G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 12:07 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
I had a look over at the q50/60 forums.... some of those guys are getting like almost 500 WHP on the RS with a tune, downpipe and exhaust. Now I'm thinking one of those might be an option lol. Although, i'm still not a fan of how the q50 looks all that much.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:12 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
I had a look over at the q50/60 forums.... some of those guys are getting like almost 500 WHP on the RS with a tune, downpipe and exhaust. Now I'm thinking one of those might be an option lol. Although, i'm still not a fan of how the q50 looks all that much.
Or the transmission if you look at the video FI did about their new RS CBE a while back and watch the driver using manual mode, you can still see the big delay of not using a DCT. It's crazy. I would love an RS and would only get it if it came in 6MT or at least a DCT. Until then, im tired of infinitis transmission but I will continue to drive my G until I find a deal on a great new car.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:20 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
The last thing these cars need is a DCT. You get a slightly better experience on the track at the expense of drivability during the 99.9% of the time you're sitting in traffic. That's why nearly every manufacturer who has recently offered a DCT is switching back to a standard torque converter automatic.

Last edited by Victory; 07-31-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:33 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Be nice if they took a clue from what Ford and Chevy have done with their 10AT. Q50 doesn't do it for me but I do like the look of the Q60
Old 07-31-2017, 01:46 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Be nice if they took a clue from what Ford and Chevy have done with their 10AT. Q50 doesn't do it for me but I do like the look of the Q60
Nissan/Jatco have been concentrating more on CVT development as of late. I wouldn't expect an 8-9-10 speed automatic transmission from them anytime soon considering the relatively small number of applications they have for it.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:53 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory
The last thing these cars need is a DCT. You get a slightly better experience on the track at the expense of drivability during the 99.9% of the time you're sitting in traffic. That's why nearly every manufacturer who has recently offered a DCT is switching back to a standard torque converter automatic.
Who, besides Ford, has switched back?

You don't need 400+ HP to sit in traffic either. Nissan should go all the way or leave it alone. The 7AT is easily the worst thing about this platform.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:10 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by future62
Who, besides Ford, has switched back?

You don't need 400+ HP to sit in traffic either. Nissan should go all the way or leave it alone. The 7AT is easily the worst thing about this platform.
BMW has been hinting at ditching DCT's and has already decided to for the next generation M5 (only available with a ZF 8sp). Audi has ditched DCT's in many models in favor of the ZF automatics. GM dumped its plans and instead developed their new 9 and 10 speed automatics. Fiat-Chrysler dumped their plans and instead licensed automatics from ZF. Others like MB and honda have been designing DCT's with torque converters. Even VW has cancelled development of it's 10sp DSG which was slated to replace the current 7sp, indicating they are planning to go in another direction.

I suspect in 10 years you will see very few mass-market cars with DCT's. It just doesn't make sense when the traditional 10sp auto in a Ford F150 can shift faster than a Porsche PDK

You want to go all the way? Buy a GTR. Infiniti is a luxury brand and, as such, prioritized driving experience over track performance.

Last edited by Victory; 07-31-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:24 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricio1991
I'm leaning towards a Lancer Evolution MR or a Q50 3.0T! I have yet to test drive the EVO but I'm sure it'll be fun I want a fun AWD boosted car! Been looking at the prices for mods and there much more affordable than the Gs and also way better power gains! Will see the luxury in the Q50 sways me towards it but I'm not sure if I care anymore I just want a car that is fun to drive now!
I had a '14 Evo X GSR before my G37S sedan. That is what you want if you plan to upgrade power. The MR transmission cannot handle a lot of extra power.

Initially, the GSR can get more torque/$$$$ than the G37S if you get an AMS Accessport and you can get it up to 500hp, but that will cost you as much as a supercharger on the G37S.

Also, stay away from the 2015 if you want the really nice Recaro seats.

Originally Posted by blnewt
This is a pretty good read, front wheel drive or not, the type R deserves props for sure!

Clash of Clans: 2017 Type R vs 2018 370Z vs 2018 STI
The Type R does really well for FWD, but what a strange article. They drive the cars almost 10 hours to a 1.1 mile tiny go-cart track to test them in the rain? Then they pick a Subaru with a 14yr. old engine and a base model 9yr. old Z design with the skinniest tires available and no big brakes or even limited slip diff like the other two cars?? Why did they not compare the Type R to other hot hatches like the Focus RS or the upcoming Golf R with more power and bigger brakes?
Old 07-31-2017, 04:16 PM
Initial B
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyG37
Or the transmission if you look at the video FI did about their new RS CBE a while back and watch the driver using manual mode, you can still see the big delay of not using a DCT. It's crazy. I would love an RS and would only get it if it came in 6MT or at least a DCT. Until then, im tired of infinitis transmission but I will continue to drive my G until I find a deal on a great new car.

yup, agree 100%...but will add that I'd also be happy with an 8-spd ZF like the BMWs use
Old 07-31-2017, 04:22 PM
Initial B
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Man
What other costs are associated with it i.e. insurance, etc. I'm worried me being young and all I'd end up paying more.
Originally Posted by blnewt
If you get just basic liability on the old truck your insurance shouldn't go up a whole lot unless you already have a spotty driving record.

Welcome to the site BTW!
Originally Posted by Man
Thanks! I've been lurking for too long.

Yeah that's the hope, I'm pretty much set on it, already found a truck on craigslist and a pretty clean 08 (also spotted a tempting S2k but not tempting enough!). I gave my insurance agent a call and he gave me a relatively decent quote. The truck would count as a classic so really cheap taxes/inspection/fees, etc.
All I need is a buyer for my G and I'm set.
yup pretty much just insurance and the cost of your annual plate/tags/inspection if you have that in your state.

I'd skip the S2000 unless you want to track it. I had a 2003...fun car but needed more power for the street and had a very limiting interior. Great for track days, though! A G coupe will simply feel much more substantial.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:49 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Initial B
yup, agree 100%...but will add that I'd also be happy with an 8-spd ZF like the BMWs use
Those are smooth and nice too as I heard nothing but great things about them. In other words, most transmissions within the luxury sport sedan category are most likely better than our Gs. In short, infiniti may have the worst transmission out of the entire category is what I'm trying to say.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So another option I have been thinking about (not very seriously) is getting a cheap daily driver and picking up a C6 Z06 or other ridiculously fast/impractical car for track duty/back roads.

The store I work at just took in on trade a Nissan Leaf just like the one I leased for 2 years when I had my M3 and it is stupid cheap. It is literally the perfect cheap daily driver. Instant torque, no gas, no oil changes, and basically no maintenance.

Someone please talk me out of this before I sell the G37S, get the Leaf and start searching for the perfect C6 Z06 or similar car. Or give me more ideas for great sports cars and talk me into yet another illogical car decision.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:41 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Double post due to error with the website- feel free to delete
Old 07-31-2017, 06:53 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
lol OP, none of your comparisons are apples to apples. 335 is more direct comparison to G37S. And 335 will both perform and cost more.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:03 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by kroy
lol OP, none of your comparisons are apples to apples. 335 is more direct comparison to G37S. And 335 will both perform and cost more.

It dosen't have to compare to the G37. I assume most of us want to upgrade to a higher class of car when we get rid of our G's, not sidegrade to another.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?