G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 10:32 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
I finally had the chance to try out carplay (on a rental car) and it wasnt that great imo. Spotify works well but you can't even use google maps on the screen. only apple maps. WTF?

Android auto does work pretty well though, but I dont like how it locks your phone.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
I finally had the chance to try out carplay (on a rental car) and it wasnt that great imo. Spotify works well but you can't even use google maps on the screen. only apple maps. WTF?

Android auto does work pretty well though, but I dont like how it locks your phone.
I think there is a hack to run Google Maps on CarPlay.

At first I thought CarPlay and Android Auto were alike. But, like you say and from what I have read recently they aren't as much alike as I originally thought. But, it seems both are getting better.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:18 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
Spotted a new TLX in whatever they call the sport trim (Type S?) and it looked pretty sharp in that electric blue color. Big gunmetal wheels, aero package, etc.

But turns out it's got an NA V6 with 290 hp, so Q50>TLX

Back in 2012 I was real close to buying a CPO 2008 TL-S with 6MT....
Old 04-02-2018, 11:22 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
We drove a TLX SH-AWD and I was unimpressed. I really wanted to like it, especially because of the AWD, bigger more powerful V6 and extra luxury features, but I thought the transmission was indecisive and clunky, and it didn’t feel any more powerful than the Accord with the V6.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:38 AM
7Head
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
We drove a TLX SH-AWD and I was unimpressed. I really wanted to like it, especially because of the AWD, bigger more powerful V6 and extra luxury features, but I thought the transmission was indecisive and clunky, and it didn’t feel any more powerful than the Accord with the V6.
Did you drive the new A-Spec version? I have heard they made lots of improvement in driving dynamics compared to the older version, but I can't stand the front grill and interior
Old 04-03-2018, 08:26 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
New one has a ZF 9 speed which people don't seem to mind in the TLX. I'm lukewarm on it- seems like a lateral move from the G, with the same weird infotainment situation as the Q. I am a huge fan of its exterior though.

There's talk of a twin turbo V6 coming to Acura which could be interesting in a straight line, but will make it a nose heavy pig in the corners.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:30 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by future62
New one has a ZF 9 speed which people don't seem to mind in the TLX. I'm lukewarm on it- seems like a lateral move from the G, with the same weird infotainment situation as the Q. I am a huge fan of its exterior though.

There's talk of a twin turbo V6 coming to Acura which could be interesting in a straight line, but will make it a nose heavy pig in the corners.
The one we drove was a 9 speed, and I much preferred the 6 speed auto.

My wife previously had a MDX, and now has an Accord, both the V6-6at combo, which I think is a fantastic setup.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by future62
Yea, Spotify and Waze are enough for me to want Android Auto/Apple Carplay. I use those all the time. I really don't understand why manufacturers even bother developing their own infotainment operating systems; it's a complete waste of time and they are obsolete almost instantly.
You should be able to play aps like Spotify, Pandora, iheart radio, etc. through the bluetooth audio. Did Waze come up for you in Android Auto or Apple Carplay?
Old 04-03-2018, 03:03 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
You should be able to play aps like Spotify, Pandora, iheart radio, etc. through the bluetooth audio. Did Waze come up for you in Android Auto or Apple Carplay?
Yes that is what I do now. It's just a pain to try to use the controls on the tiny phone screen at speed. AA/AC redesign the controls for easy use on the road on the much bigger screen. I haven't used either myself but I've seen demos. I don't think Waze is an approved app, which is why I'd prefer screen mirroring over everything.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:31 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 320 Likes on 277 Posts
Hyundai announced pricing in Canada for the G70, the top model is about $57k CAD which is about the same as a q50 RS if I recall correctly,

Seems like they are going after G/Q owners directly
Old 04-04-2018, 10:20 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
Hyundai announced pricing in Canada for the G70, the top model is about $57k CAD which is about the same as a q50 RS if I recall correctly,

Seems like they are going after G/Q owners directly
Looks are subjective and the powertrain is competitive with a slight edge to the RS IMO; we know what it's capable of vs the newer 3.3tt. 8 speed vs the 7 speed will be an interesting comparison. LSD and bigger, better Brembos, better tires from factory. Doesn't hurt they offer free scheduled maintenance and valet scheduled pick-up...Definitely a competitor.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 320 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Looks are subjective and the powertrain is competitive with a slight edge to the RS IMO; we know what it's capable of vs the newer 3.3tt. 8 speed vs the 7 speed will be an interesting comparison. LSD and bigger, better Brembos, better tires from factory. Doesn't hurt they offer free scheduled maintenance and valet scheduled pick-up...Definitely a competitor.
good points. I feel like the entire line up is trying to mimic the Q50...

For me the advantage is to the G70 with the LSD. this is not applicable to everyone but for me, I hated the open diff on my G and since I put an LSD in its been so much better I just dont feel like a car without one will be as fun to drive ...maybe the aftermarket for the q's will deal with this...

The 8speed may be an advantage too but it remains to be seen as its not a ZF (that i know of) and I already am not a huge fan of the infiniti 7at

Very good point on the engine though, I don't know that much about the Hyundai engine and if its gonna be a weak link in the future.

I think the biggest negative of the Hyundai for me is that I like the Infiniti's because they are relatively conservative in styling but still sporty and age well...up until now anyways, Hyundais age terribly..maybe with the genesis brand that will change
Old 04-04-2018, 12:15 PM
7Head
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
good points. I feel like the entire line up is trying to mimic the Q50...

For me the advantage is to the G70 with the LSD. this is not applicable to everyone but for me, I hated the open diff on my G and since I put an LSD in its been so much better I just dont feel like a car without one will be as fun to drive ...maybe the aftermarket for the q's will deal with this...

The 8speed may be an advantage too but it remains to be seen as its not a ZF (that i know of) and I already am not a huge fan of the infiniti 7at

Very good point on the engine though, I don't know that much about the Hyundai engine and if its gonna be a weak link in the future.

I think the biggest negative of the Hyundai for me is that I like the Infiniti's because they are relatively conservative in styling but still sporty and age well...up until now anyways, Hyundais age terribly..maybe with the genesis brand that will change
I will be testing driving one soon as it could be my friends future car. I looked at it in detail at a car show and I have to say I was really impressed, with both the exterior and interior quality. I wasn't convinced when the pictures first came out but seeing it in real life changed my view.

There are minor details that I don't like, such as the head light LEDs are not a solid line, while the rear ones are. Also the car sits pretty high. Too much aluminum at the gear shift area.

But the pros are much more. Alcantara (fake?) headliner, heads up display, minimal hard plastic, warranty, really quite cabin (at a car show anyway), etc...

The most important thing of course will be the driving dynamics. I have drove a Q60 RS before and hated the steering feel. So as long as the G70 provide a good communicative drive, I can see it winning over some enthusiast buyers. Will comment on this again as soon as I test drive one
Old 04-05-2018, 12:06 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ i pre-ordered a G70 in RWD 6MT trim. this was mainly to lock in promotional rates/rebates, not necessarily to lock in my buy order. i have made it clear to my local "genesis experience manager" that i have several reservations of this new model and (somewhat) new brand from a residual point of view, even if i am not immediately concerned with resale values. the deposit is fully refundable, no strings.

until i drive the RWD 6MT model i also have concerns going to a 2.0T after the 3.7L VQ. most of the early G70 press coverage is on the 3.3T model which has very healthy stats. i am willing to give up some of the VQ's top-end pull if the low-end torque (~265lb-ft) of the 2.0T makes up for it. the lack of torque in the VQ has always irked me a bit - you really need 3k+ rpms for things to pick up.

i hear that Genesis will be bringing out a next-gen 2.5T engine in the G80 soon, and it would make sense for this to find it's way to the G70. with 300hp in RWD trims, if this was paired with the 6MT it would come close to a no-brainer at the value and with the perks Genesis is offering. problem is this could take a few years as part of a mid-cycle refresh.

the 6MT G70 is $45.5k CAD and this comes with all the performance bits from the 3.3t sport - LSD, Brembos, tires, suspension, fascia, etc. it is also lighter and better balanced at near 50/50 weight distribution. what i'm really hoping is that if the G70 6MT can represent a more modern take on BMW's E36 handling characteristics (the 3 series never had overwhelming power) it could be a really nice overall value package.

free maintenance for 5 years, 'genesis at home' perks (although i do not like the idea of leaving my car in the hands of someone else for the entire service pick-up / drop off), ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, etc all sound OK to me. it's worth a drive for sure.

i agree it is aimed squarely at the entry-level luxury market, namely the Q50 and Acura, as well as A4 and 3-series. i sat in the G70 at the Vancity auto show last weekend and the G70 interior materials were very nice, as was the contrast-stitched Nappa leather seats and dash and door panels. the car was getting lots of attention (but not as much as the Stinger) and looked great in blue with the 19" sport wheels and red Brembos.

rear seat room would be OK for 2, but it was the foot space that was really cramped. you can't really fit any feet under the front seats. i rarely have back seat passengers, which is why i'm actually looking at the M240 as a potential next vehicle. the G70 trunk was also quite shallow. 2 sets of golf clubs, maybe 3.

price range was from $42k - $57.5k CAD. seems we are getting aggressive pricing up here.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:44 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
canucklehead- I am curious to hear your thoughts of this car and I will be driving one myself soon enough here at work since we carry Genesis. The nice thing about a turbo is that it should be easy to tune for big gains if there is any aftermarket support.

It's too bad that Genesis is another company that pairs the stick shift with their weakest engine. Maybe that will change, but that seems to be the trend lately- bring out cool features like a 6spd. manual or AWD, but pair it with the least powerful motor.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?