomorrow to make for easier finishing of the bondo where it meets the body. From there I will start the same process on the passenger side to blend it in. I was hoping to have the car ready for paint by this weekend, but I just don't think that is going to happen. Hoping to get it done some time next week now.

Quick Reply: Quarantine Projects