G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 09:27 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by future62
Here's a real bummer. The next 3 series won't be available with RWD OR a stickshift with the 6 banger. Hopefully the 2 series will carry that torch.
Seriously? I know that was speculated, but not 100%.

I want another 5-6 years in a MT. I’m going to be forced into a new STI or blue w the budget on a low mileage CPO ATS-V or M3.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Seriously? I know that was speculated, but not 100%.

I want another 5-6 years in a MT. I’m going to be forced into a new STI or blue w the budget on a low mileage CPO ATS-V or M3.
Sounds like you've been reading this thread a while- I think those are my top 3 picks.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:09 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Sounds like you've been reading this thread a while- I think those are my top 3 picks.
What sucks is the options are dwindling.

The new 3 will be out soon, which leaves a 2018-19 M3, or the ATS-V, which is a needle in the haystack find for a 4 door 6mt. Or a last year production STI.

I’m leaning STI, and 4 years later, add a 3rd car, probably a mustang or Camaro oz Cayman. I’m close to spousal support for this plan
Old 03-29-2018, 11:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
How about a CTS-V Coupe? Sometimes I think it's so weird looking that it's actually cool. Still beaten with a pimp cane, but unique nonetheless.

Five years used for $35k or so.

Have you seen the new Bullet? Very appealing Stang, that car.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-29-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:47 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
How about a CTS-V Coupe? Sometimes I think it's so weird looking that it's actually cool. Still beaten with a pimp cane, but unique nonetheless.

Digging that green
Old 03-30-2018, 01:15 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
If you can live with 2 doors there are a lot of options. Me and 3 5'9"-6' friends all fit in various seats in a 2 series, and I feel like a Rustang can be livable with front facing kids. My only gripe with a lot of coupes is they are as big as the G, with engines as big or even smaller than the VQ, with basically no back seat.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:52 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Since Mazda broke my heart, I'm interested in what the new Honda Accord 2.0t will be capable of. Variation of the CTR motor, Honda Gear box and reliability...could be a possibility if I stayed in a Sedan. Possibly the CTS-V as Rochester mentioned. More than enough there to have fun; possibly any 2011-2015 performance sedan / coupe really. You could grab a Toyota/Honda/Nissan beater in the event said performance car catches the fix/ maintenance bug. Something like a 2011 M3 is another example. There's one for <$40k with only 25k miles within 50 miles of me.

Edit: I'm also going to add that despite hating hatchbacks for most of my teen-young adult life, the R is growing on me everyday.

Last edited by RMB5190; 03-30-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:19 AM
Iilac
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Since Mazda broke my heart, I'm interested in what the new Honda Accord 2.0t will be capable of. Variation of the CTR motor, Honda Gear box and reliability...could be a possibility if I stayed in a Sedan. Possibly the CTS-V as Rochester mentioned. More than enough there to have fun; possibly any 2011-2015 performance sedan / coupe really. You could grab a Toyota/Honda/Nissan beater in the event said performance car catches the fix/ maintenance bug. Something like a 2011 M3 is another example. There's one for <$40k with only 25k miles within 50 miles of me.

Edit: I'm also going to add that despite hating hatchbacks for most of my teen-young adult life, the R is growing on me everyday.

Felt the same way as you did. Not sure if you are referencing the golf r or CTR but I didn't have any interest at all when the CTR was introduced but it just grew on me until I wanted one. No doubt, the G is a better looking vehicle in my eyes but performance wise, the CTR is better. i plan to sell it as I don't have the garage space for it.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:24 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
What sucks is the options are dwindling.

The new 3 will be out soon, which leaves a 2018-19 M3, or the ATS-V, which is a needle in the haystack find for a 4 door 6mt. Or a last year production STI.

I’m leaning STI, and 4 years later, add a 3rd car, probably a mustang or Camaro oz Cayman. I’m close to spousal support for this plan
So true that the options are getting smaller. There are always seems to be about 5-6 ATS-V stick sedans out there, but not many with the performance data recorder and alcantara wheel and shifter that I want. Even fewer in the bright red I like.

I am really hoping the new STI is sweet. I had this list of future cars I was considering that all turned out to be disappointing in one way or the other or non-existant- new Golf R, Focus RS, RS3, Civic Type R, Nismo Sentra, S3, Maxima, Speed3, RX-8, Nissan Z.

Haha on the spousal support. I am fortunate in that I made most of my money before I got married so she doesn't really get a say in that, but I am so damn frugal that I struggle to talk myself into spending the money to get the car I keep going back to- used GT-R. I am still working on the G and I like the car so I have trouble justifying a change. This is odd for me as my last 5 or 6 cars all lasted less than 2 years before I changed them out for something else.

Originally Posted by Rochester

A co-worker of mine has a CTS-V coupe. I must be getting old because that car's styling just doesn't appeal to me. I think I like the sleeper look of the sedan better. But if we start talking about coupes, that opens up the door to a whole new world of possibilities. I saw the Bullet at the Milwaukee Auto Show last month. Not bad.

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Something like a 2011 M3 is another example. There's one for <$40k with only 25k miles within 50 miles of me.

Be careful with those. You typically need to replace the rod bearings. They also have very similar acceleration to our cars ie. no torque. If you track it you may be disappointed in the brakes compared to the Infiniti Akebonos.

I think I am getting old because I grew up on GTI's and loved the R32's and Golf R's, but now those VW hatchbacks all seem to look like roller skates to me.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:15 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I found this interesting: "An 8-inch color touchscreen with NissanConnect is compatible with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto." It's from a review of the Nissan Altima. (!)

Not Q50 / Q60 Infiniti? Now I know what this thread is so popular. :-(
Old 04-01-2018, 11:08 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
I found this interesting: "An 8-inch color touchscreen with NissanConnect is compatible with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto." It's from a review of the Nissan Altima. (!)

Not Q50 / Q60 Infiniti? Now I know what this thread is so popular. :-(
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are on about 1/4 of the Nissans right now. They started rolling out Apple CarPlay on all the new models about a year ago and Android Auto about 6 months ago. I am sure Infiniti is doing the same.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:22 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are on about 1/4 of the Nissans right now. They started rolling out Apple CarPlay on all the new models about a year ago and Android Auto about 6 months ago. I am sure Infiniti is doing the same.
Thanks 4DRZ, I'll hang in there another model year.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:57 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
Thanks 4DRZ, I'll hang in there another model year.
You could, but Apple CarPlay and Android Auto really only seem like a cool feature on base model cars because it is like getting free navigation. Even most mid level Nissans already have nav, bluetooth, bluetooth audio, and talk to text- the things most people want Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for in the first place. I would imagine those features are even more common in Infinitis. What else would you use Apple CarPlay or Andriod Auto for?
Old 04-01-2018, 08:10 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

You could, but Apple CarPlay and Android Auto really only seem like a cool feature on base model cars because it is like getting free navigation. Even most mid level Nissans already have nav, bluetooth, bluetooth audio, and talk to text- the things most people want Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for in the first place. I would imagine those features are even more common in Infinitis. What else would you use Apple CarPlay or Andriod Auto for?
Hi 4DRZ, I hear you that factory interfaces are getting better and it's a good point. Android Auto things of interest to me:
1. Google Maps / Waze.
2. Obscure music playlists control.
3. Future Android Auto software upgrades / resale.
4. Lessen dependency on factory apps / wireless contracts.
But, to be honest, I haven't given the current Infiniti offerings a fair test.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:15 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Yea, Spotify and Waze are enough for me to want Android Auto/Apple Carplay. I use those all the time. I really don't understand why manufacturers even bother developing their own infotainment operating systems; it's a complete waste of time and they are obsolete almost instantly.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?