G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 04:39 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Yup, modding a car is never a risk free proposition. But it is a risk worth taking in my opinion.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:53 PM
Bionicman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
There is still a risk modding a car even if you have a mod friendly dealer/mechanic.

Blow an engine or transmission, and the manufacturer is likely to want root cause of the failure prior to footing thousands of dollars of warranty work. There are almost always tell tale signs a car has been tuned/modded.

If you're really tight with the dealer, you might get a good will replacement, but IMO it's not a risk free proposition.
True, it's not risk free, particularly if your inside man switches jobs. That said, things definitely went my way when I owned my Legacy GT. I actually had a short block replaced (bad Cobb OTS tune provided WAY too much boost and blew it up), and the 2nd owner of the car had the torque converter replaced right before the factory warranty expired due to premature wear. (tons of extra torque will have that effect)

I was one of the unlucky customers that blew up an engine due to Cobb claiming that their OTS tune would work in conjunction with their SF intake. It was a pretty cold night the evening that I had the intake, Cobb DP, and Cobb tune flashed on, and the very first WOT run produced a boost level over 25psi . . . on an 18psi map. The motor only had 3,500 miles on it and was toast on that one run. Once the short block was replaced under warranty I ended up going with a modified stock downpipe, the SF intake, and a custom open-source tune. The car is still owned by a friend of mine (2nd owner) and it's been 100% reliable to 85k miles. (with exception of the torque converter that was replaced under warranty) If modifications are fairly conservative and done RIGHT, they can be rather reliable long term.

I have enough experience working in RomRaider to differentiate between a conservative tune and one that's on the ragged edge. With the RDX I definitely wouldn't be looking to push the envelope. By the time I get around to tinkering with an RDX, I'm sure that plenty of people will have pushed the envelope a little too far and damaged the 2.0T in the Civic R / Accord / RDX or blown up the 10AT, which should give me a pretty good idea of what it can handle. The 10AT is definitely going to be the weak link in tuning the RDX, I can tell you that right off the bat. It'll be entertaining to watch others experiment over the next couple years and see what's possible.

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Yup, modding a car is never a risk free proposition. But it is a risk worth taking in my opinion.
In most circumstances, I would have to agree.

Last edited by Bionicman; 04-20-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:28 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
I hate the top heavy, ponderous body roll of SUVs and will gladly sacrifice marginally better visibility for the improved handling, acceleration and braking.
You <> Bionicman

I too prefer a sedan's dynamics to a crossover... but for a family car, do dynamics really matter? How hard are you driving with your family in tow? And with stroller/car aged kids the extra room and cargo capacity is clutch. We have a 4 month old and my wife sits behind me to keep her calm. With that + all her gear (stroller, diaper bag), the space comes in handy for **** like grocery shopping. Could we load up the G? Probably but the SUV is way easier.

Plus something like the SQ5 is not bad to drive. No G on coilovers but then neither is a stock Accord. I couldn't daily a crossover but I'd love wifey to have something like an SQ5 or X3 M40i.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:51 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by future62
You <> Bionicman

I too prefer a sedan's dynamics to a crossover... but for a family car, do dynamics really matter? How hard are you driving with your family in tow? And with stroller/car aged kids the extra room and cargo capacity is clutch. We have a 4 month old and my wife sits behind me to keep her calm. With that + all her gear (stroller, diaper bag), the space comes in handy for **** like grocery shopping. Could we load up the G? Probably but the SUV is way easier.

Plus something like the SQ5 is not bad to drive. No G on coilovers but then neither is a stock Accord. I couldn't daily a crossover but I'd love wifey to have something like an SQ5 or X3 M40i.
We did the whole 7 passenger SUV thing (MDX and Explorer Sport) when the kids were little. Now that we've given away our strollers, that extra space isn't necessary.

It doesn't even require driving hard to appreciate the differences. I've done the whole Charlotte-Orlando drive in the MDX, Ex, and recently the Accord, and while I kinda miss the stage 1 twin turbo V6, the car was more enjoyable to drive at highway speeds. Averaged 29.2 mpg at average speed of 78

My wife thought she would hate going from a SUV to a car, but now she says she will never go back
Old 04-21-2018, 10:06 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
My other half is in the SUV market, both for space and winter capability. Your needs and wants definitely determine the market you enter. Plus she couldn’t give a sh** about performance... more of the convenience, amenities and tech.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:10 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Nico-derm
My other half is in the SUV market, both for space and winter capability. Your needs and wants definitely determine the market you enter. Plus she couldn’t give a sh** about performance... more of the convenience, amenities and tech.
My wife is coming around and starting to appreciate performance a lot more. She was spoiled by the Explorer's power. I'd like to move her up to a Lexus GS350 next. You can have your cake and eat it too with regards to performance, tech and amenities, but there is obviously compromises at just about every budget point.

It certainly helps that wintery weather isn't a consideration for us.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:07 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
You can have your cake and eat it too with regards to performance, tech and amenities, but there is obviously compromises at just about every budget point.
Fully agree, and I’ll always be on one shoulder keeping “fun of the drive” in the picture
Old 04-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Finally had a chance to drive a STI this weekend. With the kids at my parents for a sleepover, the wife and I went to CarMax and I drove a 2017 STI with 10K.

Unfortunately it wasn’t a long test drive, and my request to get out on the expressway was vetoed and instead the salesman told me I could get it up to speed on backroads lol.

I really liked the steering. Good turn in, nice and weighty, and just like the sport steering on the G, it had great feedback. The wheel itself is nice and thick, with large 10-2 palm swells and a flat bottom.

Seats were firm and bolstering was seemingly on par with my sport seats. My wife thought the seats were firmer. I’d definitely want the Limited and the power seat/lumbar.

I was surprised how well the car handled, specifically the lack of body roll, which is something I’m sensitive to since it’s so well controlled in my car. I went over some bad roads and while stiff, I think the suspension is actually a bit more compliant than my Swift/Koni combination. It’s certainly something I could live with.

I was a little disappointed in the shifter, but then again, I’m comparing my STS equipped car to a stock shifter. I’d imagine a STS would solve that complaint.

Everything I’ve read prepared me for a peaky power delivery and a bunch of turbo lag. But it’s not like the VQ isn’t peaky, so I was presently surprised. As long as the revs were above 3500 the car had plenty of power. I think the G37 is quicker, but it could be the AWD smoothing out the power delivery. The exhaust sounded great for stock. I looked underneath to confirm it was actually the stock exhaust lol. I’d be happy with power level.

The interior definitely isn’t as nice as the G37, but there are a couple pluses. First, there are real, functional cupholders in the center console, and I fit a large 33.x ounce Smart Water bottle in door mounted cupholder. The rear seats also have map pockets/cupholders molded in the doors, which my kids would love.

The STI felt less cockpit like than the G, but I think that is more to do with the greater interior volume—I think the STI is 5-6 cubic feet larger inside. There was enough leg room in the back for the 6’ salesman to fit comfortably.

The test drive largely confirmed my plan to move on to a STI summer 2019.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Fair review, Lego.

One of my best friends had a new STi for four or five years, before going Tesla. My most significant impression was that the car was visceral, almost brutal, with simply heroic grip out of the hole. However, he had the OEM Sport Exhaust option on the car, which really makes it come alive with nasty, wonderful sounds.

The interior, other than the sport seats, seemed exactly what you would expect from a Subaru Impreza. Which is to say... a Subaru Impreza. The exterior is undeniably tacky, although people will overlook that judgement with rationale about how it is an amazing sport sedan, and a true drivers car. It's a reasonable rationale, because it's a hell of a car.

There's a certain classiness, a maturity, that's missing from the Subaru. As long as you're OK with that, there's a lot of win to be had.

Meh. Opinions are subjective by nature. That choice feels a little mid-lifey to me, buddy.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:44 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
The interior, other than the sport seats, seemed exactly what you would expect from a Subaru Impreza. Which is to say... a Subaru Impreza. The exterior is undeniably tacky, although people will overlook that with rationale about how it is an amazing sport sedan, and a true drivers car. It's a reasonable rationale.
Perfect summary of the interior, Rochester. On the plus side, the STI specific bits are nice--seats, steering wheel, alactara trim etc, but the rest is rooted in an economy car. The $40K price tag is paying for go fast hardware, not a luxury interior

The 2018 refresh did bring a revised interior with some minor quality improvements and increased sound insulation.

I think a subtle color like white or ice silver, with the wing delete, minimizes the tacky exterior, or at least I've convinced myself of that
Old 04-23-2018, 10:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Perfect summary of the interior, Rochester. On the plus side, the STI specific bits are nice--seats, steering wheel, alactara trim etc, but the rest is rooted in an economy car. The $40K price tag is paying for go fast hardware, not a luxury interior

The 2018 refresh did bring a revised interior with some minor quality improvements.

I think a subtle color like white or ice silver, with the wing delete, minimizes the tacky exterior, or at least I've convinced myself of that
Embarrassing wing delete... OMG, yes. 100% yes.

And yes, the current model is an improvement over the previous. Not a sea change, but a change for the better anyway.

You know, even if you tire of it after a few years (and I think you will), it's still time well spent if you enjoy it, regardless of the rationale. And yes, pearl white classes up any car.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

This past weekend, I was driving around town and passed the empty parking lot of this restaurant by the Bay, noticing this Jaguar F-Type Coupe S (in pearl white) sitting there all alone. I swung back around, pulled in and circled it a few times, taking it all in, slowly. Again.

I'm still in love with the design. The car is a freaking work of art, from every possible angle. But for the very first time I found myself thinking, damn that's low and awkward for an old guy. And I'm rapidly becoming an old guy. Hmmm.

Drove away feeling kind of melancholy. Particularly in the context of getting two teenagers through college, which is something I've always known was going to happen, but until that time actually comes about, you really don't know how your priorities are going to change.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:59 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester

You know, even if you tire of it after a few years (and I think you will), it's still time well spent if you enjoy it, regardless of the rationale. And yes, pearl white classes up any car.
You might be right, but alternatives in the 6MT-RWD/AWD-4 door category are slim. At least I wont take a huge hit on depreciation, as the STI holds its value.

Current plan would be to pick up a dedicated toy car in 2023 after paying off the STI and keep the Subaru as a "beater". By then the kids will be 10 and 12, I'll hopefully be out of booster seats, and I can reclaim the 3rd garage spot from bikes, wagons and kids toys

But to your other point, by then I might be too old to want to deal with the low slung sports car too.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:59 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Bro we gotta do comparison rides before you sell.

I couldn't do the interior comparison but it sounds like a good fit for what you want. If you are going new... WAIT.... I have a strong hunch Subaru is going to put the new FA24 in the WRX and STI. Would be great if they took the snail off and put a ~220HP NA version in the BRZ too.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:11 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by future62
Bro we gotta do comparison rides before you sell.

I couldn't do the interior comparison but it sounds like a good fit for what you want. If you are going new... WAIT.... I have a strong hunch Subaru is going to put the new FA24 in the WRX and STI. Would be great if they took the snail off and put a ~220HP NA version in the BRZ too.
Yeah, we have to meet up for a comparison, but ya'll are stuck with me for at least another year

I'm almost positive the next gen STI will get a new engine, but it's not rumored until 2020-2021, and I wouldn't want the first year of a newly designed car/motor. That pushes me out further than I'd like. I like that the STI is still very much an analog car. I really don't care about collision mitigation, apple car play, electric steering, blah blah blah, so there is a bit of a concern as to how the next WRX/STI play out. With the Evo gone, not really much to compete with the STI, Subaru could have a** the redesign and the fans would still buy it, because there's no alternative.

Good news is that the STI holds it's value, so if I wanted to jump ship in a few years I wouldn't get hit as hard for depreciation.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?