G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 03:18 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Bionicman
FWD, 6MT, and a sedan are all things that I do NOT want in my next vehicle. I'm looking for an SUV with AWD, AT w/ paddle shifters, and some go. The SQ5 fits the bill perfectly, but the price and maintenance are hard to swallow. I'm also a Honda fan at heart, my Accord EX-L V6 coupe was a great car.
I'm a Honda fan too--wifey had an 11 MDX and now a 17 Accord Touring. The V6-6AT is one sweet combo

The AWD system in the current RDX isn't that great--it's not the SH-AWD. The RDX-Accord share a lot of the same bits and pieces. I don't get the SUV thing when you could get a dynamically superior car that handles better, is more fuel efficient and quicker
Old 04-19-2018, 03:27 PM
Bionicman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
The AWD system in the current RDX isn't that great--it's not the SH-AWD. The RDX-Accord share a lot of the same bits and pieces.
The 2019 RDX regains SH-AWD.

I don't get the SUV thing when you could get a dynamically superior car that handles better, is more fuel efficient and quicker
Haha, it's called poor highway visibility in a sedan and having a family. The 2019 RDX also has excellent styling inside and out, the 10th Gen Accord does not . . . at all. Despite being ugly, the most important bone to pick with the Accord is FWD. FWD sucks, period. It doesn't matter how much power you have if you can't put it down. The bone stock RDX will likely be quicker 0-60 than the Accord, and with even a mild tune it will flat out destroy it.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:39 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Haha, it's called poor highway visibility in a sedan and having a family. The 2019 RDX also has excellent styling inside and out, the 10th Gen Accord does not . . . at all.
I fit my family of 4 and all their stuff into the Accord for a 1300 mile road trip to Disney 2 weeks ago, everyone was comfy and had plenty of room

I hate the top heavy, ponderous body roll of SUVs and will gladly sacrifice marginally better visibility for the improved handling, acceleration and braking.

We cross shopped the RDX and TL-SH AWD. Really wanted to like the TL because of the more powerful engine, AWD, and better stereo, but it was really disappointing. The 9 speed transmission seemed jerky and slow to respond, and it didn't seem any more powerful. Hopefully the new 10 speed is more like the old 6 speed than 9 speed.

The RDX just wasn't impressive, and felt cheap. Even with the 2.0 turbo, it will probably struggle to break 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. I'd certainly check out the new RDX for wifey, but I think the 2.0T Accord Touring would still win out for us.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:00 PM
Bionicman
Registered Member

I fit my family of 4 and all their stuff into the Accord for a 1300 mile road trip to Disney 2 weeks ago, everyone was comfy and had plenty of room

I hate the top heavy, ponderous body roll of SUVs and will gladly sacrifice marginally better visibility for the improved handling, acceleration and braking.

We cross shopped the RDX and TL-SH AWD. Really wanted to like the TL because of the more powerful engine, AWD, and better stereo, but it was really disappointing. The 9 speed transmission seemed jerky and slow to respond, and it didn't seem any more powerful. Hopefully the new 10 speed is more like the old 6 speed than 9 speed.

The RDX just wasn't impressive, and felt cheap. Even with the 2.0 turbo, it will probably struggle to break 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. I'd certainly check out the new RDX for wifey, but I think the 2.0T Accord Touring would still win out for us.
Lol, you must pack awfully light. We're talking about the RDX, not an Expedition that DOES have ponderous body roll. I'm sure the 2019 RDX will be below 6 seconds 0-60 and it'll be quicker to 60 than the Accord out in the real world. In damp / wet / snow conditions, the Accord has zero chance of keeping up. Even dry, I'd bet money that the '19 RDX is at least as quick. I'd also be surprised if the '19 RDX doesn't outhandle the Accord with the A-Spec package. Generally that includes firmer spring rates, larger sway bars, etc.

Personally, what I really care about is what the performance capabilities are with a little tweaking. With $2k in parts and tuning, the '19 RDX will easily be a sub 5 second vehicle in the dry, and close to that in the wet. That's simply not possible with the Accord.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:28 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Lol, you must pack awfully light.
A 48 quart wheeled cooler, 5 large carry on bags, 2 backpacks, 2 pillows and assorted loose stuff. I'm efficient

We're talking about the RDX, not an Expedition that DOES have ponderous body roll. I'm sure the 2019 RDX will be below 6 seconds 0-60 and it'll be quicker to 60 than the Accord out in the real world. In damp / wet / snow conditions, the Accord has zero chance of keeping up. Even dry, I'd bet money that the '19 RDX is at least as quick. I'd also be surprised if the '19 RDX doesn't outhandle the Accord with the A-Spec package. Generally that includes firmer spring rates, larger sway bars, etc.

Personally, what I really care about is what the performance capabilities are with a little tweaking. With $2k in parts and tuning, the '19 RDX will easily be a sub 5 second vehicle in the dry, and close to that in the wet. That's simply not possible with the Accord.
The V6 Accord is faster than the V6 RDX. Same engine, same transmission.

The 2.0T Accord is barely faster than the V6 Accord.

With the current V6 RDX in the 6.2 range, and the Accord 2.0 at 5.5, do you really think the RDX is going to shave more than a couple 10ths of a second off the 0-60? Going to the 2.0T only improved the Accords time by .2

If that's the car you want, more power to you, but you're not going to get sub 5 seconds
Old 04-19-2018, 05:27 PM
Bionicman
Registered Member

The V6 Accord is faster than the V6 RDX. Same engine, same transmission.

The 2.0T Accord is barely faster than the V6 Accord.

With the current V6 RDX in the 6.2 range, and the Accord 2.0 at 5.5, do you really think the RDX is going to shave more than a couple 10ths of a second off the 0-60? Going to the 2.0T only improved the Accords time by .2

If that's the car you want, more power to you, but you're not going to get sub 5 seconds
Well, you just illustrated your tuning ignorance. Plenty of 1st gen RDX's run under 5 seconds with just an intake and a tune. With an intake, catted downpipe, and a tune the '19 RDX will easily run under 5 seconds. Hell, this is a regular dude, not a test driver, and he ran 13.68 with his 1st Gen and nothing more than an intake, throttle body, and a tune. (no exhaust) . . .

Back in 2008 I bought a brand new Subaru Legacy GT Limited 5AT and it was a dog bone stock . . . 5.7sec 0-60. With nothing more than a Cobb intake, stock downpipe with the first cat gutted out, and a tune it ran under 4.5secs 0-60. A good tune can take a turbocharged vehicle from zero to hero as fast as it takes to flash on a new tune, I know from experience.

And as far as the 0-60 time for the 2.0T Accord, the times are all over the place. Put it on a real road and you'll be lucky to put down a time anywhere near 6 seconds, add a damp surface and you'll just be sitting there spinning. Launching a FWD car with any amount of power is a royal PITA, I know, I owned a V6 Accord.

For the record, these were the published 0-60 times for the 2.0T Accord as run on a clean dry track with a test driver:
6.5 / 14.8@100 Motor Week (their track best simulates a typical road)
6.2 / 14.8 @96.2 Motor Trend
6.1 / 14.7@98 Car and Driver
5.7 / 14.3 @99.3 Motor Trend
5.5 / 14.1 @1.0 Car and Driver
Old 04-19-2018, 06:08 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Lol, enjoy your flappy paddle SUV.

The 2019 is going to be far more like the current gen than than the first gen, and it will be slower than the Accord.

I’ve had a tuned Explorer Sport as well as a LGT, although mine was a 6mt, I’m familiar with what tuning can do.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:10 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by micafd3s
Wow, those are beautiful cars! Every once in a while I get the itch to look for a clean RX-7, but they are tough to find, especially reasonably priced.

I was initially looking at the Audi SQ5, but this package would have similar performance for less money and likely be more reliable.
These seem to depreciate nicely if you are looking for used. We have 2 new SQ5's at my store for $66k and one that is 2 years old with 40k miles and it is only $42k. Not bad for an Audi as the S4 with the same motor still goes for a lot on the used car market.
The following users liked this post:
micafd3s (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 06:50 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Wow, those are beautiful cars! Every once in a while I get the itch to look for a clean RX-7, but they are tough to find, especially reasonably priced
I’ve somewhat recently looked up all the 90s Japanese sports cars and finding one in good shape is tough. It’s something that in hindsight, I regret buying a F-Body back in 2001, when I still could have found a reasonably priced 300ZX, RX7, VR4 etc.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:14 AM
Bionicman
Registered Member

Lol, enjoy your flappy paddle SUV.
Thanks, I believe I will. In fact, I'll chuckle and think of you every time I blow the doors off of a cocky Accord owner. Hondata already released a tuning kit for the Civic Type R that adds 47HP and 72LB-FT on 93 octane with nothing more than a flash. Tunes for the RDX won't be more than 6-12 months behind the release of the vehicle.

Oh, and you're welcome for the free tuning education.

These seem to depreciate nicely if you are looking for used. We have 2 new SQ5's at my store for $66k and one that is 2 years old with 40k miles and it is only $42k. Not bad for an Audi as the S4 with the same motor still goes for a lot on the used car market.
True, I've actually looked at a couple lightly used SQ5's, very nice vehicles. That said, once you add an extended warranty, you're well into brand new RDX territory. Have you driven both the SC SQ5 as well as the new turbo SQ5? I'm curious to hear the opinion of someone that has driven both.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I’ve somewhat recently looked up all the 90s Japanese sports cars and finding one in good shape is tough. It’s something that in hindsight, I regret buying a F-Body back in 2001, when I still could have found a reasonably priced 300ZX, RX7, VR4 etc.
You and me both. I keep toying around with the idea of an R33 Skyline GT-R when they become legal in the U.S. late next year. Then logic sets in and I realize that it is still a cool car, but 25 year old technology. A new STI could probably outperform it in just about every category while being safer with more technology and probably last a lot longer too.

True, I've actually looked at a couple lightly used SQ5's, very nice vehicles. That said, once you add an extended warranty, you're well into brand new RDX territory. Have you driven both the SC SQ5 as well as the new turbo SQ5? I'm curious to hear the opinion of someone that has driven both.
No, I have not driven the turbo yet, but I would take a twin scroll turbo over a supercharger any day. Especially if you are considering a tune. I am sure apr will be all over that soon.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:19 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

You and me both. I keep toying around with the idea of an R33 Skyline GT-R when they become legal in the U.S. late next year. Then logic sets in and I realize that it is still a cool car, but 25 year old technology. A new STI could probably outperform it in just about every category while being safer with more technology and probably last a lot longer too.
You don't realize how far cars have came until you drive a 20 year old car. Memory is better than the reality.

I'm going to try and test drive a STI tomorrow to confirm if it's at the top of my list or not. Most the dealerships around here keep them in the showroom and don't seem to want to allow a test drive.

https://www.carmax.com/car/15835950

This popped up at my local CarMax. I have no intention of buying it, but I want to get a feel for it. Wifey even wants to come
Old 04-20-2018, 03:26 PM
Bionicman
Registered Member

No, I have not driven the turbo yet, but I would take a twin scroll turbo over a supercharger any day. Especially if you are considering a tune. I am sure apr will be all over that soon.
I think the factory power out of the SQ5 would be sufficient for my needs, but more power is always welcome. That said, I don't have an Audi mechanic that would overlook aftermarket goodies. I have a good friend that's been a mechanic at Acura for quite a while, so I could get away with running mods on an RDX.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:43 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

You don't realize how far cars have came until you drive a 20 year old car. Memory is better than the reality.

I'm going to try and test drive a STI tomorrow to confirm if it's at the top of my list or not. Most the dealerships around here keep them in the showroom and don't seem to want to allow a test drive.

https://www.carmax.com/car/15835950

This popped up at my local CarMax. I have no intention of buying it, but I want to get a feel for it. Wifey even wants to come
Very true how fast cars have become. I remember everyone drooling all over the Acura NSX when it came out. It only had 270 hp. I can get that out of a hum drum Nissan Altima now.

I think the factory power out of the SQ5 would be sufficient for my needs, but more power is always welcome. That said, I don't have an Audi mechanic that would overlook aftermarket goodies. I have a good friend that's been a mechanic at Acura for quite a while, so I could get away with running mods on an RDX.
Well, there is your answer. Tuning any SUV will be a lot easier with a mechanic friend nearby as the suv's usually don't have very good tuning support.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:55 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

There is still a risk modding a car even if you have a mod friendly dealer/mechanic.

Blow an engine or transmission, and the manufacturer is likely to want root cause of the failure prior to footing thousands of dollars of warranty work. There are almost always tell tale signs a car has been tuned/modded.

If you're really tight with the dealer, you might get a good will replacement, but IMO it's not a risk free proposition.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?