G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
It's just a powertrain warranty, not bumper-to-bumper.

I think VW with the 6 year/72K B2B is the best warranty in the industry right now.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:05 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Exactly. The Hyundai warranty is lovely if you are the original owner and your primary concern is the drive train.

10yr/100k - drive train only, original owner
5yr/60k - drive train only, not the original owner
5yr/60k - Bumper to bumper, regardless

When we bought my wife her Subaru last fall, we paid an extra $2000 for a 10yr/100k mile warranty that is full drive train *AND* B2B. Seemed like a good idea at the time. So in the scenario where the amp blows out (again ) at 99,999 miles... we're covered.

My Infiniti, on the other hand... I'm on my own.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:39 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Iilac
It be replacing the G hopefully if I can get a good price for it. Too bad that resale price on the G is horrible. I only have 39k miles on my 07 and blue book values it in the low teens.
Where do you come up with a blue book value in the low teens for an '07 G? KBB is at $7,500 trade-in and 9,800 private party on an '07 G37X with 39k miles right now.

Originally Posted by Hashim
This is crazy right here...I didn't know that this was even a thing...it kinda changes the value proposition when buying new vs. say a 2/3 year old used version...I wonder if depreciation is even steeper because of it..
I bet Kia has a certified program like Hyundai though. This means if you buy one Certified used from a dealer they reinstate the 10 years from new or 100,000 mile warranty for the next owner.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:24 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 320 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Exactly. The Hyundai warranty is lovely if you are the original owner and your primary concern is the drive train.

10yr/100k - drive train only, original owner
5yr/60k - drive train only, not the original owner
5yr/60k - Bumper to bumper, regardless

When we bought my wife her Subaru last fall, we paid an extra $2000 for a 10yr/100k mile warranty that is full drive train *AND* B2B. Seemed like a good idea at the time. So in the scenario where the amp blows out (again ) at 99,999 miles... we're covered.

My Infiniti, on the other hand... I'm on my own.
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I bet Kia has a certified program like Hyundai though. This means if you buy one Certified used from a dealer they reinstate the 10 years from new or 100,000 mile warranty for the next owner.
You guys are blowing my mind with this warranty info...I didn't even know you could get extended warranties on a new car extended to 10 years B2B....$2000 seems like a really good deal...

and the losing it for second owner/getting it back if through certified dealer seems like such a scam to force you to buy from a dealer...(although buying from the dealer isn't necessarily a bad thing for a warrantied car)...

I've never had to use a car warranty...everything has hallways gone wrong for me just after the warranty expired...(I don;t know if this is good or bad luck lol)...

I'll have to give it more thought than I anticipated when replacing the G
Old 03-09-2018, 04:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
You guys are blowing my mind with this warranty info...I didn't even know you could get extended warranties on a new car extended to 10 years B2B....$2000 seems like a really good deal...

and the losing it for second owner/getting it back if through certified dealer seems like such a scam to force you to buy from a dealer...(although buying from the dealer isn't necessarily a bad thing for a warrantied car)...

I've never had to use a car warranty...everything has hallways gone wrong for me just after the warranty expired...(I don;t know if this is good or bad luck lol)...

I'll have to give it more thought than I anticipated when replacing the G
Extended warranties are never a bad idea if you are keeping the car for a long time- especially warranties that cover the electronics since that is usually where you have issues.

Certified dealers have factory trained technicians that go through an additional 150+ point inspection and replace a ton more parts on a car compared to one from some corner lot with a mechanic who cannot even pronounce Hyundai. Most car companies have certified programs for their cars that extend the warranties to about 100,000 miles.

I have usually had pretty good luck with cars and never really had an issue so I always skipped extended warranties. This G has a lot more tech than I usually get so I got a warranty and it has already almost paid for itself in only a few months. I also picked up a tire and wheel warranty since neither part is cheap on my car and surprisingly, that did pay for itself already.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:18 PM
Iilac
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Where do you come up with a blue book value in the low teens for an '07 G? KBB is at $7,500 trade-in and 9,800 private party on an '07 G37X with 39k miles right now.

That's what blue book quoted me when I put in the details of my car. It's a 6mt g35s. It's a damn shame on the weak resale value on Nissan vehicles. I really wished I brought used or something else that retained their value, like a Subaru STI, or the S2000 CR that I was eyeing.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:21 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Extended warranties are never a bad idea if you are keeping the car for a long time- especially warranties that cover the electronics since that is usually where you have issues.

Certified dealers have factory trained technicians that go through an additional 150+ point inspection and replace a ton more parts on a car compared to one from some corner lot with a mechanic who cannot even pronounce Hyundai. Most car companies have certified programs for their cars that extend the warranties to about 100,000 miles.

I have usually had pretty good luck with cars and never really had an issue so I always skipped extended warranties. This G has a lot more tech than I usually get so I got a warranty and it has already almost paid for itself in only a few months. I also picked up a tire and wheel warranty since neither part is cheap on my car and surprisingly, that did pay for itself already.
That's a lot of protection, now I feel like I have been barebacking the G all this time!

Now that I think of it though, I did use a tire warranty once..one of my PSS's blew up due to a defect in the sidewall...but I didn't get the road hazard warranty and I'm kicking myself cause I got a nail in the replacement just before switching to winters back in November...I have to plug it next month before switching back it would have been nice to have it replaced..
Old 03-09-2018, 04:40 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

That's what blue book quoted me when I put in the details of my car. It's a 6mt g35s. It's a damn shame on the weak resale value on Nissan vehicles. I really wished I brought used or something else that retained their value, like a Subaru STI, or the S2000 CR that I was eyeing.
I'm afraid that value you quote is just not accurate: https://www.kbb.com/infiniti/g/2007/...condition=good

But don't blame it on Nissan, we all bought Infiniti's highest volume car that is common. If you bought a Nissan Xterra instead you could sell it now for more than you paid for it new.

An Infiniti G will never hold its value like a super small production run car like an STI or S2000 CR. Just be glad your car does not say Chevy, Ford, or Chrysler on the front. Those depreciate much worse.

The good news about G's and now Q's is that they are an absolute steal on the used car market right now.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Iilac
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm afraid that value you quote is just not accurate: https://www.kbb.com/infiniti/g/2007/...condition=good

But don't blame it on Nissan, we all bought Infiniti's highest volume car that is common. If you bought a Nissan Xterra instead you could sell it now for more than you paid for it new.

An Infiniti G will never hold its value like a super small production run car like an STI or S2000 CR. Just be glad your car does not say Chevy, Ford, or Chrysler on the front. Those depreciate much worse.

The good news about G's and now Q's is that they are an absolute steal on the used car market right now.

That makes me even more depressed. Lol.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:20 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Just drove a 2018 M4 convertible for 450 miles in and around LA and some national parks, etc. Definitely decided that car is too big. And the exhaust sound sucks. But my god the torque on that machine...holy bejeezus. Gobs of power from 2500 rpm and above. Seats were not that comfortable long term, analogous to my sport seats in the G. Fuel economy, for me at least, was around 15mpg. Did notch it to 120 on the 405 in traffic...that was fun. Handling was good, settings...I kept it in sports+ the entire time. DCT, while fast at shifting...had too many compromises. I could literally feel the clutch engage at low speeds and it would roll back at random...and there was a slight delay from stop to rolling unless I mashed the gas. Honestly it shifting ludicrously quick when running hard but casual driving I think I'd rather have a regular auto or 6 speed stick. I am surprised that I liked the car but didn't "love it". Also, the trunk is virtually useless with the top down (which took about 30 seconds "felt like forever").

I'd say the M4 isn't on the list for me. Maybe a M2 would be more apropos.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:53 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

That makes me even more depressed. Lol.
Sorry man, hopefully you got a decent deal on the car. Not bad considering it is an 11 year old car. If it said Chevy on the front it would probably be worth half as much.

Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115
Just drove a 2018 M4 convertible for 450 miles in and around LA and some national parks, etc. Definitely decided that car is too big. And the exhaust sound sucks. But my god the torque on that machine...holy bejeezus. Gobs of power from 2500 rpm and above. Seats were not that comfortable long term, analogous to my sport seats in the G. Fuel economy, for me at least, was around 15mpg. Did notch it to 120 on the 405 in traffic...that was fun. Handling was good, settings...I kept it in sports+ the entire time. DCT, while fast at shifting...had too many compromises. I could literally feel the clutch engage at low speeds and it would roll back at random...and there was a slight delay from stop to rolling unless I mashed the gas. Honestly it shifting ludicrously quick when running hard but casual driving I think I'd rather have a regular auto or 6 speed stick. I am surprised that I liked the car but didn't "love it". Also, the trunk is virtually useless with the top down (which took about 30 seconds "felt like forever").

I'd say the M4 isn't on the list for me. Maybe a M2 would be more apropos.
So the M4 felt too big compared to your G? I am surprised to hear that. Glad you like the engine. The other things you didn't like are not deal breakers for me since I would be looking at a 6spd. M3 (your transmission and trunk woes) and I am sure it would not be difficult to change the exhaust. I have yet to hear that engine at full song in person. An M3 was in front of me and it sounded great, but he was not revving it very high.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:55 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
F3x/F8x do feel big.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:27 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Not bad considering it is an 11 year old car. If it said Chevy on the front it would probably be worth half as much.
This is what I was thinking. Our G's may not have the resale value of Audi or Lexus, but at 11yrs old those numbers hardly seem disappointing to me.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:47 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts

My ownership plan got a lot longer once I realized how low my mileage will be and how tough it'll be to get a 6MT RWD sedan moving fwd (only BMW left?)

But I also couldn't swallow the hit I'd take if I sold any time soon, and I bought my car at almost 20% off MSRP

Oh yea, and not having payments feels waaaaayyyyy better than expected
Old 03-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by STownSaint

Oh yea, and not having payments feels waaaaayyyyy better than expected
Best mod. ever.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?