G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 02:17 AM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Very first one that popped up on cargurus

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Actually, sub 4 seconds 0-60:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...an-test-review

I like the ATS-V, but I'm a wee little bit concerned about long term reliability

Edit: I'm not quite seeing 30K ATS-Vs, but I'm looking at 4 doors, of which, cars.com lists 9 with a manual. Only 3 of which are actually manuals.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9194/overview/

I'm seeing prices in the high 40s-low 50s, which sadly, is about $10K more than I want to go.
Attached Thumbnails What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?-f973922a-339a-4371-9b16-767581db467c.png  
Old 05-09-2018, 07:05 AM
smitty37g

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kia Stinger GT, or Jeep Wrangler.... I really like the look of the Mustang Gt, but just too many of them around..
Old 05-09-2018, 09:11 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by IracknBack
Very first one that popped up on cargurus
wtf? that's basically new. That depreciation tho.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Does appear that coupes are taking a bigger hit than sedans. Maybe because there are more of them
Old 05-09-2018, 11:04 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Does appear that coupes are taking a bigger hit than sedans. Maybe because there are more of them
That could be. The cheapest sedan I saw the other day was about $45k, but it still had really low miles.

I keep looking for a sedan in red with the Performance Data Recorder, Recaros, suede steering wheel/shift ****, and a fold down rear seat. It is really hard to tell if it has the performance data recorder and fold down rear seat.

Not that I need a new car right now, but I think it is between this ATS-V, a '15+ M3, or a GT-R. RS3 or new STI if it is unbelievably good are possibilities.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
All this ATS-V talk (and pics) are making me give it a second look.

Not that I'm actively looking, but you know... keeping an open mind.

We only have one Caddy dealership in the area, and the sales staff are car-ignorant aholes in flashy suits and obvious jewelry.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Yeah, I've been watching the ATS-V sedan for awhile now, and don't see them dipping down below 40K that often, but it's not THAT far off the price of a 2019 STI.

I'd actually prefer to skip the Carbon Fiber and data recording since they are pricey options and try and land more of a 'base' car.

This time next year is new car time for me, so I have awhile to settle on my decision.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:23 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
All this ATS-V talk (and pics) are making me give it a second look.

Not that I'm actively looking, but you know... keeping an open mind.

We only have one Caddy dealership in the area, and the sales staff are car-ignorant aholes in flashy suits and obvious jewelry.
The car would be a huge performance upgrade and fantastic on track with all of the oil, diff, tranny, etc. coolers. A decent sleeper too. Kind of overkill for the street, but who cares?

The good news for you is that if you are looking for a used one, the right one probably will not show up at your local Caddy dealer so you won't have to deal with the sales douches that work there. I guess the only reason to get one from a Cadillac store would be the certified warranty.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:25 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yeah, I've been watching the ATS-V sedan for awhile now, and don't see them dipping down below 40K that often, but it's not THAT far off the price of a 2019 STI.

I'd actually prefer to skip the Carbon Fiber and data recording since they are pricey options and try and land more of a 'base' car.

This time next year is new car time for me, so I have awhile to settle on my decision.
That's the beautiful thing about buying the car used. Most expensive packages when new change the used price very little if anything. The programs dealers use to value cars often do not get detailed enough to get most of the packages. Great news for us enthusiasts as a car with $10k worth of cool options when new might not even register in the value when used.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:18 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Carbuzz ran an article today officially claiming 2018 as the last year of the sedan. This should help depreciate those ATS-V sedans: https://carbuzz.com/news/the-cadilla...fficially-dead
Old 05-09-2018, 04:35 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Carbuzz ran an article today officially claiming 2018 as the last year of the sedan. This should help depreciate those ATS-V sedans: https://carbuzz.com/news/the-cadilla...fficially-dead
Interesting. I feel like the stars are aligning for my next car to be this time next year, right at the 7 year mark with my G.

Rare to see an ATS-V coupe or sedan, where I see M3 and M4s daily.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:12 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by milosz
That's likely to be a fantastic car. And probably incredibly reliable, too. A step up from the G37 in terms of luxury, for sure.

What year?
I imagine it will be bulletproof. 08-10s are in my price range. Quite a few with lowish miles for the age as well as you'd figure for an old man car.

Only real gripes are gas mileage and the level of tech. Going to have to go aftermarket for Bluetooth. I'm hoping the gas mileage is better than the G with a lighter foot. Just gonna cruise. Will be nice to have cooled seats up front and power sunshades for the kid out back. It's always been one of my favorite sedans but I didn't want something that big.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
A nicely modded white Alpha 4C did a couple hot passes by the patio I’m sitting on... looked and sounded amazing. I understand what peaked your interest 4DRZ.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:49 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
*Piqued

I'd consider getting an Alfa just for that logo:

Old 05-13-2018, 03:33 AM
7Head
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Test drove the Genesis G70 3.3t Sport AWD today with my friend who is interested in purchasing one. Got to say I am really impressed. For 58k all in (Canadian), I don't think there are any other luxury sedans out there that has the amount of packages and quality that this car provides, not including used cars of course.

I will give a brief review for anyone interested. Keep in mind that there were 4 people in the car. We are all fairly small in size so around 500 lbs extra.

Driving Dynamics - I drove most of the time in Sport setting, this improves the throttle response and stiffen up the steering. Body roll is my main complaint for this car. With it being close to 4000 lbs, the body roll is fairly apparent. Steering feel is above average, it was not very communicative but I knew when the front tires were giving out, which is already better than many new luxury cars out there. Bumps and such were also communicated through the steering wheel, but it was all pretty numb. The weight and speed of the steering wheel was very good. Throttle response and the transmission was excellent, both were very quick and smooth. It had no challenge accelerating with 4 people in the car, but I didn't get to test how truly fast the car was because of that.

Quality - This is a strong point for G70. Quilted leather seats, micro-suede (whatever that means) headliner, heated / cooled seat + heated steering wheel... etc. All the materials they use are top notch. Every button press are solid, and every surfaces you touch is of high quality. Attention to detail and fit and finish is very high, no rattling of any sort. Sound deadening is very well done, barely any road noise. Engine noise is fake in the cabin, but you have the option to completely turn it off and it becomes very quiet. The seats were extremely comfortable and supportive, but it might not fit someone of larger size. The Lexicon speakers were also good for the short amount of testing. One negative is rear leg room. I am only 5'7 and even I found it to be a little tight sitting behind my 5'10 friend.

Exterior quality is also very good. Fake vents are a pet peeve of mine and this car doesn't have any. Those side blade vents are not very functional (cools engine instead of brake, but it's very minimal cooling if at all) but at least they are channeled. It has power folding mirror + puddle lamps with the Genesis logo illuminated. Full LED lights, except rear turn signals and reverse light, which was also a gripe of mine. And yes, it has fake exhaust tips.

Technology - This car is absolutely loaded for this price. It has adaptive cruise control with lane keep assist. 360 camera + blind spot monitor. Nice screen for the gauge. The infotainment screen is a touch only, which was annoying. At least all the usual stuff has a physical button to control. The heads up display shows speed, speed limit of the current street, arrows directing you if you have location set, blind spot warning, and a little steering wheel with show up if lane keep assist is currently active. The two things I thought should also show is your current gear, and a rev meter. Android auto + Apple car play. Wireless charging dock. There wasn't anything I can think of that I wish it had.

Final Thoughts - I have driven many cars that are better 'drivers car' (Golf R, GTI, STI, Cooper S, M235i, Miata, B8 S4, E92 M3, F10 M5, my modded G... etc), but I don't think anything has a more complete package for 58k CAD. It has more tech and features than any of its competitors (correct me if I am wrong), the interior quality top of its class IMO, and with 370hp + 375 lb-ft torque it really is no slouch.

If you are looking to upgrade to something with more luxury features and tech, comfort, and upgrade in power, then this car might be perfect for you. But if you are looking a more driver focused experience, then stick with the G and keep looking.

The following 3 users liked this post by 7Head:
4DRZ (05-15-2018), Rochester (05-13-2018), woofersus (05-13-2018)

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?