G37 Sedan

Please help me for exhaust sound...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 09:48 PM
ljjhw
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please help me for exhaust sound...

Hi i just have qustion for my 2009 g37x sedan !

i just got car 2 weeks ago !! it was my first car and i m now still in high school

car sound nice and smooth but i just want little more sound !

i try to take out my muffler , but sound was too loud so i put it back on ... haha

i saw there have "vibrant resonator" it was pretty cheap !

is this gonna change sound? i want to do like cbe but those are too expensive

for student.. haha
Old 08-20-2017, 10:36 PM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
in all honesty. dont do anything. save your money and wait till you can buy a quality exhaust or quality parts. you are going to spend a lot more money buying cheap parts and then having to buy the same part again to replace the cheap part.

TLDR: save your money and get used to the car first. then mod your car.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:27 PM
Bommerang
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
It can be pretty exciting owning a nice car while in highschool but like the post above says, save your money enough to buy a quality exhaust versus taking shortcuts.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:45 AM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Yeah, save up for an actual exhaust, otherwise you will keep having nagging problems that you will regret later.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:49 AM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Even though the posts above are true regarding that you should save up for an actual exhaust system, they don't seem to answer the actual question.

As far as vibrant resonators go, I think they enhance the sound in some way But.... I'm not sure if it makes the exhaust louder or quietier, but maybe someone who installed one can chime in.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:34 PM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
OP, I've been in your shoes so I know how it feels to get the mod bug without a ton of finances to back it.

The resonators you're talking about are the Vibrant 1790. Keep in mind you'll need to buy two of them, and I believe they go for about $98 total for two from Summit Racing. Most people pair these with a set of axlebacks to make the exhaust sound a bit louder. There are members who have the Tanabe axleback system who have replaced the OEM resonators with the 1790s to get a bit more growl out of the otherwise quiet Tanabes. The sound is actually quite good!

By themselves, the resonators aren't going to do much of anything with respect to sound. Keep in mind that on top of ordering them for around $100 bucks, you'll also have to pay an exhaust shop to modify your existing resonators. For the money, you could buy a cheap axleback system that you could install yourself. Since you've already tried a muffler delete I won't even mention short-tails.

That being said, being that you're an X model (like myself), our choices for true bolt-on exhausts are quite limited. While the build quality is wonderful, the Tanabe axlebacks don't really do much for the $500 price tag. I currently own them and regret buying them. The only way to "wake them up" is to add a set of RHFC or RTP or go the route of a resonator replacement.

OR you could slightly sacrifice build quality, buy a pair of Topspeed/Beluga/Manzo axlebacks or Y-back system for the same price or less and end up with basically the same sound. Out of the box, the aforementioned have a great sound, and for the price you really can't beat them if you aren't set on a full catback system.

Catbacks for the X are extremely limited with respect to options, and almost all of them cost over $1k. My advice to you is to spend a few hours on YouTube listening to different setups to see which you gravitate towards most. Then make a decision. Take it from someone who hastily rushed into modding, laying out a "mod plan" for your car will save you money, time, and frustration in the long run.

Last edited by Wellnotexactly; 08-21-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:21 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Save the money and go for swaybars. The X is equipped with a weak rear sway and a thicker one will dramatically improve the handling. After that, get yourself sme good tires if you don't already have some.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but the chances of you getting in an accident within the first 2 years of having your license is pretty substantial (80+%). Statistics are against you and a car like the G is only going to tempt you. Keep in mind, if you break something on the G you aren't looking at a cheap fix. It's a fantastic car and reliable as they come but do everything you can in order to be in a position to control the car if you push it. Take it from someone who wrapped their first vehicle around a tree at 18...

That said I'm done with the PSA, the resonators aren't going to do much on the stock exhaust. Usually guys put them on after they've already done a full custom cat-back system in order to play with the sound. You can cruise the Sedan exhaust forum and listen to examples. One of the better sounding custom setups was a Tanabe axle back paired with custom 2.25 piping. The sound was too loud for the owners liking so they applied resonators. Like others have mentioned, I'd recommend pinching your pennies and getting a ARK, Fast Intentions or Motordyne system. They're designed with the AWD in mind and I believe the Motordyne system requires an extension but I can't confirm.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:26 PM
Wellnotexactly

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Save the money and go for swaybars. The X is equipped with a weak rear sway and a thicker one will dramatically improve the handling. After that, get yourself sme good tires if you don't already have some.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but the chances of you getting in an accident within the first 2 years of having your license is pretty substantial (80+%). Statistics are against you and a car like the G is only going to tempt you. Keep in mind, if you break something on the G you aren't looking at a cheap fix. It's a fantastic car and reliable as they come but do everything you can in order to be in a position to control the car if you push it. Take it from someone who wrapped their first vehicle around a tree at 18...

That said I'm done with the PSA, the resonators aren't going to do much on the stock exhaust. Usually guys put them on after they've already done a full custom cat-back system in order to play with the sound. You can cruise the Sedan exhaust forum and listen to examples. One of the better sounding custom setups was a Tanabe axle back paired with custom 2.25 piping. The sound was too loud for the owners liking so they applied resonators. Like others have mentioned, I'd recommend pinching your pennies and getting a ARK, Fast Intentions or Motordyne system. They're designed with the AWD in mind and I believe the Motordyne system requires an extension but I can't confirm.
Excellent points! OP you might also consider an intake system if you really have the itch. Also to your point RMB, the MD cbe system for the sedan is the same for the S and the X with the exception of the Y-Pipe due to the center diff.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:32 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

So there is no fitment issues? I always read one install being perfect and another where an extension was needed since fitment was slightly off.

OP, If you can be patient, scoop up something from the classifieds. Stillen Gen 3s are going up for sale quite often anymore. Just keep in mind you won't be able to really take advantage of bolt ons until after a tune. Hence, why I recommend the sways. You will notice that immediately.

Edit: Here you go

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...st-thread.html
Old 08-21-2017, 02:37 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I agree with RMB. Go with sways and suspension mod.

For power, I would just get a high flow cat.

For what it's worth, I think the stock exhaust tone is one of the best. I think it sounds better than 95% of aftermarket. And arguably sexier tone than my Ark. High flow cat will make it sound a lot meaner and will give you as much gain as a cat back exhaust system.

Lowering your car with some sportier springs is also a good option. But you have a X, so I'm honestly not sure what to advise.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Wellnotexactly

Originally Posted by RMB5190
So there is no fitment issues? I always read one install being perfect and another where an extension was needed since fitment was slightly off.

OP, If you can be patient, scoop up something from the classifieds. Stillen Gen 3s are going up for sale quite often anymore. Just keep in mind you won't be able to really take advantage of bolt ons until after a tune. Hence, why I recommend the sways. You will notice that immediately.

Edit: Here you go

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...st-thread.html
There shouldn't be any need for extensions unless a sedan owner accidentally ordered a coupe version or a coupe version ordered one for a 370z. I do remember seeing a thread where the buyer was sent an incorrect part and waited to have a new/fixed one sent from MD.

As to your swaybar comment, I totally agree. I just ordered the OEM swaybar from an S model. Cheapest option.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:41 PM
Wellnotexactly

Originally Posted by kroy
I agree with RMB. Go with sways and suspension mod.

For power, I would just get a high flow cat.

For what it's worth, I think the stock exhaust tone is one of the best. I think it sounds better than 95% of aftermarket. And arguably sexier tone than my Ark. High flow cat will make it sound a lot meaner and will give you as much gain as a cat back exhaust system.

Lowering your car with some sportier springs is also a good option. But you have a X, so I'm honestly not sure what to advise.
Swift springs are awesome for the X and are slightly less aggressive than the Eibach Pro Kit. Someone may want to chime in here but the Eibach may still have the "droopy butt" problem.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:49 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

@kroy, Lot of truth to this. My fiance always comments how, even beside cars with modified exhausts, that the G sounds mean and she can't even hear the other guys over the cabin noise the stock system makes.

For the X, Tein Basis coils seems to be the safe choice for clearance. Give a mild drop that will take car of wheel gap if you have 18s

@wellnotexactly, I think what you did was smart. The X already has a thick front sway. When I looked at it a few months ago I think the variance is only about 3mm between the Hotchkiss front sway and the stock and only 5mm between the S and the Hotchkiss rear sway.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:00 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
RMB, while shopping for an exhaust I spent a lot of time listening to youtube clips. Just comparing back and forth for hours. Saddest part was realizing I actually liked stock non IPL exhaust tone more than everything other than MD e370. I almost want to say that getting any exhaust for G37 is going to be a downgrade in sound.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:46 PM
Wellnotexactly

Originally Posted by kroy
RMB, while shopping for an exhaust I spent a lot of time listening to youtube clips. Just comparing back and forth for hours. Saddest part was realizing I actually liked stock non IPL exhaust tone more than everything other than MD e370. I almost want to say that getting any exhaust for G37 is going to be a downgrade in sound.
Maybe in hard of hearing but I swear the stock exhaust on my G is almost totally silent. I think the coupes got the best stock exhaust for sure, but I just think the sedan exhaust is too quiet.