G37 Sedan

Finally hit 30k

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 04:41 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I think you would probably be just fine without the warranty because I know the engine is pretty bulletproof. I got it because this car does have a lot of electronics with the nav, back up cam, bose, moonroof, etc and also because it cost me next to nothing.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
I gave the extended warranty serious consideration a few years ago, when I was at your point, looking at the 4 year B2B coming to an end. Went back and forth, then decided to do without. Much of that decision came down to how little I actually drive the car... which ironically is the point of this thread. But whatever man, there is no wrong answer.

However, I did purchase the 10/100 warranty for my wife's new car last week. And we did that specifically because we're likely to keep it for that long, just like her last car. Plus, it has way-y-y more tech than my G37.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-14-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I know what you mean. New cars have a ton of tech and electronics. It used to be the stereo was the fanciest part of the car and if that ever went bad you could just upgrade to a nicer stereo for a few hundred bucks. Now most cars integrate the stereo into the dash/climate/etc so you cannot replace it with anything aftermarket. Not to mention all the new sensors and electronics involved with all of the new safety features and autonomous driving
Old 09-14-2017, 08:09 AM
ljjhw
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have 148k for 09 37x but it still running good..
Old 09-14-2017, 11:06 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
CSC, Rear differential bushing, or the rear timing gasket leak (or whatever it is) are all pretty common and would go a long way towards offsetting the warranty costs.

If you get the warranty, you'll probably not need it.

If you don't get the warranty, you'll probably need an engine replacement

Some of y'all have really low mileage. I thought I was low at 9000/year.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:23 PM
pri.g
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lego

Has your CSC gone out on you? If so do you remember what the mileage was?
Old 09-14-2017, 03:54 PM
Rochester
Administrator

FWIW, mine gave up the ghost at 18K miles. Remember it like it was yesterday.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:43 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by pri.g
Lego

Has your CSC gone out on you? If so do you remember what the mileage was?
Original owner, original CSC.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

What is the CSC?

And Lego you are 100% right- if I didn't get a warranty the car probably would have blown up, but now it will probably have zero issues.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:43 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Clutch slave cylinder. A seemingly common failure on the forum, but probably a bit of sample bias as well.

FWIW, I've had my clutch bleed x2, at 20 and 40k, both times with motul rbf600.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:56 PM
pri.g
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Definitely had to google "gave up the ghost." My 07 failed at 55k, I hate not knowing when my 12 will give it up....sounds like I need to follow Lego's advice and flush regularly as preventative maintenance.

Like Rochester, it's burned in my memory as well and the shock of learning what a concentric slave cylinder when I was thinking I could fix it myself.

Any one know why Nissan decided to go CSC, my 00 Max (2 cars ago) had the slave hose spring a leak and I was able to change it in a few hours because everything was external. Seems a lot simpler than having to drop the transmission esp if our cars are notorious for these things failing.

I even had a go at with Infiniti consumer affairs about how it should be covered under powertrain and lost that battle.

Btw, here's what a failed CSC looks like!

Old 09-15-2017, 05:55 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Supposedly the RJM clutch pedal further reduces the likelihood of CSC failure. I'm planning to pull the trigger on it in the next couple weeks. Just building up some spousal equity first

From RJM:

batboyvaj, I'm sure it's been covered a few times in the past 18 pages but it's good to bring it back to the top of the conversation again. Bear with me as I try to summarize in semi-point form why the RJM pedal is good for your CSC

My take on all the thousands of CSC failures out there is to do with Nissan's silly high engagement with the factory pedal assembly pushing the CSC piston right to the max extension on every pedal stroke which stresses the seals.

This leads to terrible pedal feel with both the engagement so high and the friction point so high off the floor.

Next all of that wasted travel at the bottom of the stroke before the clutch starts to engage is excess travel, wasted movement of the piston and work that you, the MC and the CSC didn't need to do. All this extra travel scrubs the CSC seals back/forth much further for every shift then they need to and accelerates the seal wear.

Finally I believe the above has been the recipe for disaster for many owners due to the following uncontrollable factor - Sudden Heat Expansion of the clutch fluid during spirited driving. If during a run thru the gears you dump a lot of heat into the clutch which heats the CSC fluid causing rapid expansion of the clutch fluid in the lines... exhaust temps spiking in the cats near the bellhousing and clutch line have a great affect too...

So now you've got hot expanding fluid in the lines that's trying to bleed back into the reservoir, a factory master cylinder that's set to max out the CSC piston right to the end of its stoke, you bang the clutch down for that next shift AND ........ POP! goes the CSC seals.

The temporary condition of having rapidly expanding fluid in the lines that doesn't get bled off fast enough to the reservoir, coupled with the next complete master cylinder stroke is too much for the seals to handle causing the piston to max out in the bore and all that excess fluid pressure needs to go somewhere so it blows out the seals and sprays fluid all into your clutch area.

Kind of like one of those shows on Discovery channel where minute by minute the right combination of factors and unfortunate timing leads to disaster... you may go years without having the magical set of circumstances that lead to instant CSC death or you may only go a few weeks. Without remedy it's bound to happen sooner or later in every cars life. Either from an instant death or a slow death from all that excess stroke over many miles wearing down the seals faster.

Ever wonder why your clutch fluid turns all black and nasty over time? That is excess heat cooking the fluid and CSC piston seal material wearing off and entering suspension in the fluid.

So all that said here is the important take away point: The RJM pedal safely and effectively reduces master cylinder stroke volume and lowers the engagement point taking away that excess CSC stroke that leads to failures.
This reduction of MC & CSC stroke when installing an RJM pedal is why the stress on the factory CSC is greatly reduced to where the CSC is no longer in danger of maxing out and popping the seals with every stroke and there's less overall seal wear for a longer overall service life.

I hope in a round about way my theory why the Nissan, Ford, Chevy, Dodge and every other manufacturer I know of who's gone to CSC's has had issues with popping them. Go drive a new Mustang or Camero, their hydraulic clutches are miles high too and owners in those camps are having huge CSC failure rates as well.

Best Regards,
Ryan@RJM

Nissan 370Z Forum - View Single Post - RJM Clutch Pedal System for 370Z - Fully Customizable Clutch Feel & Stroke
Old 09-15-2017, 08:52 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Good luck w/ the spousal equity, rootin' for you Lego
Old 09-15-2017, 09:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
What is the CSC?
That's surprising coming from you. I would have thought you'd own this issue, have the RJM pedal already, and probably an aftermarket CSC.

I vaguely remember reading some negative comments about the CSC elimination kit from Z1 Motorsports.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...it-p-7340.html

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Supposedly the RJM clutch pedal further reduces the likelihood of CSC failure. I'm planning to pull the trigger on it in the next couple weeks. Just building up some spousal equity first
Seems like a good idea, swapping clutch fluid at 20k intervals. And good post on Ryan's feedback. He's been saying for years that his pedal addresses the root cause of failure on the OEM CSC. I'm thinking three things:

One, after all the miles on your car, how much trust do you have in the CSC seals right now, irrespective of getting the RJM pedal and (purportedly) minimizing that risk on a go-forward basis? I mean, if you've been eating prime rib every night for 4 years, and suddenly go vegan...

And two, trying to proactively avoid a blown CSC experience (which is horrible, believe me), is a great spousal argument. But the real motivation is how much better it makes your car to drive. It's a fantastic mod.

And three, it's an inexpensive mod which has a huge, positive effect on driving your car.

Oh, and here's one more... No one except RJM makes this aftermarket pedal. Ryan is a one-man shop, and anything can happen to shut him down. So if you're thinking of getting this device, just do it now, with no regrets.

Originally Posted by pri.g
Definitely had to google "gave up the ghost."

Last edited by Rochester; 09-15-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:52 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

From RJM:

[I]batboyvaj, I'm sure it's been covered a few times in the past 18
Oh yeah, clutch slave cylinder- I have heard of issues with that before. I love your screen name to RJM "batboyvaj"

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's surprising coming from you. I would have thought you'd own this issue, have the RJM pedal already, and probably an aftermarket CSC.

I vaguely remember reading some negative comments about the CSC elimination kit from Z1 Motorsports.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...it-p-7340.html

Seems like a good idea, swapping clutch fluid at 20k intervals. And good post on Ryan's feedback. He's been saying for years that his pedal addresses the root cause of failure on the OEM CSC. I'm thinking three things:

One, after all the miles on your car, how much trust do you have in the CSC seals right now, irrespective of getting the RJM pedal and (purportedly) minimizing that risk on a go-forward basis? I mean, if you've been eating prime rib every night for 4 years, and suddenly go vegan...

And two, trying to proactively avoid a blown CSC experience (which is horrible, believe me), is a great spousal argument. But the real motivation is how much better it makes your car to drive. It's a fantastic mod.

And three, it's an inexpensive mod which has a huge, positive effect on driving your car.

Oh, and here's one more... No one except RJM makes this aftermarket pedal. Ryan is a one-man shop, and anything can happen to shut him down. So if you're thinking of getting this device, just do it now, with no regrets.

When my car needed a new starter they replaced the slave cylinder as a precaution so I guess it is common on these cars. I had the clutch go to the floor once at Road America after a number of sessions and discovered I was keeping the clutch engaged just a touch too long when I was heel and toe downshifting. I shortened up the engagement time and did not have any issues the next two sessions. I got Z1's insulated clutch line and flushed it with Motul RBF600.

I also saw a video from Engineering explained talking about how the CSC in any car gets more wear when you sit at a stop light with the clutch pushed in, so I stopped doing that.

What negative reviews did you see about the Z1 CSC elimination kit?

I was just thinking the other day that even w/ Jsolo's clutch spring, this car is still hard to drive smoothly. I think I remember you talking about how much you liked the RJM clutch pedal system. Maybe that is not a bad idea. It won't be long before I have the driver's seat out anyway. Is this something you think anyone fairly competent with a set of tools can install? For $285- why not? Did you get the HD master cylinder or just the clutch pedal?

What did you mean by "Ryan is a one-man shop, and anything can happen to shut him down?"