G37 Sedan

G37S sedan / winter driving - hills

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:05 AM
MichaelYYZ
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
On my G37S M6 Sedan, in winter, I use the Nokia Hakkapeliitta R2 tyres (https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-t...kapeliitta-r2/). There’s a new model now, the R3 (https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-t...kapeliitta-r3/). There are other winter tyre models, too: https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/pa.../winter-tires/ (but studded tyres are not permitted in southern Ontario). Nokian makes excellent tyres, superb in winter!

Originally Posted by Jsolo
@Rochester Which winter tires are you using? If michelin xice, are you having similar results as I am in post #3 (225/50/18 all 4 corners)?
Old 08-30-2018, 09:51 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 255 Posts
FWIW I have Continental DWS06 all-seasons on mine, and I had to leave my car overnight in a parking lot because I couldn't get it up a small hill after a light dusting two winters ago. Think quality, dedicate winters are needed to daily drive in any kind of snow.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:37 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by jusseth
Hello guys,

Haven't been on here for a while, nice to see people are still active.

During my "hiatus", we ended up moving from Houston to Jersey and now that we are here, I'm a little bit worried about the G and winter driving.

I know I've seen several threads on this matter and from reading on those, I should be ok as long as I get proper winter tires for the ride. Thing is, it's very hilly around where we are at and I'm worried about sliding somewhere when that snow starts to hit out here.

You guys think I should worry at all or should I blow the trigger on trading her in for something AWD? (don't really want FWD)

it's a '13 G37S sedan, Auto 7sp with 63k (love the thing)

thanks!
I never had a problem driving in snow with either my 06 G35 6 speed or my 2012 G37S 6 speed. I always had good Michelin all season tires and never used snow tires

Name:  yTAwUPV.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  41.2 KB

Telcoman
Old 08-31-2018, 10:36 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Limited slip and winter tires and you are good to go man. I live in NC, had a foot of snow dump here. Snowpocalypse they called it. Anyways...my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ tires did very good going up a banked hill with traction control turned off due to the limited slip...you basically have two rear wheels spinning all the time. Makes a MASSIVE difference in driving in snow IMO. I love it. But as others have said, be gentle on the throttle.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115
I live in NC, had a foot of snow dump here. Snowpocalypse they called it.
All things being relative when thinking about NC and NJ snow, I can't help but LOL. Sorry, but a lifetime of Western NY winters makes for a whole different experience.

Here, you need snows, or AWD with A/S tires. With the G37 being RWD, limited slip certainly helps. In fact, we put snows on my wife's Subaru, which is pretty cool. I find myself going out of my way to see what I can drive through.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:01 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
You guys are playing it off like it no big deal...There is now way you wont have problems with the RWD as a daily driver...Anything more than 2-3" and some hills n you better stay home. Easy to drive after the storm when u see black top
Been driving a 6 speed rwd g for over ten years in the northeast, the only advice I have is to keep your momentum and dont stop haha
Old 09-01-2018, 07:16 AM
Rochester
Administrator

AWD passenger cars is a relatively new thing. People got along just fine before, and can do as well even better now with tody's snow tires... and ABS, and traction control, those certainly help, too, and are also relatively new to the industry.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:26 AM
XxJimboxX
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 11 6MT and have been running snow tires (X-Ice 2) for 3 seasons here in Colorado and love them. As Rochester mentioned, with ABS and traction control, it is amazing how well these technologies keep you going straight. In most winter driving conditions, I stop better than most SUV's / AWD cars and in sudden stop situations, I actually have to look in the rear view mirror to ensure that I don't get rearended by somebody following too close.
The only disadvantage to an AWD would be if you actually had to stop on the side of a steep hill and start up again. However, it still would be better than a FWD with all-seasons.
To the OP, if you love your car (it sounds like you do) I would recommend 1 of 2 options having done both.
  1. Go with square set up on X-ice 2 or Blizzaks on some low end, yet decent 18" wheels (to clear the Akebono's), i didn't even get TPMS and live with the light thru winter season.
  2. Mount snows on the staggered duck-feet wheels and get some 19" or 20" with whatever tires you want on them for the non-winter months. This can get pricey, depending on your taste and preference. As to do this right, you should also get some coilovers for the right stance.
Besides, a lot of fun can be had, just by turning the traction control off in a snow covered, empty parking lot!!!!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 09-04-2018, 11:27 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
or 3. Buy a beater truck with awd on craigslist for 1000 and use it when it snows, keep your g in the garage
Old 09-05-2018, 05:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by AARONHL
or 3. Buy a beater truck with awd on craigslist for 1000 and use it when it snows, keep your g in the garage
I think the Winter Car option only works for a very narrow audience. Not everyone has a garage, or the space for another car. And a $1000 beater will inevitably require maintenance and repairs far exceeding the cost, including a set of good snow tires, added insurance costs, etc. Also, who really wants to spend 4 months driving a POS truck?

Don't get me wrong, it can work. I had a winter car when I was a kid, because I was unwilling to drive my Trans Am in snow and salt. But I also had pretty understanding parents who didn't complain about the rusty '67 Plymouth at the end of the driveway.