G37 Sedan

Thoughts on opening and closing the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 09:05 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by kroy
Is it easy for you guys to rest your arm on the window sill?
Funny you say that because I just realized I was missing out on that and adjusting my seat yesterday...I can get fairly comfortable but seems like it was more comfortable in my 04 g35 sedan
Old 09-27-2017, 04:22 PM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Yep. That bugs me, too.

We should start a list of pointless (but valid) design complaints. Keep the original post organized, and I bet you Brad will sticky it.

Here's my 3 biggest gripes:
  1. No rev-matching down-shift in the 6MT, like the 370Z offers.
  2. The world's most lame cup-holders (in the 6MT)
  3. No heated steering wheel.

Um other than that, awesome car.
those cup holders stink on ice, cant fit two medium sized coffees side by side
Old 10-01-2017, 07:56 AM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
So I guess I am the weirdo that likes it that the trunk just releases and doesn't pop open. Don't have to worry about coming back to my car with a wide open trunk in the mall parking lot after accidentally popping it putting my keys in my pocket. And I have kids, so fingerprints are a fundamental part of life. (Also not sure how it is any different than touching the door handles. Do you wipe your fingerprints off of the key fob?)
Old 10-01-2017, 12:56 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Well when you use the door handles it dosen't leave big handprints, like it does on the trunk. That's why. Also, you have to hold the trunk button for like 5 seconds so its pretty hard to do it accidentally.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:48 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
Well when you use the door handles it dosen't leave big handprints, like it does on the trunk. That's why. Also, you have to hold the trunk button for like 5 seconds so its pretty hard to do it accidentally.
I just went out to the garage and tried it: I can open the trunk with one pinky under the lip...doesn't really touch the visible surface. Its not how I normally do it, but if I wanted to I could open it without leaving fingerprints.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:54 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
How much does yours open? mine opens like a few MM if anything. Pretty sure my struts are dying.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:35 PM
conroy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, those struts seem like water magnets. After every rain fall and car wash the lower edge of the gas pistons get soaked with water. Rust is definitely developing. I dry them off whenever I can. I regularly apply a bit of rust proofing to the bottom edges in an effort to stave off the corrosion. I wish they had designed things to prevent the water from entering the back of the trunk and dripping down the struts.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:04 AM
rsingerG37

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Does anyone have issues with the trunk hitting the rear fenders and chipping the paint? I adjusted the stoppers per the FSM and even replaced the stoppers.
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on opening and closing the trunk-img_0580_zpsymoicuaf.jpg   Thoughts on opening and closing the trunk-img_0581_zpsvvgizkou.jpg   Thoughts on opening and closing the trunk-img_0582_zpsbydyvzt9.jpg  
Old 10-04-2017, 02:21 AM
conroy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Absolutely. My bottom side corners hit the plastic light tops. It looks like there is clearance, but closing the trunk causes the lip to hit. I've sanded off the rust and repainted it. It continues to get hammered down to the metal. I may just try to keep that part of the lip wet with rust proofing. You probably want to close the trunk gently. It's hard to control what your passengers will do.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:21 PM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by rsingerG37
Does anyone have issues with the trunk hitting the rear fenders and chipping the paint? I adjusted the stoppers per the FSM and even replaced the stoppers.
I do! Fully extend bump stops too.
Sadly, and weirdly all my panel measurements are "within spec" per the FSM (DLK-221)
Also, the bumper keeps popping up at the right rear qt panel junction. No rearward accidents in this car (only minor front bumper dmg). Weird...

Did you end up finding a solution? I dont want to repair it only for this to come back and ruin my efforts.

UPDATE: I managed to make the panels align slightly better by adjuating the height of the plastuc covered 9mm bolts that act as hinge stoppers. I still dont like the fitment, but it's not touching on trunk close anymore.
next step... Bumper adjustment.

Last edited by BeeW; 08-21-2018 at 01:45 PM.