G37 Sedan

Thoughts on opening and closing the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 02:15 AM
conroy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thoughts on opening and closing the trunk

What's the best way to open/close the trunk?

To open it you can grab the chrome trim or wedge your fingers under the painted metal bottom edge. Either way leaves finger prints. The bottom lip is prone to rust so I would prefer to handle it as little as possible.

When closing the trunk you could grab the painted surface and pull it down. More hand prints... Long arms can reach up and pull down on the chrome trim. The best method for closing seems to be the nifty plastic hand grab on the inside of the trunk. It does require some careful timing. One has to fling the trunk down with a certain amount of force. There must be enough momentum to carry it down as you quickly duck your hand out of the way. Too little force and it won't latch. Too much force and you're slamming it.

Do you think this fast closing method puts undo stress on the gas struts? Maybe it's good for them?
Old 09-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
You close the trunk by using the recessed grip into the trim on the right side. That's what it's for. But I agree with you about opening the trunk... there really is no optimal technique which doesn't involve you manhandling the painted surface somewhere.

My gripe about the trunk is the same as the hood... when shut, there's still downward play in the fitment. Feels flimsy to me.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-22-2017 at 07:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
r2dmax (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 10:16 AM
JustROLLIN
Registered Member

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
I would also be curious on how people setup the bump stops on the hood itself. The previous owner of my car chipped the paint on both corners of the trunk, due to slamming it. Infiniti takes care of this issue one time, under warranty, but never again after that. I performed the procedure for setting the bump stops on the trunk correctly, but I get nervous after having it repaired once.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:51 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
I generally grab the spoiler to open and close the trunk/boot lid.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Melophile

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If you're that **** about it, you could always just keep a box of gloves with you, or use your shirt as a makeshift glove.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:30 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
the weak trunk pop has always irked me somewhat. most passengers cannot tell it is open until i say it is, and then i pre-empt them trying to grab the trunk lip spoiler by pulling up under the bottom edge. to close i either use the handle inside the trunk or i hold on to the lip carefully. just using the handle itself results in a hard slam which i'm not a fan of.

it would have been nice to have a more pronounced pop-open where the trunk opened several inches or more. this is a minor gripe overall for a car that was otherwise well thought out.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by canucklehead
it would have been nice to have a more pronounced pop-open where the trunk opened several inches or more. this is a minor gripe overall for a car that was otherwise well thought out.
Yep. That bugs me, too.

We should start a list of pointless (but valid) design complaints. Keep the original post organized, and I bet you Brad will sticky it.

Here's my 3 biggest gripes:
  1. No rev-matching down-shift in the 6MT, like the 370Z offers.
  2. The world's most lame cup-holders (in the 6MT)
  3. No heated steering wheel.

Um other than that, awesome car.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:59 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rochester
No rev-matching down-shift in the 6MT, like the 370Z offers.
I consider this a good thing. When driving a standard I often skip gears when down-shifting on the street. Track is a different kettle of gefilte fish.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:00 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
wash your hand more often so your hands are not as greasy soo nasty
Old 09-23-2017, 12:05 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I consider this a good thing. When driving a standard I often skip gears when down-shifting on the street. Track is a different kettle of gefilte fish.
I think you can disable the rev match in the z. But I agree idk why Nissan didnā€™t give us rev matching. Especially on the 2011+
Old 09-23-2017, 07:59 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 255 Posts
4. sidemarker. I think they're horribly designed and make an otherwise well-designed headlamp look weird. What I mean is that little bulls-eye looking thing with the triangular lenses. Just looks amateur. Should've been integrated better or just mounted elsewhere (side fender).
Old 09-23-2017, 08:04 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
I think you can disable the rev match in the z. But I agree idk why Nissan didnā€™t give us rev matching. Especially on the 2011+
You can disable it.

I've driven a couple of Z's with a rev-matching 6MT, and I don't care what all the driving, nanny-hating purists say... I really like it. What kills me, is this is exactly the kind of thing that belongs in the G, much more so than the Z. And if they were going to do it at all, why not both cars?

This has to be my #1 Gripe, although the lack of a few inches lift when opening the trunk... that's definitely on the list too.

Here's another: the way Pearl White paint ages differently based on the panel. After six years (waxed and garage kept and low mileage) my bumpers simply aren't the same color as the rest of the car. Granted, you have to be in the right light to pick up on it, but it's a real thing. My Pearl White 1999 Maxima aged in exactly the same way, so I don't know if it's Pearl White, or if it's a Nissan thing.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:11 AM
Rochester
Administrator

...and here's another HUGE one: there's a hand-sized section on the middle of my driver's seat where the leather is, I guess "disintegrating" is a fair word. It looks like there's a finish on the leather which is completely breaking apart. It looks like leprosy.

And it's not for lack of proper car, or sun exposure, or one-time damage... it's just a materials/manufacturing flaw, and I'm out of warranty.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:04 AM
conroy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Regarding your image; Do you feel that the upper right portion should be lobed out of the light's design?

Originally Posted by STownSaint
4. sidemarker. I think they're horribly designed and make an otherwise well-designed headlamp look weird. What I mean is that little bulls-eye looking thing with the triangular lenses. Just looks amateur. Should've been integrated better or just mounted elsewhere (side fender).
Old 09-24-2017, 01:17 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I opened the trunk today and noticed I pulled up from the bottom lip. Hmm.