G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 08:10 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I saw this article the other day about the new Nissan Z having 476hp with a twin turbo V6. I thought they would probably take the Infiniti motor and shove it in the Z about the time of their 50th anniversary. Hopefully, this rumor is true.

https://carbuzz.com/news/the-2019-ni...h-up-to-476-hp

This should debut about the same time as the new Supra. Are the 90's import super cars finally making a comeback? I sure hope so!
Old 03-23-2018, 10:45 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I saw this article the other day about the new Nissan Z having 476hp with a twin turbo V6. I thought they would probably take the Infiniti motor and shove it in the Z about the time of their 50th anniversary. Hopefully, this rumor is true.

This should debut about the same time as the new Supra. Are the 90's import super cars finally making a comeback? I sure hope so!
I read a similar article last week and the buzz was that the RS400 motor was going to be used. Nissan about to make me eat my words from earlier this month.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
That carbuzz article mentioned "power distributed to all four wheels".

IDK about you guys, but when I read that I thought Uh-oh... Bye bye, 6MT.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:02 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
I dont think they would drop the 6MT from the Z ... but you never know.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by iCrap
I dont think they would drop the 6MT from the Z ... but you never know.
For some comparison context... once the Jag F-type R went all wheel drive, they dropped the 6MT. You can only get it now in the base or S model w/RWD. You could argue it's a stretch to compare those two cars, because they're for different financial markets. Then again, on paper, there's a fair amount of similarity in overall design and power.

I'm just going to say it: 476 hp in a Z is overkill. In fact, anything over 400 peak HP in just about any normal, passenger car is overkill. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but there are diminishing returns when you build a car people can't fully utilize.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:38 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I'm just going to say it: 476 hp in a Z is overkill. In fact, anything over 400 peak HP in just about any normal, passenger car is overkill. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but there are diminishing returns when you build a car people can't fully utilize.

Agreed, and I'm sure we'll probably get flamed because of it

You can't even begin to utilize 476 hp, realistically, on the street. Don't get me wrong, it would be fun, but you're at felony level speed in 7-8 seconds. How useful is that 99% of the time?
Old 03-23-2018, 11:40 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

That carbuzz article mentioned "power distributed to all four wheels".

IDK about you guys, but when I read that I thought Uh-oh... Bye bye, 6MT.
Most high performance cars are moving toward DCT or even some of the A/T's are even faster than a manual now. Hopefully, they don't kill the 6spd. on the Z. I was surprised to see that hp number. They must have something really special planned for the next GT-R.

Here's where you and I differ. I think this depends on the weight of the car, the available grip, and at the highest hp numbers- the driver's skill. Hell, you can buy a Jeep now with 707hp?!?

I was getting onto the highway last night when I noticed a Mercedes suv glued to my bumper. Normally, I can put some distance on most cars at half throttle. He was still planted firmly to my behind so I gave it more and more throttle until finally I pulled away slightly at full throttle. I should have roughly 400hp and I could barely outrun an suv.

I forget the racer's name, but he once said something to the effect of, "When I can break the tires loose at 150mph in 6th gear- then it has enough power." I agree.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:46 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Agreed, and I'm sure we'll probably get flamed because of it

You can't even begin to utilize 476 hp, realistically, on the street. Don't get me wrong, it would be fun, but you're at felony level speed in 7-8 seconds. How useful is that 99% of the time?
Ok I get it from that perspective sort of, but you can say that about any serious sports car.

I was looking at Nissan's comparison of the Z to the Camaro and their advantages. They list hp as an advantage of the Z to the Camaro 4 cyl. The 4cyl?!?! They cannot even compare to the V6 in the Camaro, let alone the V8 or the supercharged V8. Horsepower will always be the top comparison in sports cars and unless you can substantially decrease the weight- they will need to keep adding power just to try to stay competitive.

I am also curious to see how electric vehicles start to make it into mainstream sports cars. Nissan has also teased an electric suv concept that has 4XX hp and 5XX torque. That will have insane acceleration!
Old 03-23-2018, 11:48 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Haha, good story. My stories are getting fewer the older I get and the less often I actually drive the car. I'm actually taking it out in about 10 minutes, and it feels like an event. IDK if that's cool or that's sad.

I think it's healthy to know the limitations of a car, and not have those limitations so far out of normal reach that you don't know how to handle them. That said, I know that while my modded 6MT Sedan is vastly more capable than 98% of the cars on the road, its bark is way worse than its bite.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:00 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 320 Likes on 277 Posts
I agree with the sentiment that it depends on the weight of the car for how much power is "needed".... in a G/Z type car anything between 4-500hp would be nice, but I wouldn't care if it was only 350hp if they upped the usable torque numbers to 400-500ft/lbs available after 1800 RPm or so...that would be the sweet spot for Me
Old 03-23-2018, 05:52 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
I have found a good amount of power to be about 200hp/ton. That basically translates to a low 13 second car... plenty for the street. With a good, responsive, obedient transmission you should have no problems. And with good tires + suspension + brakes you should be able to leave basically anyone for dead.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:29 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
For some comparison context... once the Jag F-type R went all wheel drive, they dropped the 6MT. You can only get it now in the base or S model w/RWD. You could argue it's a stretch to compare those two cars, because they're for different financial markets. Then again, on paper, there's a fair amount of similarity in overall design and power.

To me it makes a little more sense in the Jag though that they'd drop it, its more a luxury cruiser than a sports car, right? the Z is meant to be a dedicated sports car.

I don't think 500hp is overkill. You can't always use it, sure... but when you can its glorious. My daily commute has plenty of opportunity for WOT runs. After experiencing some fast cars (I had a drive in a 700HP F10 M5), now I really want some more power lol
Old 03-24-2018, 04:47 AM
-ZS-Carpenter
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ

every year about this time we have a handful of the baseless rumors for the Z35 and every year it turns into nothing. I believed we would see it for 2020 based off nothing but how bad it will look if the 40th and 50th anniversary are the same car. But that window is rapidly closing with no prototype revealed yet again as the auto shows wrapped up. I'm keeping to my long term plans on my 370, it may very well be the last Z
Old 03-24-2018, 03:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by -ZS-Carpenter
every year about this time we have a handful of the baseless rumors for the Z35 and every year it turns into nothing. I believed we would see it for 2020 based off nothing but how bad it will look if the 40th and 50th anniversary are the same car. But that window is rapidly closing with no prototype revealed yet again as the auto shows wrapped up. I'm keeping to my long term plans on my 370, it may very well be the last Z
You are preaching to the choir my friend. I was all excited for the 2017 Tokyo auto show because we were supposed to see the Supra and Nissan Z and now both cars might debut in 2019?!? WTF?? You bring up a good point about the 40th and 50th anniversary cars being the same. I really hope Nissan is listening.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:53 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
I'd rather they found a way to cut a couple hundred lbs out of the current Z. Current Z is not bad

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?