G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
So this just got traded in at work. Uh oh...
Those have to be the worst looking wheels I've ever seen on a M3. Are those the base 18"s?
Old 06-05-2018, 01:46 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Two thoughts. One is that you work in a Candy Store, LOL.

And the other... I wonder what the trade-in was for?
Very true on the Candy Store idea. You have no idea. There is also a black '13 GT-R across the street right now along with new Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Alfa, Maserati, etc. It makes it tough to keep what I have.

Let's just say I can buy this car for significantly less than any other one in the country with similar miles.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Those have to be the worst looking wheels I've ever seen on a M3. Are those the base 18"s?
Yes, base 18's which seems weird as it has almost every other option available. Don't worry, those would become wheels for snow tires.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:03 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Very true on the Candy Store idea. You have no idea. There is also a black '13 GT-R across the street right now along with new Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Alfa, Maserati, etc. It makes it tough to keep what I have.

Let's just say I can buy this car for significantly less than any other one in the country with similar miles.

Yes, base 18's which seems weird as it has almost every other option available. Don't worry, those would become wheels for snow tires.

DCT or 6MT?

Over/under on 4DRZ upgrading to an M3??
Old 06-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Not going to happen this year, IMO. Too much big $$$ spent on his Infiniti for 2018.

However, given where he's gone with his G, and what he likes to do with the car, I suspect he'd be exactly the right person to own a M3.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

DCT or 6MT?

6MT I'll always go that route if it is an option

on the over/under

Originally Posted by Rochester
Not going to happen this year, IMO. Too much big $$$ spent on his Infiniti for 2018.

However, given where he's gone with his G, and what he likes to do with the car, I suspect he'd be exactly the right person to own a M3.
Safe bet on keeping the G, but for different reasons. Still doing a bit of research...
Old 06-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Safe bet on keeping the G, but for different reasons. Still doing a bit of research...
Translation: CarFax isn't clean and shows a couple accidents
Old 06-05-2018, 06:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Translation: CarFax isn't clean and shows a couple accidents
Ha ha, no it is a carfax 1 owner and looks clean. It just looks like I would not gain too much going with that over what I have now.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:53 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Ha ha, no it is a carfax 1 owner and looks clean. It just looks like I would not gain too much going with that over what I have now.
Aside from flat out acceleration, probably not.

But you’d get to experience Germany reliability and maintenance costs
Old 06-08-2018, 11:55 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I have always been interested in the V8 M3 so I was tempted, but ultimately the G37 lives to see another day. I gave it a lot of serious thought, but it came down to a number of things.

First, I was surprised how underwhelmed I was with the acceleration and how little the "power" button did on the M3. I had an E46 M3 once and it had a similar button (sport?) and that actually made a noticeable difference in throttle sensitivity. With the bolt ons to my car, the tune, and the rear gears it is definitely faster, more fun to drive, and sounds better. The only exception may be at high revs on the track where the M3 may be more fun to drive and ultimately faster.

The catch to that high revving engine is that most of the people I talked to said you need to replace the rod bearings immediately and plan on at least $2,000 to do that. Throttle body actuators also go bad and are $500+ each, but other than that they are supposed to be pretty reliable. The extended warranty companies do not agree though because a similar warranty to my car cost well over $15,000?!? So with most BMW's there was some concern about repair costs.

The other issue with the engine is the fact that the new M3 with its twin turbo I6 has so much more torque and so much potential for tuning. You can spend $2,500 on tuning the V8 and maybe gain 30-40 hp. Hard pass.

Speaking of upgrades, I did not see any company that makes slotted rotors for the track, let alone 2pc. slotted rotors. And why does a $70,000 performance sedan come with sliding one piston calipers. Upgrading to the new M3 calipers (similar to our Akebonos) is over $5,000!!!

The strange thing about the M3 is that it feels like it is really heavy, but the handling is fantastic right out of the box. It is super predictable, even at and over the limit. The steering wheel is nice and thick and the shifting is good as well. The clutch pedal feels a little strange, but it is just soft and has plastic trim very close to the top so you will catch your foot on it a few times until you get used to it. It is very easy to drive though- nothing like the herky jerky clutch in our cars.

The seats, interior design, and stereo also surprised me. The seats were actually very comfortable compared to the seats in my E46 M3, but the leather looked very cheap compared to our seats, especially the back seats. I bet I could also save a lot of weight replacing the front seats as they at least appear to be a lot heavier than our seats. This car had the carbon trim which I thought I would like, but the interior actually looks plain compared to our cars. This particular M3 also had the $1,900 upgraded stereo, but it sounded like garbage. Very tinny sounding compared to the big Bose subwoofers we have in our front doors.

I did like the option of the adaptive suspension. Even in its firmest setting it still rode much smoother than my car on Tein Basis coilovers. (This actually has me thinking about adjustable Koni or Bilstein shocks) This sounds dumb, but the fold down rear seat is a huge plus for me lugging around my mountain bike.

So in the end there were some things I liked better about the M3, but more things I liked about the G. I guess this just solidified my choice of the G. I am sure I could spend some money on the M3 and make it awesome too, but I think the performance would only be marginally better. I think I would rather wait for a newer I6 M3, ATS-V, or RS3.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:02 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Interesting observations, and I tend to agree with most of them.

I dunno about your car being faster than a M3 though. You feel like you’re in the mid/high 12s?
Old 06-08-2018, 02:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Interesting observations, and I tend to agree with most of them.

I dunno about your car being faster than a M3 though. You feel like you’re in the mid/high 12s?
The likelihood is that his G37 *feels* faster, which great for the daily drive, but not so much on the course track the OP enjoys.

4DRZ, good insight into the previous M3 compared to a well-modified G37 that remains NA.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-08-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:31 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The G is definitely faster than the M3, but to get specific, I was referring to the absolute lack of torque around town in the M3. The M3 is noticeably slower until you hit about 6k rpm and then it starts to wake up a bit. At top speed on track, the M3 may have an advantage, but I think it would be slight.

With my car being lighter, having more torque, and shorter gears I don't know how it could be slower than a stock M3.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 06-09-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:57 AM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Hey candy man. = 4DRZ

Do you ever run across the maserati quattrporte or ghibli. I been thinking about buying a used one possibly in a few yrs. From what iv'e read on a few forums they are pretty reliable as DD.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Although I’m sure you intended a newer model

23k Canadian lol
Old 06-09-2018, 04:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
Hey candy man. = 4DRZ

Do you ever run across the maserati quattrporte or ghibli. I been thinking about buying a used one possibly in a few yrs. From what iv'e read on a few forums they are pretty reliable as DD.
Candy man?

We do have a Maserati store across the street, but they are all out of used Maserati's at the moment. They do get them from time to time, but I never really paid attention. I did not know those were reliable now.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?