G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 03:22 PM
Iilac
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
It is definitely getting to be slim pickings for high hp 6MT sedans. I think it is down to M3 and ATS-V now and the ATS-V sedan is all done this year.

I really have high hopes for the new STI, but there are so many rumors of DCT and hybrid tech. I'd be ok w/ hybrid since it will probably be there to improve power and it would definitely help that car's atrocious mpg, but I am afraid that would also mean no 6MT I can't think of any hybrid cars with a manual transmission.

Only the CRZ so not good news that the new STI will be MT.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:07 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Iilac
Only the CRZ so not good news that the new STI will be MT.
Oh that's right. The ugly car with bad mileage AND performance. How did they ever sell any of those?
Old 10-06-2018, 08:22 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
It is definitely getting to be slim pickings for high hp 6MT sedans. I think it is down to M3 and ATS-V now and the ATS-V sedan is all done this year.

I really have high hopes for the new STI, but there are so many rumors of DCT and hybrid tech. I'd be ok w/ hybrid since it will probably be there to improve power and it would definitely help that car's atrocious mpg, but I am afraid that would also mean no 6MT I can't think of any hybrid cars with a manual transmission.
Yeah, I specifically left the ATS-V off the list. Even the 2.0 6mt is dead.

Subaru is in the record for saying the WRX/STi will have a 6mt, but with all the hybrid rumors, I wonder if the STi might drop the MT and it’s the WRX that carries on with the 6mt.

Manual sedans are dying, fast. Sucks
Old 10-06-2018, 08:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

Yeah, I specifically left the ATS-V off the list. Even the 2.0 6mt is dead.

Subaru is in the record for saying the WRX/STi will have a 6mt, but with all the hybrid rumors, I wonder if the STi might drop the MT and it’s the WRX that carries on with the 6mt.

Manual sedans are dying, fast. Sucks
I wonder about that STI. All the rumors I hear are of a 2020 STI so we should see it next year.

You are right about manual sedans dying a slow, painful death. It is even becoming hard to find coupes with 6MT lately.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:56 PM
qpham45

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by milosz
Mercedes makes cars that are very pretty and can be fun to drive. Reliability is poor, however; among the least reliable cars made, overall - according to Consumer Reports etc.
Well if you haven't owned one don't listen to consumer reports. My wife and I both traded out Gs in for Mercedes and all I can say is that its the best investment we made when it came to owning a car. I can honestly say that we have had ZERO problems since owning them and its been a over a years for us. The only thing that i have done is simple maintenance - oil change, air filter replacements, cabin filter replacement. I haven't even replaced the rotors or pads yet and I have put on over 55k miles on my E class. I replaced the tires only once as well. Sorry but when it comes to reliability I can honestly say from my experience is that my G and my wife's G had more problems and issues than our Mercedes. Its quiet, reliable, comfortable, handles very well, and drives extremely solid. It may not be the best at a certain thing BUT does "everything" really really well. I am very happy with my car. If you get a chance of owning one I would say that you give if a shot and don't believe all you hear. Most people that complain about a certain vehicle never owned one or they just read it somewhere.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:20 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
^Such bizarre reasoning. Ignore decades of industry reports and just give it a whirl because I did?

Note: G drivers are by and large folks that would've grabbed a 3-series, S4 or AMG but are too practical (or cheap) to ignore their reliability records and maintenance costs
The following users liked this post:
Love2Drive (01-22-2020)
Old 10-08-2018, 10:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
^Such bizarre reasoning. Ignore decades of industry reports and just give it a whirl because I did?

Note: G drivers are by and large folks that would've grabbed a 3-series, S4 or AMG but are too practical (or cheap) to ignore their reliability records and maintenance costs
Who you calling "large folks"?

Well said, Saint. I used to have a friend with an out-of-warranty 650i Vert who drove that car in constant fear of the eventual big repair bill. And while we're no longer friends and I have no idea if that big bill ever came, I know this... sucks waiting for it to happen.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:47 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

Who you calling "large folks"?

Well said, Saint. I used to have a friend with an out-of-warranty 650i Vert who drove that car in constant fear of the eventual big repair bill. And while we're no longer friends and I have no idea if that big bill ever came, I know this... sucks waiting for it to happen.

The anxiety I had with my e46 over the randomly exploding coolant expansion tanks is real. I was always on the verge of "whats going to break next and should I just fix/replace it now and get it over with so I'm not stranded on the side of the road". Only issue I've had with the G from 32k - 80k miles is the rear differential bushing (which is a given because I THRASH the car).
Old 10-09-2018, 09:59 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
My family has owned a handful and their NA cars are pretty solid; especially the 3.5 V6 (5.5 SC V8, M157, is bullet proof). On the other hand, the 2.0 they have is just shaky in terms of reliability but the thing makes stupid power. I grabbed the G because IMO it was a jack of all trades but a master of none.

Outside of really oddball issues like the airbag relay, timing gasket, etc. a lot of the issues would be run of the mill wear items that I could take care of myself on a weekend. Anyways, with the latest 2018 reports, Audi and BMW are hard to ignore at 4 & 5; especially when BMW's least reliable model is the i3 and most reliable is the 2-series...The M2 could be fun...
Old 10-09-2018, 11:50 AM
qpham45

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint

The reasoning isn't bizarre by any standards. Sorry but MOST G drivers would only cross shop a 3 series, A4 class, and C class. They wouldn't even consider an AMG since its double the price of a new G or Q50. Unless they get it used and with high mileage. Most G buyers since the last few years are kids or want a luxury car that is within their budget. Since I'm assuming you never owned a MB you wouldn't know the actual cost of repair or maintenance so you would have nothing to compare the prices to.

I can attest that all the Infiniti that my entire family ( wife, father, mother, brother, me, aunts, uncles,...) has owned - a total of 13 in all ever since 2006 has given us more problems than our current cars, which is all Mercedes and 3 Lexus. And yes we do tend to switch to the same brand of cars when a couple of us make the switch. Am I saying Infiniti is unreliable? No. I am giving you MY personal experience with them since ACTUALLY owning both brands. Instead of, "my friends car, my neighbors car, my uncle's aunt retired ex wife's car, etc...I also didn't say that all Mercedes won't give you problems. Like I have stated before in some other post, different people will have different results with their choice of cars. Some just have it worse than others. And some never seem to have a problem. Maybe my entire family and I were the lucky ones that never has had a major issue with Mercedes. But weren't so lucky with Infiniti. Also I'm not a MB fan boy that is coming on this forum to hate. I've been here for some many years. I loved my G but I know for a fact that I had more mechanical issues with it than I would have liked.

My comment is directed at all the people that keep saying MB is so unreliable and always give you problems...because I "read" on this magazine or online CR reports. Most people with problems with their cars tend to over exaggerate their problems when making a report blowing it all up. Just read on the Q50 reports when they came out. People were calling it one of the most unreliable cars because of a glitch in the navi or how the car isn't quiet, or how the transmission tend to stay in a gear longer than they wanted, bad gas mileage, the interior plastics were painted on and were chipped because they scratched it or how the bushings went bad.... None of those are about reliability.

Basically what I am trying to say is that if you don't have actual experience with something yourself don't make a judgement call on it.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by qpham45
Most people with problems with their cars tend to over exaggerate their problems when making a report blowing it all up.
And most people who've enjoyed a problem-free experience with a particular make & model will over-exaggerate their reliability, regardless of statistical evidence to the contrary.

People are funny.

Here ya go... and Benz makes the grade at #12, while Infiniti came in at #4. Does it really mean anything? Meh, cars break. The greater concern is cost of repair for an out-of-warranty problem. I'd much rather own a Nissan/Infiniti out-of-warranty than a Merc, which is a gut feeling based on nothing whatsoever.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-...-ranked-2018-2

Basically what I am trying to say is that if you don't have actual experience with something yourself don't make a judgement call on it.
LOL. Judgement calls is what we do. Might as well ask us not to breath.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:47 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

qpham- I totally get what you are saying and it makes sense. Another perspective is that most cars today are pretty reliable. So I do believe that the newer Mercedes, BMW, etc. you get the better chance you have of it being reliable. Yes, it still costs a lot more to do maintenance items on a performance BMW or Mercedes than it does on a performance Infiniti.

I had an E46 BMW M3 that was a great car to drive, but it was very common that the VANOS in the engine would go bad and that the rear subframe mounts in the chassis would tear out. Both were very expensive items to fix. We have a used E92 M3 here at my store that would be a great car to drive, but every mechanic I talk to tells me to spend $1,500 in parts just for new crank shaft bearings before ever driving the car!?! We had an E55 AMG here that I was really considering getting as it was a total sleeper. I asked my Mercedes tech across the street about reliability. He said to avoid it as the air shocks alone are $4,000/corner and it is not a question of if they go out, but when. I had him look up the service history and the previous owner had already replaced 2, so he spent $8,000 on 2 shocks!?! My point is that other people's concerns about these vehicles are not unsubstantiated.

If you want more proof go look up the cost of an extended warranty for your car vs. the same warranty for a similar Infiniti. The cost is based on the average cost of repairs. I did this when I was between my Infiniti and an M3 of the same year/mileage. The M3 warranty was about 4 times as expensive. My Nissan service department is a fraction of the size of my Mercedes service department but yet we constantly sell 4-5 times more cars at Nissan. Why is that?
Old 10-09-2018, 01:08 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

We just got in a 2013 Audi RS5 with a 450hp V8, AWD, Carbon Ceramic brakes, 20" wheels, Bang & Olufsen stereo, etc. with only 23k miles. Only 1,500 imported to the U.S. and probably a lot less with these options. So that would be fun...

Old 10-09-2018, 05:40 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
Gotcha, well look, I get what you're probably trying to say, but the way you're saying it here ignores a concept called critical thinking. Which, you know, is kinda of an important thing for most people. Have fun.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:58 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
We just got in a 2013 Audi RS5 with a 450hp V8, AWD, Carbon Ceramic brakes, 20" wheels, Bang & Olufsen stereo, etc. with only 23k miles. Only 1,500 imported to the U.S. and probably a lot less with these options. So that would be fun...

*sigh*

Now I have to open up CarGurus again...

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?