G37 Sedan

Thoughts on opening and closing the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 01:19 AM
conroy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Would you prefer something more along these lines?
The following users liked this post:
STownSaint (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 10:52 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 255 Posts
Yea I do think that'd look a lot better. Maybe reshape the headlamp a bit overall, but I think even as shown it's a big improvement.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:19 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by conroy
Would you prefer something more along these lines?
Looks like a brz/frs
Old 09-25-2017, 08:53 AM
10infiniti37s
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
I find it easiest to climb through the trunk opening in the back seat and open it using the emergency boot release. I close it in a similar fashion. Works well when it's raining.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by 10infiniti37s
I find it easiest to climb through the trunk opening in the back seat and open it using the emergency boot release. I close it in a similar fashion. Works well when it's raining.
My rear seats don't fold down.

The only opening is a mostly useless pass-through in the middle. Maybe that's a 6MT thing, (or RWD Sport Package), where the chassis is designed with more rigidity in mind than otherwise.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:09 AM
10infiniti37s
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
My rear seats don't fold down.

The only opening is a mostly useless pass-through in the middle. Maybe that's a 6MT thing, (or RWD Sport Package), where the chassis is designed with more rigidity in mind than otherwise.
Haha I was joking. Yeah they're pretty useless. Only thing is for like long narrow things. It's the same in my dad's '09 X.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

^^^
You had me going there, thinking the non-sport had actual fold-down seats. To be honest, I wish the car had fold-down seating. They could have easily compensated with some kind of rear strut tower bracing.

We have a POS Nissan Sentra in the family, and with the rear seat folded down, there is a cavernous amount of space through the trunk.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:16 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Yeah, there have been plenty of times when i really wished the rears folded. I think they fold in the coupe though.

Also, does anyone know if there are "upgraded" trunk struts? maybe something stronger that will fully open the trunk when you pop it?
Old 09-25-2017, 11:24 AM
conroy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
Looks like a brz/frs
You're right. It does look like a Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS!
Old 09-25-2017, 06:20 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
Yeah, there have been plenty of times when i really wished the rears folded. I think they fold in the coupe though.

Also, does anyone know if there are "upgraded" trunk struts? maybe something stronger that will fully open the trunk when you pop it?
Yes couples have flat folding rear seats. I’m literally in shock the sedans don’t. I could see not having 60/40, but to not have any folding function is beyond ridiculous.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:41 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
...and here's another HUGE one: there's a hand-sized section on the middle of my driver's seat where the leather is, I guess "disintegrating" is a fair word. It looks like there's a finish on the leather which is completely breaking apart. It looks like leprosy.

And it's not for lack of proper car, or sun exposure, or one-time damage... it's just a materials/manufacturing flaw, and I'm out of warranty.
lol I'd say it was perfectly designed if started disintegrating after you're out of warranty /s

Yep. That bugs me, too.

We should start a list of pointless (but valid) design complaints. Keep the original post organized, and I bet you Brad will sticky it.

Here's my 3 biggest gripes:
  1. No rev-matching down-shift in the 6MT, like the 370Z offers.
  2. The world's most lame cup-holders (in the 6MT)
  3. No heated steering wheel.

Um other than that, awesome car.
At least you have a hand brake. That's one of my biggest grips about the autos.

Rev matching would have been cool. I would have gotten my first manual car if that were the case.

One thing you guys forgot to mention is the infotainment center.

1. Touch screen sucks. I can't believe I thought it was an upgrade.
2. Control buttons are literally right next to the screen, forcing the driver to reach.
3. Nothing is interconnected. Your control panel at the wheel for checking oil/tire/mileage/etc is like a separate entity from your center console. I don't get why it's so crap.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:46 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
The touchscreen is pretty pointless. I have literally never used it in 10 years.
And yea its annoying that the systems are not interconnected, but it's not nearly as bad as the crap Honda is doing. I also find it funny that the MPG readings on the cluster screen and infotainment screen are completely different, as well as the range readings.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:27 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by kroy
At least you have a hand brake. That's one of my biggest grips about the autos.
No, not really. On the 6MT, it's just a parking brake. If you use it like an e-brake, you're in for a long wait as your car slowly comes to a gentle stop. It's pathetic.

On the other hand (no pun), our new 2018 Subaru Forester has a genuine, honest-to-god hand-brake, leather wrapped with a boot no less! It's one of the things I love about this car. I'm looking forward to playing with it this winter.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:06 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
Looks like a brz/frs
Heres a M37/56 headlight, basically a G headlight without the ugly sidemarker

/tangent

Old 09-26-2017, 06:39 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I actually have 1 more gripe I didn't think of. How high the window is. And the handle/shelf for your arm is way too low. I can't rest my left arm on the side arm rest and grab my wheel at the same time. It's the little ergonomics.

Is it easy for you guys to rest your arm on the window sill?

Originally Posted by iCrap
The touchscreen is pretty pointless. I have literally never used it in 10 years.
And yea its annoying that the systems are not interconnected, but it's not nearly as bad as the crap Honda is doing. I also find it funny that the MPG readings on the cluster screen and infotainment screen are completely different, as well as the range readings.
I used to think idrive was crap, but thinking back my expectations were too high and I actually miss it. I really the little things like parked car settings.

And soft lane switch signal. That was a nice convenience.

Since we're on little things, I gotta also complain about the auto windshield wipers... Why couldn't it be completely auto detect?

No, not really. On the 6MT, it's just a parking brake. If you use it like an e-brake, you're in for a long wait as your car slowly comes to a gentle stop. It's pathetic.

On the other hand (no pun), our new 2018 Subaru Forester has a genuine, honest-to-god hand-brake, leather wrapped with a boot no less! It's one of the things I love about this car. I'm looking forward to playing with it this winter.
I feel a little bit better about having an auto now lol.