G37 Sedan

Wrecked G37 Auction Thoughts? - Also New G37 Megan Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 03:32 AM
ChefMatt
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Wrecked G37 Auction Thoughts? - Also New G37 Megan Sway Bar

Insurance totaled my g37 a few weeks ago, so I went out and bought another a few days later....posted in another thread. I have been tracking my car at an auction website, I saw it listed about a week after the accident. The car has come minor front end damage - needs a fender, and the front crash bar has a small dent. Repair bill was 7500 so they totaled it - Mainly labor and paint. I drove the car for 3 weeks post-accident, and over the 2 years of ownership did ALOT in upgrades -Hotchkiss F/R, Navtool and USASpec Audio, K/N filters, New tires (<3 months at time of accident), tint, trans flush @75k...I took very good care of her. I wanted to buy it back, but I need a broker due to location of auction. I was planning on bidding up to around 2k, and if I won (plus the broker fee) I would pay around 2500-2700 for my old, easily repairable g. It would have a salvage title, but I know the previous owner ....at worst I could part out or sell to at a great deal. I really wanted the filters, sways, and wheels for my new. Audio stuff I don't really care about as my new g has Nav. I couldn't wait for the auction to end so I did this to my new g - sorry for the blurry install pic. FRsport sells Megan rears for about 150 shipped. Installation took less than 30 minutes as it was my second time...also it's super easy in any case. I decided to go for rear sway only- last time on Hotchkiss install the OEM front sway was almost identically beefy, so I'll drive it and see if I feel like a front is needed...

Anyway, thoughts on buying back old salvage g???

Old 12-21-2019, 08:41 AM
CubanDre
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I bought my 37 wrecked. Fixed her up to like new, took me five months. She had 155k on the clock too. So depending on mileage and what she looks like under the hood. Your 2k may be a bit low. I've seen wrecked 37s go for 4k. I got mine for 2250. But sounds like you have already moved on and the Nav is really nice. If you got her back you would have a massive project and an extra car.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:42 PM
Rooster Tail
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Go for it, mine is a salvage title car. Saw the damage pic online. 2 doors. That's it. It sold at auction for $3100 2009, sedan 6mt
Old 12-29-2019, 11:27 AM
ChefMatt
Registered Member

Check it out - sell date is 12-31...I need a ****ing third-party bidder, not for private sale. Bummer...they charge a bit to much for the service..this car has some nice hidden upgrades.

see previous posts
Old 12-29-2019, 12:13 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Part outs are so not worth it. I don't see the sense in 3000 just to get a few mods back. I wouldn't do it unless you have the skillset (and time) to repair it all yourself.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:18 PM
ChefMatt
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CubanDre
I bought my 37 wrecked. Fixed her up to like new, took me five months. She had 155k on the clock too. So depending on mileage and what she looks like under the hood. Your 2k may be a bit low. I've seen wrecked 37s go for 4k. I got mine for 2250. But sounds like you have already moved on and the Nav is really nice. If you got her back you would have a massive project and an extra car.
Originally Posted by Rooster Tail
Go for it, mine is a salvage title car. Saw the damage pic online. 2 doors. That's it. It sold at auction for $3100 2009, sedan 6mt
Originally Posted by ChefMatt
Check it out - sell date is 12-31...I need a ****ing third-party bidder, not for private sale. Bummer...they charge a bit to much for the service..this car has some nice hidden upgrades.

see previous posts
Agreed, but the damage is actually very minor. Bumper, right fender. Both headlights fine. If it could be had for <3k, the repairs are really only assembly, and of course paint if it was not finished fender. But for total all in for <4k including repairs it's a great car.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:29 PM
ChefMatt
Registered Member

Also, Megan rear sway bar is the bomb in my new g. HUGE difference in handling I noticed immediately. I had forgotten what the change is. Rear does not slip and feel loose as it did with oem. I take the same on-ramp corners and exits at 4-5am, getting in the 25 mph corners at 50-52mph it feels solid.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:55 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Would you do the paint yourself? It doesn't sound to me like you realize how expensive paint and body work is. If you're not doing it the paint work could cost you $1500 alone. Just a quick base estimate would be around $6000 into the car and that is if you can get it for $3000. And then it still has an R title.

The decision is ultimately yours, but you need to think long and hard.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:34 PM
ChefMatt
Registered Member

Originally Posted by stealthee
Would you do the paint yourself? It doesn't sound to me like you realize how expensive paint and body work is. If you're not doing it the paint work could cost you $1500 alone. Just a quick base estimate would be around $6000 into the car and that is if you can get it for $3000. And then it still has an R title.

The decision is ultimately yours, but you need to think long and hard.
Yeah the salvage title is a big drawback as well. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:45 PM
CubanDre
Registered Member

Agreed, but the damage is actually very minor. Bumper, right fender. Both headlights fine. If it could be had for <3k, the repairs are really only assembly, and of course paint if it was not finished fender. But for total all in for <4k including repairs it's a great car.
So for my comments having repaired my own front end which was much worse than this one. At a first glance this looks to be better than what I purchased for 2k. But I have a few questions. Have you seen the car? How do you know the bumper, right fender and headlights are fine? Since the front end isnt there I can only assume that the bumper brackets that help fasten the bumper are broken, if they are you could make that bumper work assuming its a perfect bumper outside of those tabs the bumper wont line up perfect. One of mine was broken from the original bumper I bought one for 70 bucks from the dealer I believe. Next was the headlights, its easy to overlook but the tabs can easily be broken and hard to notice if you aren't looking. and fender well, on both of my fenders there is a crumple zone near the windshield on the fender that has this inverted dimple. Not a big deal for me. I did the repairs myself and spent 1267, 150 of which I found a paintshop in an industrial area that has paint shops all over the place. It was just painting the front bumper and blending in the hood and fenders. I could have spent quite a bit on a paint gun and associated materials to do it myself. I probably would have spent another 1k or more on quality stuff. I dont know how many cars I will be painting in the future, and my name isnt Samcrac/Tavarish/insert your favorite youtube repairman.

So for under 4k I had a car with 155k on the clock and a salvage title which I rebuilt myself. I'd like to think she came out on top. However she also was a pain in the *** to work with for 5 months. Between work, my consulting gig, coaching soccer and my first born kid. It was tough to fit more than a couple of hours on a weekend to get her up and running. I probably spent more time on google and youtube because I had no idea what I was doing. I do have a couple more things to get. An alignment tomorrow and eventually new rotors. I may look for a shop to get them machined, Aftermarket OE replacement Sport rotors aint cheap. I dont want to go for drilled/slotted rotors (spend a track day with those vs blanks and you will quickly find out why). Otherwise, since she was quite cheap I'll spend a bit more on mods.

Having said all that....if its cost savings you are looking for, I'd wait a bit and find a sport. Worth it hands down just for the premium upgrades, bose, nav, seats, paddles etc
Old 12-30-2019, 06:33 AM
ChefMatt
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CubanDre
So for my comments having repaired my own front end which was much worse than this one. At a first glance this looks to be better than what I purchased for 2k. But I have a few questions. Have you seen the car? How do you know the bumper, right fender and headlights are fine? Since the front end isnt there I can only assume that the bumper brackets that help fasten the bumper are broken, if they are you could make that bumper work assuming its a perfect bumper outside of those tabs the bumper wont line up perfect. One of mine was broken from the original bumper I bought one for 70 bucks from the dealer I believe. Next was the headlights, its easy to overlook but the tabs can easily be broken and hard to notice if you aren't looking. and fender well, on both of my fenders there is a crumple zone near the windshield on the fender that has this inverted dimple. Not a big deal for me. I did the repairs myself and spent 1267, 150 of which I found a paintshop in an industrial area that has paint shops all over the place. It was just painting the front bumper and blending in the hood and fenders. I could have spent quite a bit on a paint gun and associated materials to do it myself. I probably would have spent another 1k or more on quality stuff. I dont know how many cars I will be painting in the future, and my name isnt Samcrac/Tavarish/insert your favorite youtube repairman.

So for under 4k I had a car with 155k on the clock and a salvage title which I rebuilt myself. I'd like to think she came out on top. However she also was a pain in the *** to work with for 5 months. Between work, my consulting gig, coaching soccer and my first born kid. It was tough to fit more than a couple of hours on a weekend to get her up and running. I probably spent more time on google and youtube because I had no idea what I was doing. I do have a couple more things to get. An alignment tomorrow and eventually new rotors. I may look for a shop to get them machined, Aftermarket OE replacement Sport rotors aint cheap. I dont want to go for drilled/slotted rotors (spend a track day with those vs blanks and you will quickly find out why). Otherwise, since she was quite cheap I'll spend a bit more on mods.

Having said all that....if its cost savings you are looking for, I'd wait a bit and find a sport. Worth it hands down just for the premium upgrades, bose, nav, seats, paddles etc
I was the previous owner of that car - I bought it with 65k, drove it to 107k and then rear - ended another car at <5 mph. All the parts are there, front clip, creased right fender, headlights, etc. It's really just an assembly process with a new fender and bumper.....
Old 12-30-2019, 10:39 AM
CubanDre
Registered Member

I was the previous owner of that car - I bought it with 65k, drove it to 107k and then rear - ended another car at <5 mph. All the parts are there, front clip, creased right fender, headlights, etc. It's really just an assembly process with a new fender and bumper.....
Ah ok. Go for it, its easy enough to do that and then find someone to paint.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:27 PM
dofsxs
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just totaled mine as well and was thinking the same thing because it is CLEANNNNN inside and out, however, mine was a high speed accident so engine is f'ed. Dont think it would be worth it for me. If yours is cosmetic it doesnt seem that bad. Just find another bumper at a scrap yard.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:50 PM
Gus_Mahn
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
This is my wife's G37Xs that I bought salvage 3 years old for $6600 with 31,000 miles. Was worth low/middle 20's clean then.

And when done. I had about $11,000 in it. Including parts, paint, auction fees, broker fees, 4 new tires, shipping 800 miles, and sales tax.

I love salvage cars. I try to buy them for 1/3 of clean value and finish them for 1/2 or less of clean value. I keep them for about ten years, so at that point even with a clean title, they aren't worth much. Rebuilt cars worth more than $5,000 can be hard to sell, since banks typically won't loan on them. I've done about ten cars for my family, and it's always worked out great for me.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:38 PM
CubanDre
Registered Member

^^ Wow that was quite the job. That quarter panel is no joke. But with 31k you cant go wrong You definitely came out on top, good 200k miles and then look for the next one. I prefer to do the same as well, the best bang for the buck when you hang onto them.