G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 12:11 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Damn, that’s almost new MSRP. Agree on the CPO benefits though. Still more than the CTR.
I did a little more research and that pricing seems to be pretty accurate with a number of them being more expensive nationally. Kind of amazing for a car that does not have nearly the markup (if any) compared to the Type R. I did find a twin Type S in Texas for $49,XXX with a clean carfax and low miles that got me thinking. If the Type R did not pan out for some reason other than ride quality, a used Integra Type R might be only a few thousand more than a new Type R later in the year. It might be worth it for the amazing stereo, better sounding exhaust, lower spoiler, power seat w/ lumbar adjust for my back, smaller side bolsters to make it easier to get in and out, heated seats & ability to get a heated steering wheel, and heads up display. I do like the seats, shift ****, suede trim, and led shift lights of the Civic better. If I got back into track days, I might miss the track data. I'm just amazed that I can drive both cars on the same day. Might be the only time in my life that is possible. lol
Old 02-04-2024, 11:11 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I finally got to drive the new Civic Type R and it actually lives up to the hype. Walking up to the car you cannot help but notice that every clean and determined line serves a purpose. From the bulging fenders housing a big brake kit with 2 pc. front rotors and 19" wheels with wide low profile tires to the hood vent and bright red racing seats, you know it means business. It has a definite presence about it and it looks so much more honed and precise than the previous generation. It is the type of car you get out of and sneak one more look back at before you walk away.

Opening the door you notice right away that the same obsessive focus on the details and design carries over to the interior. The seats look extremely focused, but also comfortable and much easier to get in and out of than you would expect. The black suede with red stitching lining the doors and armrest gives the interior a more upscale look. Everything is exactly where you expect and easy to operate. The visibility out of the windshield and side windows is incredible due to the extremely thin A-pillars. The Bose stereo sounds great and the gauges are all easy to read.

Driving the car is simply sublime. The pedal placement and shifter feel are perfect right out of the box. The steering is razor sharp and it instantly transmits to your fingers exactly what the car is doing. The handling is astonishing to the point that you forget it is FWD. Even on cold tires it pulls hard out of corners. Certainly there are faster cars, but extremely few that are more rewarding to drive. And for that reason, I bought it. I pick it up tomorrow and have not been this excited to get a new car in a very long time, if ever. I feel very fortunate and grateful to have this rare opportunity.

The following 3 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
2.2Lude (02-12-2024), 2GoRNot2G (02-05-2024), Epiphany (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 07:40 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Good for you, 4DRZ!!!

Like your G and your Subby, this is an uncommon and special car.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 08:38 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Can't say this comes as a surprise lol. Congrats @4DRZ
4DRZ (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 01:04 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Great! Now let's close this thread

but first post some pictures
Old 02-05-2024, 01:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Looking at those pics, I can't see anything aesthetically odd, or something that could be tweaked. I mean, that wing is typically something I'd hate on, but TBH it looks right here in these pics. The whole car looks perfect in OEM trim. Is there anything you'd like to do to it? I remember you did some subtle changes to the STi that were smart.
Old 02-05-2024, 01:51 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase! Hopefully the clutch pedal is light enough that it won't reaggravate your back issues. If I can ever find the time to sell my G, I've considered replacing it with the ITS, so I'll be very interested to see how you feel about the CTR after living with it for a few months.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:56 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Good for you with the CTR. It's also great since it will hold its value crazy well so in 2-3 years when you have the ability to get something else super cool cheap you won't be out much either. Enjoy!
Old 02-06-2024, 10:55 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Congrats on the CTR, they're really cool cars. I like them because they're already fine-tuned from the factory and don't really need any mods to be fun and fast. If you need more power, a couple bolt-ons, tune, and E85 will be more than plenty.
Old 02-06-2024, 12:39 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thanks guys! You know you found the right car when you plan to run one errand and don't return home for 6 hours because you enjoy driving it so much.
2GoRNot2G (02-06-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 03:07 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RobC7
Great! Now let's close this thread

but first post some pictures
I've always tried to keep this thread true to the title with interesting car reviews. I'll probably continue to do so as long as I have access to a few more interesting cars than the average enthusiast.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Looking at those pics, I can't see anything aesthetically odd, or something that could be tweaked. I mean, that wing is typically something I'd hate on, but TBH it looks right here in these pics. The whole car looks perfect in OEM trim. Is there anything you'd like to do to it? I remember you did some subtle changes to the STi that were smart.
Good point. I really like the styling a lot better than the previous generation. I finally figured out why I like the front end so much. The headlights look like they were styled for a 90's Nissan sport compact. I'm not a huge fan of the wing either, but some designer at Honda spent their time on it. It is shaped exactly like the upper edge of the rear window so you actually don't see it when you are driving. Smart. I was no so sure about black wheels either, but they look good in person and I am glad they are no longer 20's. The wheel gap is very minimal for stock, especially considering they are 30 series tires!?! Fortunately, the ride is still good despite the tires. I did order the Acura Integra Type S suspension module to see if it would soften the ride a touch more. That part is on backorder though so it may be a while. I honestly don't remember the Type S riding any better, but maybe I'm wrong. Once it warms up and I hear the car with the windows down I might remove the exhaust resonator. I also found a humorous fix for your cold shift ****. They arrive tomorrow. Other than that, I cannot think of anything the car needs.

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Congrats on your new purchase! Hopefully the clutch pedal is light enough that it won't reaggravate your back issues. If I can ever find the time to sell my G, I've considered replacing it with the ITS, so I'll be very interested to see how you feel about the CTR after living with it for a few months.
Thanks! This clutch is worlds lighter than my STI Type RA and my back doctor thinks that motion will actually help my S1 nerve. I was really torn on the Integra Type S. I do like the Type S lower spoiler, stereo, adj. lumbar, and heated seat option better, but in the Civic Type R I actually like the seats, interior trim, LED shift lights, shift ****, and track ap better while the Bose stereo is still really good. For me I really struggled to justify the extra $7,000 for the Integra when I was already leaning a bit toward the Civic.

Originally Posted by backman_66
Congrats on the CTR, they're really cool cars. I like them because they're already fine-tuned from the factory and don't really need any mods to be fun and fast. If you need more power, a couple bolt-ons, tune, and E85 will be more than plenty.
Thanks! I agree that this car is set up really well from the factory. It is probably the most dialed in factory car until you spend triple to get a GT3. It's actually a bit weird for me to get a car that I do not have big tuning plans for right away. I have to admit that it is not a bad feeling to know that there are not a ton of projects looming in the future. Instead, I can just hop in and really enjoy the drive.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Good point. I really like the styling a lot better than the previous generation. I finally figured out why I like the front end so much. The headlights look like they were styled for a 90's Nissan sport compact. I'm not a huge fan of the wing either, but some designer at Honda spent their time on it. It is shaped exactly like the upper edge of the rear window so you actually don't see it when you are driving. Smart. I was no so sure about black wheels either, but they look good in person and I am glad they are no longer 20's. The wheel gap is very minimal for stock, especially considering they are 30 series tires!?! Fortunately, the ride is still good despite the tires. I did order the Acura Integra Type S suspension module to see if it would soften the ride a touch more. That part is on backorder though so it may be a while. I honestly don't remember the Type S riding any better, but maybe I'm wrong. Once it warms up and I hear the car with the windows down I might remove the exhaust resonator. I also found a humorous fix for your cold shift ****. They arrive tomorrow. Other than that, I cannot think of anything the car needs.
I also think the front end is beautiful. And the way the window trim in the rear quarter panel draws the eye right into the deck wing... I noticed that too. That's so cool. The little black side splitter and that rear fender flare at the end of the splitter... it all comes together.

Shift **** sock isn't going to do anything to keep the **** warmer than the surrounding temp. And you wouldn't actually drive with it on. But yeah, it's cute. You may or may not remember that I had winter issues with my shift ****, which is cut out of a solid chunk of titanium. I use a different **** in the winter, made out of this heavy plastic material that is super forgiving about extreme temps.

Looking forward to reading your driving impressions as a new owner, with daily use and experience with sport sedans. Granted, it's February and you live in Wisconsin.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-10-2024 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Shift **** sock isn't going to do anything to keep the **** warmer than the surrounding temp. And you wouldn't actually drive with it on. But yeah, it's cute. You may or may not remember that I had winter issues with my shift ****, which is cut out of a solid chunk of titanium. I use a different **** in the winter, made out of this heavy plastic material that is super forgiving about extreme temps.

Looking forward to reading your driving impressions as a new owner, with daily use and experience with sport sedans. Granted, it's February and you live in Wisconsin.
I remember your temperature issues with the titanium **** and thought of that as soon as I saw these shift **** hoodies. You're right, they won't do anything for the initial cold shift **** temps in the winter, but should keep the shift **** out of the sun in the summer. I'm going to try driving with it on in the winter a time or two to see if it is doable. Otherwise my gloves should do the job.

We have had a pretty mild winter so far. My goal is to drive the car once a week or once every other week if the temps are above freezing. We had a couple of 50 degree days this week and it will start warming up in March. Spring isn't too far away, but I'm sure we will still get some more snow.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:24 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Are you getting a winter tire setup or just chancing it with the summers?
Old 02-12-2024, 02:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Are you getting a winter tire setup or just chancing it with the summers?
Normally, I wouldn't make it down the street in Wisconsin winters with summer tires, but this winter has been pretty mild. This year I would only be stuck for about a week. Fortunately, I have a set of winters from my wife's Sentra that "should" bolt right up. I just have not had a chance to test fit them yet.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?