G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 03:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
^^^ Don't actually like that. Not sure why you do, but

The colors and space, sure. But not everything needs to be outlined in satin metal and plastic. Certainly not the air vents, LOL. Overall, it's busy, with too many details, and too much thick, round-edged trim.

After turning 60, I've been thinking "retirement car" a lot lately, which is something that comes after "retirement house" and "next family car". If there's any reasonable budget afterwards, in 3 years or so, then I'm back in the game. Heck, I might even find a 4-6 year old F-Type, which was my original plan long ago.

2024 is the last year for the F-Type. The 6MT is long gone five years ago now, so are the V6 engines, and the 4cyl engine. What's left is a de-tuned but boosted 5.0L V8, and the "R", which is the same engine, but with the R-treatment.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-23-2024 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 03:41 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Wonder if the Jag can be tuned up to the F-type spec via computer... that would be an easy choice.

As an attorney, I don't get to retire, so I'm not as much worried about that. I might feel different in 8 years, sure.
Old 02-24-2024, 04:07 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,069 Posts
re: Jag. IF you can find one (then, or now) in decent shape, not wrecked, and reasonably priced.

Been looking for a Jag 'Vert for roughly 3-6 months and just about every one that comes up has "issues."

Likely gonna settle for a Z4... IF I can find one in my specs.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 02-24-2024 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:04 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
Still holding out for a 71 Stingray....

The following 2 users liked this post by socketz67:
abrecos (02-25-2024), rotarymike (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 11:53 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

When I watched this I couldn't help to think this is what the G37/Q50 could be if the VR30 would be offered with a 6 speed manual (with additional chassis, suspension, and electronic systems improvements of course). I always thought Nissan should have crammed the VK56 with a 6spd to go up against the E90 and ISF back in the day.

Unfortunately only companies with their financials in good shape today can take on such engineering efforts to provide offerings for enthusiasts.
The following 4 users liked this post by RobC7:
abrecos (02-26-2024), Lego_Maniac (02-26-2024), rotarymike (02-26-2024), STownSaint (03-01-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 12:21 PM
abrecos
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by RobC7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxh3...nnel=TheTopher

When I watched this I couldn't help to think this is what the G37/Q50 could be if the VR30 would be offered with a 6 speed manual (with additional chassis, suspension, and electronic systems improvements of course). I always thought Nissan should have crammed the VK56 with a 6spd to go up against the E90 and ISF back in the day.

Unfortunately only companies with their financials in good shape today can take on such engineering efforts to provide offerings for enthusiasts.
I would love to have Infiniti Q70 5.6L with manual transmission and sport tuned suspension . With car like that I can smoke anything.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

The wife and I went to the local Auto Show yesterday. I do every year, just to get my eyeballs on what's available in the local market. Rochester NY is a small-ish city, not like Toronto or Chicago. So the autoshow here are cars provided by local dealerships, of which there's about 3 dealerships per brand. The cars are brought into the convention center, and there are manufacturer reps, as well as dealership sales staff. There are rarely any prototypes, or exotics, but sometimes there are. There was a new Ferrari there, for example. Sometimes Aston Martin shows up, etc.

Anyway... there were some cars missing. For example, Genesis was a no-show this year, which was weird, and frustrating because I've always wanted to see the GV60 up close and personal. Also, the Hyundai Ionic 5 and 6 were missing, which sucks because I wanted my wife to see the Ionic 5 up close. Not a big deal, we can go to any dealership for those cars.

Whatever appeal I once had for the VW ID.4 has evaporated. Just don't like it anymore.

The new Prius Prime was quite nice, although not for me.

My daughter really liked the Chevy Trax and the Chevy Trailblazer, both extremely affordable and fine cars for a young woman who's not really into cars.

Both my wife and I loved (!!) the new Nissan Aryia. Inside and out, this car is gorgeous. Sadly, the Aryia doesn't qualify for even one penny of the tax incentive program, and its charging time is way longer than most EV's. But still, beautiful car.

Finally, the one vehicle that absolutely spoke to me as a car that I want to own... it's not a car, really. It's the Ford Maverick. Ever since the Maverick came out, I've been enamored with it. At last year's autoshow, I sat in the Maverick, and really liked it, to my surprise. This year I went over every inch of the vehicle inside and out, and the appeal is only stronger. I wish I could explain why, because I am *NOT* a truck guy. Never have been. But the seating position is absolutely perfect, not too high, not too low. The cabin space is wonderful, neither cramped nor overly spacious. The utility is undeniable (Truck!). And the appearance works for me.

The salesperson tells me that for 2024 you can configure the top-model Lariat with AWD and either powertrain, the 2.0T or the 2.5 Hybrid. That's new.

I think we're going to test drive each. They're offering a $50 debit card just to have me come in and test drive, so I probably should. If this truck is in my future, I should get a test drive out of my system. Would I sell my Infiniti and then move into a freaking Maverick? Yeah actually, I probably would.

My long term plan is to first move into a new house after my youngest graduates college. Then sell the G and buy something practical (like the Maverick). Then trade in the wife's Forester for something like the Aryia. And eventually buy an impractical third vehicle as a hobby car. Now that I'm 60 years old, "long term car plans" have a sense of finality to them, so I better get this right, LOL.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-01-2024 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:55 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm thinking of a Tesla Model Y I figure I could get one used for about 19k out the door. if I wait a few years, I might be able to get at least a refreshed 2024. they're expected to come out this year. I wish they had solid state batteries. I'm not driving much, so I'm not really worried about long distance. they're a pretty good size and the 0 to 60 is in the four second range for the long range, which is all I think I really need. I figure if I get one that the battery has been taken care of, it could last at least 10 years before it needs a new battery
Old 03-02-2024, 01:54 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Finally, the one vehicle that absolutely spoke to me as a car that I want to own... it's not a car, really. It's the Ford Maverick. Ever since the Maverick came out, I've been enamored with it. At last year's autoshow, I sat in the Maverick, and really liked it, to my surprise. This year I went over every inch of the vehicle inside and out, and the appeal is only stronger. I wish I could explain why, because I am *NOT* a truck guy. Never have been. But the seating position is absolutely perfect, not too high, not too low. The cabin space is wonderful, neither cramped nor overly spacious. The utility is undeniable (Truck!). And the appearance works for me.

The salesperson tells me that for 2024 you can configure the top-model Lariat with AWD and either powertrain, the 2.0T or the 2.5 Hybrid. That's new.

I think we're going to test drive each. They're offering a $50 debit card just to have me come in and test drive, so I probably should. If this truck is in my future, I should get a test drive out of my system. Would I sell my Infiniti and then move into a freaking Maverick? Yeah actually, I probably would.

My long term plan is to first move into a new house after my youngest graduates college. Then sell the G and buy something practical (like the Maverick). Then trade in the wife's Forester for something like the Aryia. And eventually buy an impractical third vehicle as a hobby car. Now that I'm 60 years old, "long term car plans" have a sense of finality to them, so I better get this right, LOL.
I really like the Maverick, it's more than I'm looking to spend on a next vehicle but I think it's a fantastic package. 2.0T with AWD you can even get the max tow package and tow 4000LB. XLT with the Tremor package is how I'd like do it. I haven't driven one but know a couple people with them and they love them.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I test drove the Maverick this afternoon. It was a XLT with the 2.0T and AWD.

Cabin space was nice, except my left arm was compromised by the door panel, making it feel tight. Steering felt disengaged, brakes were just OK, turning radius was very good, visibility was excellent, and it was more than reasonably powerful.

While driving it, I felt like the cabin was acceptable, neither good nor bad, just meh. However the moment I transferred back to our Subaru, I immediately felt like the Subby was a much, much better place to be, and that perhaps the Mav was too much of a truck. Plus, Turbo lag sucks ***** on a mildly boosted car.

So my online crush on the Ford Maverick is officially over. Damn.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-02-2024 at 07:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 10:24 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

I test drove the Maverick this afternoon. It was a XLT with the 2.0T and AWD.

Cabin space was nice, except my left arm was compromised by the door panel, making it feel tight. Steering felt disengaged, brakes were just OK, turning radius was very good, visibility was excellent, and it was more than reasonably powerful.

While driving it, I felt like the cabin was acceptable, neither good nor bad, just meh. However the moment I transferred back to our Subaru, I immediately felt like the Subby was a much, much better place to be, and that perhaps the Mav was too much of a truck. Plus, Turbo lag sucks ***** on a mildly boosted car.

So my online crush on the Ford Maverick is officially over. Damn.
Have you ever driven a Ridgeline?
Old 03-03-2024, 07:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Epiphany
Have you ever driven a Ridgeline?
I have not. Nor have I driven the Santa Cruz. Both fine trucks that drive like a car, I'm sure. However after that test drive, I think I've shaken off whatever appeal those vehicles have.
abrecos (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 07:31 AM
abrecos
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
I have not. Nor have I driven the Santa Cruz. Both fine trucks that drive like a car, I'm sure. However after that test drive, I think I've shaken off whatever appeal those vehicles have.
what about Toyota Tacoma, my manager bought 2020 used Tacoma with little over 60000 miles on it and very happy with it. He lives on the farmhouse and is very handy for him.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:11 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Originally Posted by abrecos
what about Toyota Tacoma, my manager bought 2020 used Tacoma with little over 60000 miles on it and very happy with it. He lives on the farmhouse and is very handy for him.
Can not go wrong with a Tacoma. Problem is, at least in my area, finding one (2016-2023) in decent shape, commensurate mileage, not wrecked/ abused, for a reasonable price is utterly painful to say the least. Been looking for six (6) months now but, as I freely admit, I am a picky SOB. And that pain is worse shopping for a convertible...

Unless you want the new 2024 Tacoma which is not for me. I am not a fan of turbo 4-bangers nor this hybrid nonsense.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 03-03-2024 at 10:14 AM.
abrecos (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 05:09 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Fair, I think you'd like the Ridgeline a lot more than the Maverick or Santa Cruz if you ever think about going back that way. Beautiful NA V6 engine would even sound great if you wanted to put a fancy exhaust on it. Would also be the much more comfortable and reliable option.

Originally Posted by abrecos
I don't think Rochester would enjoy a Tacoma, half ton fuel economy and a much worse ride and interior. Absolutely cool trucks though and one of the best options for off road.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?