G37 Sedan

Sedan Model Differences - Journey, AWD, 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 08:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Sedan Model Differences - Journey, AWD, 6MT

Forum member @ngolbuff suggested we sticky a thread discussing the differences between the 3 different models of the G37 Sedan (Journey, AWD, 6MT.) If anyone wants to add to this or ask questions, feel free to contribute. And if someone wants to go into detail about the LE or the AE, or the G25 or the Q40... go right ahead.

Over on InfinitiHelp, there are spec sheets for each model year, something I've always bookmarked because it's really helpful. Here's a link to one for the 2013 Sedan:

http://www.infinitihelp.com/models/2...ifications.php

The original question was about the differences between the Sport Package and the non-Sport. So here's my basic run-down. Appearance items in the Sport Package include:
  • Wheels
  • Front bumper
  • Seats
  • Side sills
  • Headlights
  • Flappy paddles (automatic only)

All those things come with the Sport Package, regardless RWD or AWD. However, the Sport Package on the RWD Sedan (and the 6MT) include the following:
  • Big brakes
  • Sport-tuned shocks
  • Close ratio steering
  • VLSD rear differential
  • Staggered wheels
Pretty much every Sedan with the Sport Package also came with the Premium Package and Navigation, but that's wasn't a rule per se. However, starting in 2011 it actually was the case for the 6MT.

Trim pieces like the front chin, the rear deck spoiler and the Midnight grille, those were always options on all models, although I believe stuff like that came part of the specialty package for the Anniversary Edition and the Limited Edition.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-26-2019 at 10:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Juttaro (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 10:21 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts
I found it funny how many trims these cars seem to have, unfortunately there is almost no way of knowing differences in higher trims because VINs dont provide the info.
Ex: I have a 2010 G37S anniversary
Monaco interior
Latest Navi
4WAS
Akebonos
AN wheels (Squared)
Bumper/lip/skirts/spoiler
Paddle shifters
Sport-tuned shocks
Close ratio steering

Apparently 350 of these were made, per the vin it states Sports/Premium package but it can be confusing as some sites separate sports, premium, etc. Some of these come with intelligent cruise.

Does anyone know if G25,Q40 or 2013 + models came with additional stuff than what we're used to?
Old 11-26-2019, 10:33 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by BULL
Does anyone know if G25,Q40 or 2013 + models came with additional stuff than what we're used to?
There was no Sport Package available on the G25 or the Q40, although you could get both with AWD.

Anniversary Edition with 4WAS... that's rare.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:42 AM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by Rochester
There was no Sport Package available on the G25 or the Q40, although you could get both with AWD.

Anniversary Edition with 4WAS... that's rare.
Tell me about it, had to replace the front rack. Finding it was fun.
I found that RWD racks are the same, without tie rods they share the same number, so essentially you could switch to sport tie rods and get that "shorter" steering.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:46 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Rochester, educate me please. Is the steering difference major between the journey and sport? Reason I ask is because you mentioned close ratio steering. When I test drove both the sport and the journey many years ago I barely noticed the feeling between both steerings. Turning radius was practically the same. Does it feel more dart-like at higher speeds compared to the journey?
Old 03-27-2020, 06:48 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Joyryde
Rochester, educate me please. Is the steering difference major between the journey and sport? Reason I ask is because you mentioned close ratio steering. When I test drove both the sport and the journey many years ago I barely noticed the feeling between both steerings. Turning radius was practically the same. Does it feel more dart-like at higher speeds compared to the journey?
The Journey Sport, 6MT and IPL models had a 14.7:1 steering ratio. The AWD and Journey non-Sport had a 16.4:1 steering ratio. The few times where I was driving a non-Sport G, the difference was very apparent. You have to rotate the steering wheel more than otherwise.

I'm sure if you drove the two one after another, you'd notice it right away.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:56 AM
BULL
Moderador

The shorter ratio comes from different lengths in the tie rods. The racks are the same.
To deal with this quicker ratio Nissan Had the sport model use a power steering pump from a truck.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by BULL
The shorter ratio comes from different lengths in the tie rods. The racks are the same.
To deal with this quicker ratio Nissan Had the sport model use a power steering pump from a truck.
Seriously? I seem to remember you discovering that somewhere, maybe in your build thread. Well done, BULL.

Did you confirm two different part numbers on the OEM tie-rod ends and steering pump?

So does that mean someone with a non-Sport Journey or AWD could swap in Sport Package tie-rod ends and steering pump, and magically tighten up their steering ratio?
Old 03-27-2020, 10:51 AM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Genuinely never felt the difference probably because I didn’t hop in to one or the other right away. Sport felt stiffer for me, but that was it. Wow Bull, I never knew they used a different power steering pump. I just checked and you are correct. Sports used part number 49110-JK01A while non-sports use 49110-JK20A. I’m just confused about the headlights. I thought they were all the same, except for Japan and other European countries getting the kouki style headlights where the side indicators are grey instead of orange.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:00 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Headlights are definitely different, but the only way you would know is if you parked next to a non-Sport Package Sedan. And even then, you'd ping-pong back and forth a few times before seeing it.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:20 PM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by Rochester
Seriously? I seem to remember you discovering that somewhere, maybe in your build thread. Well done, BULL.

Did you confirm two different part numbers on the OEM tie-rod ends and steering pump?

So does that mean someone with a non-Sport Journey or AWD could swap in Sport Package tie-rod ends and steering pump, and magically tighten up their steering ratio?
Yes and No. The high pressure line from the Journey wont fit the Sport pump because where the banjo bolt is.
So technically these would be the things needed to swap over to sport:
  • Inner tie-rods
  • Possibly outer tier rods (unsure, due to the outers that came of the base rack are the same as my sports however online part numbers seem different. I have not explored that)
  • JK01a pump - (titan, armada or qx56 pump)
  • high pressure PS line

Originally Posted by Joyryde
Genuinely never felt the difference probably because I didn’t hop in to one or the other right away. Sport felt stiffer for me, but that was it. Wow Bull, I never knew they used a different power steering pump. I just checked and you are correct. Sports used part number 49110-JK01A while non-sports use 49110-JK20A. I’m just confused about the headlights. I thought they were all the same, except for Japan and other European countries getting the kouki style headlights where the side indicators are grey instead of orange.
I've driven a Journey around the block and differences are unnoticeable. I've never tried a full lock comparison either.
I have noticed the snappy steering especially after 40mph, minimal effort to switch lanes and barely loss of traction unless I want it to.
I would have to drive a Journey for some days to compare.

It is possible that electronically or steering column area might help with the assist and this would then keep you from going full sport however mechanically only the parts mentioned are the differences.
Even at that ratio my basic V35 auto performs better U turns than my Sport 4was which blows my mind. Highway wise it is completely different.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:02 PM
gord27
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd be really interested in swapping to a sport rack if I could. I've never seen a solid answer from anyone on here. I imagine a Journey would swap no problem if you have the parts but the AWD might be different. If/when I do need to replace any steering component I might put the effort(money) in to figure it out.

Back in 2011, I swapped the 15:1 (or whatever stock 09 STI is) to an 11.5:1 and it was the best mod I ever did to the car. Flick of the wrist for a double lane change barely hand over hand to make a right turn. It still tracked dead straight on the highway with minimal effort. When I saw the newer ones go to 13.5:1 it piqued my interest. If they still made an STI hatch, it would be my next car.