G37 Sedan

Sedan owners with Top Speed Pro 1 Y-back

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 01:26 PM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Sedan owners with Top Speed Pro 1 Y-back

The TS mid-pipe has a metal plaque engraved TopSpeed and I believe the orientation can have an impact on the fitment, such as rubbing on the rear sub frame that some owners have mentioned.

When I had my exhaust installed at the shop, we intuitively installed it with the plaque facing down, based on fitment and that the plaque would be hidden if facing up... I haven't had any issues with the rear sub frame rubbing, but I have to admit that my exhaust tips are pretty close (5mm) to the bumper. I spoke with a TS rep about this, but they weren't exactly sure. They believe the plaque should be facing up towards the car.

My question is for those that have this exhaust. Which orientation do you have your mid-pipe installed? And did you experience any issues with the rear sub frame or exhaust tips being extremely close to the bumper cutouts? I have a feeling installing the mid-pipe with the plaque facing up may result in the rear sub frame rubbing, as it angles the exhaust up towards the body of the car. I've found many posts where both orientations are used, so it's definitely not one way or the other.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:48 PM
latino914
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Wow are they still messing up on batches of this. I had to flip mine so it wouldn't hit the rear subframe.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:27 AM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

Originally Posted by latino914
I had to flip mine so it wouldn't hit the rear subframe.
When it was hitting the rear subframe, what orientation was the mid pipe? Does yours have the TopSpeed plaque? If so, which way was it facing when you had the subframe issue?

It's possible that the plaque was attached on the opposite side of the mid pipe for different manufacturing batches, so a better descriptor of the mid pipe orientation would be which angle does the mid pipe branch bend? Up or down?

The attached photos show the TS mid pipe plaque facing down and the pipe angled upwards towards the undercarriage of the car. On my mid pipe, it is the opposite. The pipe angles downwards when the plaque is facing down. I don't have issues with the rear subframe, but this did force the tips a lot closer to the bumper. When I get a chance I'm going to swap it and see if the tips fit better.

Old 02-09-2020, 05:52 PM
steveng37
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Could you post a clearance of yours of the brace down by the mufflers? That's where mine had a fitment issue. Curious to see how yours fits under the brace/bracket. I didnt have any issues with the midpipe, had it installed yesterday, although I'm not sure what way the plaque was facing
Old 02-09-2020, 06:06 PM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

Originally Posted by steveng37
Could you post a clearance of yours of the brace down by the mufflers? That's where mine had a fitment issue. Curious to see how yours fits under the brace/bracket. I didnt have any issues with the midpipe, had it installed yesterday, although I'm not sure what way the plaque was facing
I'll try and get a photo tomorrow. You want to see the clearance of the sub frame? I no longer have my center bracket installed, because the mid pipe angles into it.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:05 PM
latino914
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I had to remove my center bracket since it would hit the midpipe. But it was better since it then wouldnt hit the rear subframe.