G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
IMO, the Camaro is always a head-turner on the road, a monster on the spec sheet, and a tacky piece of junk behind the wheel. Same for the Challenger. The Stang, however... there's more room for compromise in that car. Nostalgia makes me love domestic muscle, but reality and old age keeps bringing me back to my senses.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:00 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
IMO, the Camaro is always a head-turner on the road, a monster on the spec sheet, and a tacky piece of junk behind the wheel. Same for the Challenger. The Stang, however... there's more room for compromise in that car. Nostalgia makes me love domestic muscle, but reality and old age keeps bringing me back to my senses.
See, I'm not used to nice interiors, so I don't know what I'm missing. Every car I've owned has had hard plastics, squeaks and rattles, chips in the dash and trim, and my G even has an interior water leak. I can't see the Camaro being any worse than what I've had or currently live with. Maybe as I grow older I'll value interior refinement over performance, but right now I just want a monster than will suffice as a daily.

I wonder what the price range of a Mustang GT 10-speed will be in 3-4 years. If I can snag that guy for around $30k, I'd wouldn't hesitate to go that route.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:59 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Read up on the Mustang before deciding. Lots of complaints about ticking/slapping in the bottom end of the newest models. Also, while fast, I've heard a lot of people recommending the 2015-2017 7-speed over the 10-speed for durability reasons. While I applaud Ford for not taking the bail out money, Chevy has really turned the corner compared to what they were putting out in the early-mid 2000s. Ford seems to be...peaky.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:03 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Read up on the Mustang before deciding. Lots of complaints about ticking/slapping in the bottom end of the newest models. Also, while fast, I've heard a lot of people recommending the 2015-2017 7-speed over the 10-speed for durability reasons. While I applaud Ford for not taking the bail out money, Chevy has really turned the corner compared to what they were putting out in the early-mid 2000s. Ford seems to be...peaky.
Dang, after some quick searches, it looks like you may be right. I think the new camaro uses the same transmission - wonder if it's a problem there too.

And yeah, can't really go wrong with GM or Ford sports cars nowadays. I think I've slowly become a Cadillac fanboy - I had been eyeing the Vsport for a replacement as well, but there's next to nothing for aftermarket mods.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Guys, in the spirit of this thread's original intent... I can't figure out why anyone would intentionally settle for an automatic transmission when a proper 6MT was available.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Guys, in the spirit of this thread's original intent... I can't figure out why anyone would intentionally settle for an automatic transmission when a proper 6MT was available.

The following 2 users liked this post by Corprin:
obsidiansamurai (01-04-2019), Rochester (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 04:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Well, that shut me down. LOL
Old 01-04-2019, 07:51 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Because I've betrayed myself. I notice when I say the words "I'd like the automatic", they come out so sheepishly and faint.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
Have you had the chance to test drive one? I hear you get used to the visibility issues, especially with blind spot monitoring, but it still kind of worries me.

Can't say I care much about rear leg room - no kids and usually just one passenger at the most. A better interior would be nice, but I don't really look at it as a downgrade from the G - my interior squeaks and rattles all of time (it's just part of its charm ).
We took in an SS on trade recently and I sat in it. The view out was not terrible, but not great. The weird feeling I got was that the car felt huge, but the interior felt very tiny and cheap/tinny compared to the G. I kept thinking, "what is taking up all the space that is not used on the interior if the car feels this huge?" Then I remembered- big V8.

You mentioned something about an automatic earlier. Please refrain from such vulgar language in the future.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:12 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
We took in an SS on trade recently and I sat in it. The view out was not terrible, but not great. The weird feeling I got was that the car felt huge, but the interior felt very tiny and cheap/tinny compared to the G. I kept thinking, "what is taking up all the space that is not used on the interior if the car feels this huge?" Then I remembered- big V8.

You mentioned something about an automatic earlier. Please refrain from such vulgar language in the future.
​​​​​I'm going to try and find one this weekend to sit in (at a dealership of course). If it's too tiny that might be an issue.

And apologies for the offensive language.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (01-07-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 11:03 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
A 2ss 1le in an automatic would be acceptable. I wouldn't mind a MT one bit if it wasn't for all the stupid traffic around here.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:21 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
A 2ss 1le in an automatic would be acceptable. I wouldn't mind a MT one bit if it wasn't for all the stupid traffic around here.
Daily driving and a traffic is why I lean towards an automatic too. Though I hear the manual in the Camaro is great, so maybe I won't completely throw that option out. I bet it's smoother than the G's MT.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:35 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
For what it's worth, I've heard nothing but good things about the Tremec six speed they use.

The ATS V is my front runner for a future car and every reviewer raves about the six speed model. The AT seems to induce rage.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:12 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

I wonder if it's something some reprogramming could take care of. The Camaro doesn't seem to get much flak despite having the same transmission.

​​​​​​Hope the used ats v's drop quite a bit in price over the next few years. I'd rather have that than a camaro.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:36 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
Daily driving and a traffic is why I lean towards an automatic too. Though I hear the manual in the Camaro is great, so maybe I won't completely throw that option out. I bet it's smoother than the G's MT.
I often wonder with these new electronic parking brakes, what happens if the battery dies.

The '16 I test drove wasn't too bad with the stock clutch. In fact, it wouldn't even be an area of concern. No matter how well you can rev match with your feet, the computer does it better and more precise. I would gladly welcome that into the G. Odd the 370z has it but ours doesn't.

I think the AT is a $1500 or so option. AT also gets slightly better mpg along with remote start. The 6mt has gm's stupid CAGS system (bypassable).

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?