G37 Sedan

Just bought a 2013 G37xS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018 | 01:22 AM
Nabeel24

Just bought a 2013 G37xS!

Hey everyone!

I just bought a 2013 G37xS with 60K miles for $15,800. The lease on my 2015 Lexus IS 250 F-Sport is ending in a few days and although I wanted to buy a brand new IS 350, I decided to wait till the re-model which should happen within 2 years. Overall my experience with the 2015 Lexus IS was really great, so I'm looking forward to having the same experience here as well. Figured this would be a good time to try the G37 and see what everyone's talking about!

Few details on the 2013 G37xS I bought, maybe you all can tell me if I got a good deal or not!
- Car was purchased from an Audi dealer which was across the Infiniti lot and they actually advertised the car online as a G37x. Salesperson said a few people from out of state called about it and one actually came down fron NY to VA but credit was declined. He said he was surprised haha.
- I did do the "Pre-purchase Inspection" by the Infiniti dealer. Said everything looked really good. As far as maintenance, he recommended doing: Transmission flush, Transfer case fluid, Front and rear diff service. Hoping these aren't super expensive.
- The inspection did state the front the rear bumpers have been repainted which I knew but not for accidents, just dings.
- Carfax and Autocheck came back totally clean with a lot of maintenance records.
- The front bumper does have a TON of rock chips so I got the dealer to repaint it at the body shop they use.

So with that said, any thoughts on the pricing? Be honest! Any other maintenance I should look out for? I'll be searching through the forums to find the cost of the maintenance listed above.
Thanks! Appreciate the feedback!
Old 02-01-2018 | 02:02 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Welcome to the site, nice power upgrade from the IS 250, although the interior might be a bit of a downgrade
Sounds like a nice deal and the 2013 should give you plenty of reliable miles. If you've done a bit of wrenching the fluid changes aren't hard to DIY, especially the diff & transfer case service. All those items are in our DIY section so take a look and see if they are something you could do.

Nice that you got the dealer to get that bumper cleaned up, Infiniti paint is pretty fragile so rock chips and swirls in the clear coat are way common

Only other service I'd look at is brake fluid, it should be done at 60k miles, especially if it's never been done in 3 years+ & the in cabin filter (this is a simple 15-20 min DIY and cost about $15 for the filter).
Old 02-01-2018 | 12:20 PM
370GTAWD

Sounds like a nice car for the money. You should post some pics! I just got a 2013 37x with 45K certified preowned from my local Infiniti dealer for 19K and I love it! I had an issue with paint swirls on my passenger door that the dealer tried their best to get out but you still see it in certain lighting. Like blnewt said above, Infiniti paint is fragile. My car has 50K on it now and I'm gonna be taking it cross country (7K miles) this June so im planning on changing out the same fluids you were recommended. I'm in the same boat, do I risk any issue and do the diff and transfer case fluids myself or just leave it to the dealer? Anyways good luck with your new G and welcome to the forums!
Old 02-01-2018 | 12:33 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by 370GTAWD
Sounds like a nice car for the money. You should post some pics! I just got a 2013 37x with 45K certified preowned from my local Infiniti dealer for 19K and I love it! I had an issue with paint swirls on my passenger door that the dealer tried their best to get out but you still see it in certain lighting. Like blnewt said above, Infiniti paint is fragile. My car has 50K on it now and I'm gonna be taking it cross country (7K miles) this June so im planning on changing out the same fluids you were recommended. I'm in the same boat, do I risk any issue and do the diff and transfer case fluids myself or just leave it to the dealer? Anyways good luck with your new G and welcome to the forums!
Depends what you feel comfortable doing regarding DIY service. If you have the tools to safely lift your car, that's about the toughest labor involved on those two service items. Be sure you get a socket driven 10mm Allen head though, trying to bust those free w/ a standard L allen wrench isn't much fun
Old 02-01-2018 | 01:23 PM
Nabeel24

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site, nice power upgrade from the IS 250, although the interior might be a bit of a downgrade
Sounds like a nice deal and the 2013 should give you plenty of reliable miles. If you've done a bit of wrenching the fluid changes aren't hard to DIY, especially the diff & transfer case service. All those items are in our DIY section so take a look and see if they are something you could do.

Nice that you got the dealer to get that bumper cleaned up, Infiniti paint is pretty fragile so rock chips and swirls in the clear coat are way common

Only other service I'd look at is brake fluid, it should be done at 60k miles, especially if it's never been done in 3 years+ & the in cabin filter (this is a simple 15-20 min DIY and cost about $15 for the filter).
Thanks! Definitely is a huge power upgrade. I actually took 3 test drives with the G37 and did not find any squeaks. There was a extremely subtle rattle somewhere near the back but with music on that would disappear. Honestly, the last 3 years with the Lexus has been a dream in terms of reliability and absolutely no attention required other than oil changes so I'm hoping for same here.

Unfortunately I haven't done much wrenching in terms of fluid changes so I'll have to find a local mechanic to do that. Unfortunately in the Northern VA area, a lot of the mechanic shops like getting parts from the dealer and charging an arm and a leg for the work. So gotta search for better one's now.

Talking about the paint being soft, I thought Lexus paint was soft but wow the rock chips on the front bumper of this car looked rough. Like deep nicks on the paint if that helps explain. Definitely worth getting that repainted. If I'm keeping the car for 2-3 years, would you recommend getting paint protection on the front bumper since it's being repainted?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 02-01-2018 | 01:29 PM
Nabeel24

Originally Posted by 370GTAWD
Thanks! I am a little worried in the sense that the car has no warranty at all! I believe it has the power train warranty for 11 months or 9K miles but no temporary dealer warranty of any kind. I assume since I got it inspected at Infiniti and everything came back clean that I shouldn't have any issues but you never know.

Have fun with the cross country trip! I've done that trip 3x times now, last one being from LA to DC. Really enjoyable sightseeing different states.
Old 02-01-2018 | 01:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

The 2013s have an improved internal oil gasket that was a problem through 2011 models, that's really the only significant problem that some Gs have had, so you don't have that worry

As far as a clear bra on the bumper, would be a good idea assuming you've got a flawless bumper finish now, if your bumper still has indents from the previous chipping not sure how well a new clear bra would adhere and look in that case.

Here's the DIY for the cabin filter, now that one you can do without any special tools~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-box-bulb.html
Old 02-01-2018 | 03:16 PM
370GTAWD

Originally Posted by Nabeel24
Thanks! Definitely is a huge power upgrade. I actually took 3 test drives with the G37 and did not find any squeaks. There was a extremely subtle rattle somewhere near the back but with music on that would disappear.
I have a similar rattle and it drives me nuts! Dealer said they couldn't locate it even through they took apart the rear shelf. And thanks I love doing road trips its mine and my girlfriend's escape every year.
Old 02-01-2018 | 03:39 PM
Nabeel24

Originally Posted by blnewt
The 2013s have an improved internal oil gasket that was a problem through 2011 models, that's really the only significant problem that some Gs have had, so you don't have that worry

As far as a clear bra on the bumper, would be a good idea assuming you've got a flawless bumper finish now, if your bumper still has indents from the previous chipping not sure how well a new clear bra would adhere and look in that case.

Here's the DIY for the cabin filter, now that one you can do without any special tools~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-box-bulb.html
Awesome! Thanks for that DIY link. Got a couple questions for you if you don't mind.

1) My Lexus had a base sound system which consisted of 293 watts if I'm not wrong. The sound on that system sounded extremely clear and sharp with nice base and what not. This Bose system sounds a bit "muddy" for a system with 380 watts I think. I'm not sure what it is but just doesn't sound as well as the Lexus. Is the Bose known to be a good system? Any settings I should check?

2) The car currently has 60K miles, at 58K miles there was a big maintenance done at the local dealer. I'll list what was listed in the Carfax below. Was this the 60K maintenance?

Maintenance inspection completed
Power steering fluid flushed/changed
Four wheel alignment performed
Tire condition and pressure checked
Electrical system checked
Oil and filter changed
Battery replaced
Front wiper blades/refills replaced
Cabin air filter replaced/cleaned
Power steering system serviced
Air filter replaced
Alignment performed
Brakes checked
A/C and heating system checked
Old 02-01-2018 | 07:59 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

At 60k miles the only thing you may want to address would be brake fluid, the differential & transfer case oil changes.

The Bose system is ok, but not a premium system for sure, I'm sure your disappointment would be typical coming from a premium Lexus sound system.
Old 02-02-2018 | 11:58 AM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

In regard to the Bose system, try to following and hopefully this helps.

Turn off the speed sensitive volume and turn off the driver/center speaker setting (forgot what it is called but it directs the sound toward the driver). After I turned those two settings off, it made a world of difference.

Last edited by mjnoles1; 02-02-2018 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (02-02-2018)