G37 Sedan

tore off my passenger side mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 05:28 PM
heftylefty58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down tore off my passenger side mirror

Like a jackass, as I was walking up the driveway while pulling a garbage bin behind me, I plowed through the passenger side mirror of my 2013 G37 Sedan. Ripped the entire mirror assembly off the car; it was left hanging by the cord. Because I had to head to another event right away, I didn’t have enough time to thoroughly examine the damage before mashing the assembly back onto the car. However, I do recall seeing a few broken/stripped pieces while the 3 bolts remained attached to the car. According to this picture, it looks like I’ll need to replace items #5 and/or #6:
2013 Infiniti G37 Journey Outside Mirrors

Once I get the time, I plan to remove the side mirror, and then disassemble it to figure out the exact parts that need to be replaced.

Before removing the side mirror, I’ll need to get the “corner cover” off as detailed here:
http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/G37/...00000008291137

Before doing that, I’ll need to get part of the “door finisher” out of the way, as detailed here:
http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/G37/...00000008293374

Finally, my questions:
Assuming I eventually get the side mirror off the car, does anyone know where I can find the instructions for safely separating “part 5” and “part 6” from the side mirror assembly? Or is it straightforward?

Also, is it a pain taking off (or loosening) the “door finisher”? Basically, I’m trying to decide if I should just buy both replacement parts now (instead of taking any exploratory measures) This way, I'd only have to mess with the “door finisher” once. With my luck, I’ll damage or break something else while trying to pry off clips.

Lastly, do you have any favorite place(s) to order replacement parts?

Appreciate any/all feedback and opinions.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:15 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Look at discountinfinitiparts.com
The following users liked this post:
heftylefty58 (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 06:47 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
That sucks, I once was the victim, of a tall orange Cone placed too close to the street. Cost me 175 for a new mirror. Those were the old fixed ones. I did have that happen on a narrow street with my Bmw, cost me $20 for a new mirror. The front plastic fell off and I just glued it back on.
heftylefty58 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 05:13 PM
wowwed
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You don't need to remove the door finisher. All you need to do is remove the corner cover and that's it. Once you remove the corner cover that should expose the screws holding the side view mirror. If I remember correctly it should just be straight forward.
1. Remove corner cover
2. Remove the three screws holding the side view mirror
3. Unplug the the side view mirror.
4. Pull out the old broken side view mirror and the cable
5. Insert cable into the hole for the wire and plug it in
6. Screw the three screws back in
I think that should cover it.
heftylefty58 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 08:59 PM
heftylefty58

Well, I gave it (ie, exploratory damage assessment) a shot this afternoon. I attempted to get the corner cover off without loosening the door finisher, but was unsuccessful. There is a piece of the corner cover that extends fairly deep into the door. More importantly, there is speaker wire that attaches to the corner cover, and there is very little slack in the wire. Fortunately, when the time comes to doing the actual repair, getting the door finisher off doesn't seem like it'll be that much trouble. Also, I confirmed I only need the "right mirror base" which will cost me $30 from my local dealership. At this point, my biggest worry is safely taking apart the existing "right mirror base" from the side mirror assembly. I hate using force to pry plastic pieces apart--especially when I'm not 100% sure how the pieces are joined. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:30 PM
heftylefty58

Last edited by heftylefty58; 10-14-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:40 PM
heftylefty58

Sorry for the huge pic.

I'm having a difficult time removing the existing [broken] mirror base from the wiring harness. The white clip is too big fit through the hole in the base.

Is there a way to unclip the white plastic harness from the wires? If not, is my next-best option to snip all 9 wires, then somehow rejoin each of them?

*=$@#&^%!!*%!

Last edited by heftylefty58; 10-14-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:22 PM
heftylefty58

Whew! Mission accomplished. I really lucked out--I was able to get someone to show me how to remove the pins from the connector.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:46 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Can you describe the pin removal process?
Old 04-26-2019, 06:19 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Hopefully, Lefty is still lurking. He hasn't posted since January.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:05 PM
heftylefty58

Originally Posted by m3clubracer
Can you describe the pin removal process?
It's difficult to describe the process in words. The best advice I can give via my keyboard is to make an effort to understand how these pins are locked into place. There is a tiny clip that needs to be gently pried out of the way as you pull out each pin. I don't recall exactly where/how the clips were situated, but these videos should give you a decent understanding of how these pins are shaped and locked locked into place:

I no longer have my G37, but good luck!