G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I despise taking my car to the dealer. In many ways, reliability, and the complete lack of having to deal with warranty issues is a major contributor to my vehicular happiness.

In 6 years, my G has been back to the dealer 3 times, which is acceptable. I've owned Japanese cars exclusively since 2005, and I've had 5 dealership/warranty claims. Not a bad run
Old 07-18-2018, 11:38 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
I sold my 2013 2.0T 6MT Genesis to get my current G. I loved the car except it was a complete lemon and I ended up getting rid of it in under a year. In that time I had something like 16 warranty trips to the dealership for various things. Great car when it all worked, though.
^ my bro in-law also has a 2013 genesis coupe 2.0T 6MT. he's had it since new, and says it hasn't needed anything but oil changes and regular services. maybe his was built on a good day, or yours was built on a Friday PM?

his car is fun, and has 275hp compared to the current 255hp. but i understand the 2.0T has been reworked to improve drive-ability, reduce peakiness and provides a much broader powerband.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:47 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115
My Sonata was the same issues before I got the G. Tons of trips to the dealership for small stupid crap and it was like trying to convince a person to get a root canal to get work done. I know Genesis is supposed to be different (akin to Lincoln vs Ford) but at the end of the day almost all the Genesis dealerships are Hyundai dealerships and my experiences with them have been completely tainted. I don't want to be one of the "masses". I want to be respected when I bring a sincere issue to their attention and I expect it to be resolved, not ignored or blown off.
Mine was also a bunch of smaller things, shift ****, a couple heat shields, tail light seals, front grille assembly, rear main seal on the engine, one headlight, one infotainment computer, one transmission, both window regulators and a few other odds and ends, the car was great otherwise.

Originally Posted by Rochester
The nearest Genesis dealership to me is freaking Toronto.

I agree with that sentiment... I would not be comfortable going to a Hyundai dealership for service. It's way too soon to be making the Infiniti/Nissan equivalency comparison to Genesis/Hyundai.

Doesn't Genesis have a Concierge Service? That would at least hide the problem.
At least the dealership service was good to me the whole time, I was on a first name basis with most of the service advisers as well as the parts guy and two of the techs over my car. I always got loaners and was never given issues while they fixed whatever was broken at the time.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
It really seems like service of the brand depends on the quality of the employees. It is unfortunate that none of them are paid very well. We finally have 3 really good guys at our Nissan store and the service is awesome. However, it took a long time to get there.

Hyundai is one of the brands I have sold for 16 years and I have not had anyone that really had any issues with any of their cars. The guys who specialize in Hyundai/Genesis have a banner from Hyundai indicating that they have had the highest customer retention for the last 7 years straight compared to every other brand. So they must be doing something right.

Rochester, the Hyundai Equus (now Genesis) and newer Genesis vehicles do have a concierge service as well. However, Hyundai models, like the Genesis coupe, never had this service.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:13 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Test drove a slightly modified 2016 WRX Sti in red yesterday at an Audi dealership while waiting on the Jeep to get a recall fixed.

Had the following mods as far as I could discern: HKS sequential blow-off valve, 20mm spacers all around, some kind of quality heat shield around the belts, and a Cobb air intake installed very well. Could have been chipped. It all made no difference.

Car was loud and handled well on a hard right, but it was just odd. I swear it felt slower than my G37 and I've done nothing to that car besides remove the mufflers (1-2 hp maybeeeeee). Also, I know I'm insane and/or delusional for saying this, but I swear I felt torque steer. Car felt like it was pulling hard through the gears but the speedometer did not corroborate that claim.

I was underwhelmed.

https://www.audicary.com/used/Subaru...c884e19787.htm

Am I insane? More torque and a better power curve and less weight yet it felt...slower?
Old 07-23-2018, 08:37 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Test drove a slightly modified 2016 WRX Sti in red yesterday at an Audi dealership while waiting on the Jeep to get a recall fixed.

Had the following mods as far as I could discern: HKS sequential blow-off valve, 20mm spacers all around, some kind of quality heat shield around the belts, and a Cobb air intake installed very well. Could have been chipped. It all made no difference.

Car was loud and handled well on a hard right, but it was just odd. I swear it felt slower than my G37 and I've done nothing to that car besides remove the mufflers (1-2 hp maybeeeeee). Also, I know I'm insane and/or delusional for saying this, but I swear I felt torque steer. Car felt like it was pulling hard through the gears but the speedometer did not corroborate that claim.

I was underwhelmed.

https://www.audicary.com/used/Subaru...c884e19787.htm

Am I insane? More torque and a better power curve and less weight yet it felt...slower?
I've heard people claim the felt torque steer in the STi before also. Could be tires, inflation, alignment, who knows what might have been "upgraded" on the suspension.

Did you rev it hard? It's a somewhat large turbo, so it's sleeping down low. Gotta keep the revs above 35-4000 to really feel the power. I recently drove a 2017 and thought it was about on par with my G37, certainly not faster.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:44 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I've heard people claim the felt torque steer in the STi before also. Could be tires, inflation, alignment, who knows what might have been "upgraded" on the suspension.

Did you rev it hard? It's a somewhat large turbo, so it's sleeping down low. Gotta keep the revs above 35-4000 to really feel the power. I recently drove a 2017 and thought it was about on par with my G37, certainly not faster.
Car Salesman was my age...early 30's. Let me drive the **** out of it. I didn't go super fast but I certainly redlined the car, repeatedly. My butt dyno said it was fast, but the speedometer told me otherwise. I literally joked with him about it.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:11 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Car Salesman was my age...early 30's. Let me drive the **** out of it. I didn't go super fast but I certainly redlined the car, repeatedly. My butt dyno said it was fast, but the speedometer told me otherwise. I literally joked with him about it.
It's certainly a visceral car, with short gears and lots of shifting, so it feels fast, even if it isn't. Easily fixed in the aftermarket if you want to go down that path though.

My biggest takeaway from driving an STi was the handling. It was really flat, with great turn in. I was impressed for a "stock" car.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
It's certainly a visceral car, with short gears and lots of shifting, so it feels fast, even if it isn't. Easily fixed in the aftermarket if you want to go down that path though.

My biggest takeaway from driving an STi was the handling. It was really flat, with great turn in. I was impressed for a "stock" car.
It's a very visceral car. Grips & launches in a way that shocks you. So yeah, it feels a lot faster, but really isn't. I still don't consider the little Subby a reasonable choice if your automotive priorities brought you to a G37. But that's just my thinking, and I'm feeling my next car will have luxury over sport anyway, so I'm biased. LOL, we're all biased.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:48 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm feeling my next car will have luxury over sport anyway, so I'm biased. LOL, we're all biased.
How long do you figure it’ll take for you to move the needle a couple ticks towards the sports side of the meter, John. I suppose it all depends on the starting point, and can’t be answered... yet.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:00 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

It's a very visceral car. Grips & launches in a way that shocks you. So yeah, it feels a lot faster, but really isn't. I still don't consider the little Subby a reasonable choice if your automotive priorities brought you to a G37. But that's just my thinking, and I'm feeling my next car will have luxury over sport anyway, so I'm biased. LOL, we're all biased.
The problem is, there is nothing like the G37S anymore (

I remain torn, because there are aspects of the STi that really appeal to me, but the interior quality and fit and finish is definitely a step down from the G. The Golf R strikes a nice middle ground, but VW reliability kinda scares me.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nico-derm
How long do you figure it’ll take for you to move the needle a couple ticks towards the sports side of the meter, John. I suppose it all depends on the starting point, and can’t be answered... yet.
I don't have an answer. "Next Car" is still out there 4 years give or take.

You know that I want a Jag F-Type S 6MT, but it's kind of an impractical goal, because it will have to be so used as to be out-of-warranty, and that's not a car you should own out-of-warranty. On top of which, the overall impracticality of the car is kind of hard to deny, even though that's also part of its appeal.

Then I start thinking about luxury cars that also have power, and my aging bones are liking that route more and more.

And then I start weighing the cost of college, and all options go off the table.

IDK, man. Conversations like this certainly help me think it over, though.

The problem is, there is nothing like the G37S anymore (

I remain torn, because there are aspects of the STi that really appeal to me, but the interior quality and fit and finish is definitely a step down from the G. The Golf R strikes a nice middle ground, but VW reliability kinda scares me.
I feel your concerns here, Lego. You want a warrantied, new car that at a minimum is better than your G at checking off the boxes that makes your car the perfect fit for you, while still being around $40K and offering a manual transmission.

Unless you crack open your wallet and go German, or used-car, you just don't have options in the US market anymore.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-23-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:05 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

I don't have an answer. "Next Car" is still out there 4 years give or take.

You know that I want a Jag F-Type S 6MT, but it's kind of an impractical goal, because it will have to be so used as to be out-of-warranty, and that's not a car you should own out-of-warranty. On top of which, the overall impracticality of the car is kind of hard to deny, even though that's also part of its appeal.

Then I start thinking about luxury cars that also have power, and my aging bones are liking that route more and more.

And then I start weighing the cost of college, and all options go off the table.

IDK, man. Conversations like this certainly help me think it over, though
Yep, I feel your pain... and am on the same timeline if not longer. I don’t have the college cost looming immediately(6yr old step-daughter), but I have a wedding next year and new house to swallow in the following year(s).

Sadly..or not, the next “new” vehicle will be an SUV for mom, and my wants are now at the bottom of the pile lol

Being 33, I got a somewhat late start to the family thing, but made sure to have some fun with the G before everything became more scrutinized I do love looking over options, even if they won’t be practical ones when the time comes
Old 07-23-2018, 12:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Your car is already maxed out for typical mods, (except maybe for that tune.) So yeah, same. Eventually you'll find yourself looking forward to basic maintenance service because it's still car-related.

If that sounds pathetic, it's because it is.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:48 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Yes, and thankfully I can sneak it in because there is no visual change as evidence. Just have to squirrel away the cash.

Clutch and diff fluid changes are next on my “mod list”, and it excites me... maybe a tranny mount if I can determine the noise is from OEM wear.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?