G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 03:59 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I'd say the only issue with tuning the 6MT is that it sounds like the OE clutch is almost at capacity with stock power levels. One nice thing is the JB1/4 is just a piggyback unit, so it's invisible.

And this is my dilemma, because I really like the G37 the way I have it setup too. I'll be at 70K this time next year, and 82K in 2020. I'm just not as optimistic as some of you that the next gen STI and R are going to have the required 6MT and be in my sub $40K price range, and I don't see anything new on the horizon that meets the 4 door/6MT/AWD or RWD criteria. Plus, my car is showing some signs of age, and there are a few things that are just bothering me about it. I'd be inconsolable if I waited and got forced into an auto.

My kids have a sleepover Saturday, so I'm going to go with the wife and drive the R again, the salesperson certainly implied they could do better on the price. There must be some backend money on them to make way for the 18s if dealers are advertising $5K off sticker, which is $3500 under invoice.
Call up APR tuning if you have questions about the clutch on the Golf R.

$5k off of an '18 Golf R is crazy. I know incentives vary by region, but our store just switched to upfront pricing where all the cars are sold for nothing and we only have $2k in mark up.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:05 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Call up APR tuning if you have questions about the clutch on the Golf R.

$5k off of an '18 Golf R is crazy. I know incentives vary by region, but our store just switched to upfront pricing where all the cars are sold for nothing and we only have $2k in mark up.
Yeah, APR and the JB1/4 both put down ridiculous power in these cars. It sounds like there are starting to be flashes for the 4-Motion AWD too.

Must be regional. VA and GA are both advertising $5K off MSRP. Too many AWD $40K 6MTs in the south? The fact that they were delayed in port for some reason is likely contributing to the supply:demand.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3731/overview/
Old 07-28-2018, 12:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I just checked out the forums for F80 M3's and ATS-V's. I was amazed to see how slow the F80 M3 sites seem to move. The ATS-V forums are a joke. I think they get about 10 posts a year. Yikes! At least there were no posts in the "recalls" section.

I have to think there will be a little better support for M3's through the forums as I see more of them on track and they definitely have a lot longer history of being on track. This correlates to how few ATS-V's I see used compared to M3's. All interesting angles to consider when looking at a different car and quite a difference compared to this site.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:22 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I just checked out the forums for F80 M3's and ATS-V's. I was amazed to see how slow the F80 M3 sites seem to move. The ATS-V forums are a joke. I think they get about 10 posts a year. Yikes! At least there were no posts in the "recalls" section.

I have to think there will be a little better support for M3's through the forums as I see more of them on track and they definitely have a lot longer history of being on track. This correlates to how few ATS-V's I see used compared to M3's. All interesting angles to consider when looking at a different car and quite a difference compared to this site.
I had already browsed both those forums, and yeah, the ATS-V doesn't have a very active owners group, and the production numbers kind of reflect that. I suspect you have not just the M3 followers, but the larger group of M enthusiasts. The only problem area I found when researching the ATS-V is some people complain of wastegate rattle.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:21 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The only problem area I found when researching the ATS-V is some people complain of wastegate rattle.

I saw that too. What a weird thing to complain about and something that should be relatively easy to fix.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:08 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

I didn’t do extensive research on it, but the people that complained about it had a hard time getting it fixed. One guy said the dealership had his car for over 60 days. It does seem you either have the problem or you don’t, and it’s not something that just develops.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:39 AM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
the more i read the responses, the more i realize that there isn't going to be a car that hits most (if not all) the boxes the G hits. Hoping to hold onto my car for a long time (at about 50K miles). The GTI/Golf R were my original replacements, but after the debacle my old roommate went through after surpassing 50K miles, I am way more skeptical. As someone eluded to before, unless you go German or break the bank, its going to be tough to replicate the G. Another old roommate has the Q50 red sport and just purchased infiniti's sport exhaust for it. He loves it, but has said that they went way more luxury than sport, and that is what I don't want. I saw a C63 S AMG the other day in their navy blue and tried to think of a way I could quickly (legally) come up with $80K.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:45 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Well I got lucky and will be getting free road trips (Supercharging) on my Model 3 Performance model. And it's now part of the referral program. With a referral you get a year free. Not a bad perk. Anyways. There's a guy working on parts for the car. It's going to be quite the track machine.

mdigiorgio35, I too was considering a Golf R at one point. Needless to say, I am forever done with that idea. I was even seriously considering a Chevy SS. Reading the SS forums is so sad these days. Glad I didn't go down that road either. CTS-V is a great car too, but I plan on keeping my next car for at least 10 years. I don't see a CTS-V lasting me that long.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Why is the SS forum sad?
Old 08-02-2018, 11:39 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Just not so active anymore.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:49 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by mdigiorgio35
the more i read the responses, the more i realize that there isn't going to be a car that hits most (if not all) the boxes the G hits. Hoping to hold onto my car for a long time (at about 50K miles). The GTI/Golf R were my original replacements, but after the debacle my old roommate went through after surpassing 50K miles, I am way more skeptical. As someone eluded to before, unless you go German or break the bank, its going to be tough to replicate the G. Another old roommate has the Q50 red sport and just purchased infiniti's sport exhaust for it. He loves it, but has said that they went way more luxury than sport, and that is what I don't want. I saw a C63 S AMG the other day in their navy blue and tried to think of a way I could quickly (legally) come up with $80K.
My mkvi gti went to crap at 50k. I unloaded it and snagged my g. I won't buy a vw again. The service at dealers was so bad I actually have reserves about ever purchasing an Audi.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:03 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TheLocNar
https://www.ssforums.com/index.php?page=active_topics

It's easily as active, if not more active, than here.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by TheLocNar
Ah. Not too surprised. I mean, extremely low number of cars actually imported, for only a few years, and at a premium price for a Chevy, with unremarkable design appearance. But the mechanical design and the specs, what a great car! Drove a SS 6MT last year, and it was awesome. Big, heavy, luxurious, all kind of tech, and undeniable power.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:08 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester

Ah. Not too surprised. I mean, extremely low number of cars actually imported, for only a few years, and at a premium price for a Chevy, with unremarkable design appearance. But the mechanical design and the specs, what a great car! Drove a SS 6MT last year, and it was awesome. Big, heavy, luxurious, all kind of tech, and undeniable power.
Did it feel so big and heavy that it lost the kind of throwability our cars have? I've never driven an SS, because I've always thought it would feel ponderous compared to the G, and I tend to enjoy a good handling car over brute power.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Did it feel so big and heavy that it lost the kind of throwability our cars have? I've never driven an SS, because I've always thought it would feel ponderous compared to the G, and I tend to enjoy a good handling car over brute power.
It didn't *feel* like it could handle well, because of the size and weight. But the summer tires and magnetic ride dampers made it a point-and-shoot rocket. The other thing that shocked me was how accessible the power was, from idle all the way to red line. It was super unique, breathtakingly powerful, and loaded with luxury tech. If only it didn't look like a disposable POS Chevy (which it actually isn't, but still looks like it is.)

For people like you (and me I guess), the intrinsic value of the car is the performance, the rewarding driving experience, and the undeniable uniqueness. If you can get beyond the Chevy-ness of this Aussie import, it could be a great choice.

Here's a pic of Mike's car, parked next to Roger's Nismo Z.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-03-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?