G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 11:30 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Styling: Let's get it over with and talk about the elephant in the room. This car has rightfully received bad reviews about the styling. In pictures, the headlights and the C-pillar look decent and very similar to the sporty WRX concept they had years ago. The rest of the car looks like they had a fire sale on black plastic trim and Subaru thought they should try to make the WRX look like an suv. Fortunately, it does actually look better in person. Still not great, but better. I don't think too many people will be parking their WRX's and looking back saying, "Wow, that is a great looking car!" The black plastic trim has a lot of texture to it and would probably look ok in black or maybe gray. Good luck with white and red. It also looks better with the 18" wheels, but their style is not great.
Nice review. There is a company making color matched fenders to replace the factory black plastic ones.

The oil filter on top of the engine makes oil changes a bit easier, but the drain plug is still on the bottom.
Just having the filter on the top still lets you pump the oil out via the dipstick tube. I'm totally team extractor and have been doing oil changes from the top for the last 5+ years.

I could live with this car, especially the new higher "performance version" that is coming out and getting Recaro's, Brembos, suspension goodies etc.

Old 11-30-2023, 03:18 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Nice review. There is a company making color matched fenders to replace the factory black plastic ones.
I figured the aftermarket would come up with a solution eventually. How much are those? That might look a little better, but there is still a LOT of black plastic on the side sills and both bumpers. Again, it doesn't look as bad in person and might actually look ok on black.

Just having the filter on the top still lets you pump the oil out via the dipstick tube. I'm totally team extractor and have been doing oil changes from the top for the last 5+ years.

I could live with this car, especially the new higher "performance version" that is coming out and getting Recaro's, Brembos, suspension goodies etc.
That's good to hear you like the extractor. When I was doing track days I always liked to pull the magnetic drain plug out to remove any metal shavings. I suppose if you did that once or twice on a new motor you would probably be ok to do most of your oil changes via extractor for street use.

The upcoming WRX TR is a bit strange to me. Brembos and Recaros are always nice, but it is rumored to cost about as much as an STI with stock WRX power and a firmer ride. Unless there is a ton of tuning potential in that engine, a WRX Premium seems like the sweet spot. I'm also not a fan of the style of the 19's on the TR, but then again the 18's are not great either.
Old 12-01-2023, 03:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

@lego maniac or anyone else familar with Golf R's: I made an interesting discovery recently when I accidentally hit the wrong year group searching for 2nd gen (2015-2019) Golf R's: The 2012 & 2013's are ridiculously inexpensive for what you get. I love hatchbacks, I'm obviously a fan of VW's, and there is just something appealing about a dirt cheap hot hatch. (I've even been giving low mileage Volvo C30's some thought.)

Possible downsides: I get that 1st gen Golf R's are a bit down on power compared to the 2nd gen, but they are tuneable and pretty fun to drive from what I remember. The radio screen is ridiculously small, but fortunately the 1st gens are just old enough to be able to upgrade the entire unit (score!). Because it is an older car, an extended warranty is more expensive and does not cover as many parts compared to a 2nd gen Golf R that still has factory warranty left. There are also not nearly as many available compared to the 2nd generation. However, I have time on my side as I really don't want another car until an investment matures in early April and I really have until the middle of October when my Ariya lease is up.

Benefits: The interior is still very similar in layout to the 2nd generation (ie. nice) and it rides on 18's so my 18" snow tires would transfer right over. My lead VW tech said the 1st and 2nd gen are both pretty reliable. Kind of a shock to hear that about a VW, but puts me at ease a bit. I love the style with the blacked out headlights, headlight washers, LED DRLs up front, and in back the central exhaust pipes, and the neatly designed LED tail lights. I thought I remembered the Dynaudio system in this car sounding a touch better than the Fender units in the 2nd gens, but I could be wrong. I also think I still pine for a 1st gen Golf R a bit since I nearly bought a 2013 new, but ended up getting an E46 M3 instead. Thoughts?

@Legomaniac I was also trying to remember what year your Golf R was and if you went with 18's or 19's when you got new wheels. Thanks!

Last edited by 4DRZ; 12-01-2023 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:28 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

@lego maniac or anyone else familar with Golf R's: I made an interesting discovery recently when I accidentally hit the wrong year group searching for 2nd gen (2015-2019) Golf R's: The 2012 & 2013's are ridiculously inexpensive for what you get. I love hatchbacks, I'm obviously a fan of VW's, and there is just something appealing about a dirt cheap hot hatch. (I've even been giving low mileage Volvo C30's some thought.)

Possible downsides: I get that 1st gen Golf R's are a bit down on power compared to the 2nd gen, but they are tuneable and pretty fun to drive from what I remember. The radio screen is ridiculously small, but fortunately the 1st gens are just old enough to be able to upgrade the entire unit (score!). Because it is an older car, an extended warranty is more expensive and does not cover as many parts compared to a 2nd gen Golf R that still has factory warranty left. There are also not nearly as many available compared to the 2nd generation. However, I have time on my side as I really don't want another car until an investment matures in early April and I really have until the middle of October when my Ariya lease is up.

Benefits: The interior is still very similar in layout to the 2nd generation (ie. nice) and it rides on 18's so my 18" snow tires would transfer right over. My lead VW tech said the 1st and 2nd gen are both pretty reliable. Kind of a shock to hear that about a VW, but puts me at ease a bit. I love the style with the blacked out headlights, headlight washers, LED DRLs up front, and in back the central exhaust pipes, and the neatly designed LED tail lights. I thought I remembered the Dynaudio system in this car sounding a touch better than the Fender units in the 2nd gens, but I could be wrong. I also think I still pine for a 1st gen Golf R a bit since I nearly bought a 2013 new, but ended up getting an E46 M3 instead. Thoughts?

@Legomaniac I was also trying to remember what year your Golf R was and if you went with 18's or 19's when you got new wheels. Thanks!
I can't say I'm super familiar with the MK6 Rs, although it's a car I always thought was cool. Not sure why it wasn't on my list when I got my G37. I'd think if you could find a low mileage, relatively lightly modded example, it should be reasonably reliable. The big ticket items like engine/trans have been used on TONS of VAG cars and at this point are pretty well sorted out. I think your memory on the Dynaudi is correct, the consensus seems to be that each generations audio system is not as good as the prior. Hearing the same thing about the HK vs Fender. The seats in the MK6 were also more heavily bolstered IIRC than the MK7/8. I bet you could just swap out the head unit as it probably isn't as integrated as more modern cars.

I went 19s, 1/2" wider than stock in hopes the extra width would accommodate BBK without spacers (it did!).

Old 12-01-2023, 05:43 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I can't say I'm super familiar with the MK6 Rs, although it's a car I always thought was cool. Not sure why it wasn't on my list when I got my G37. I'd think if you could find a low mileage, relatively lightly modded example, it should be reasonably reliable. The big ticket items like engine/trans have been used on TONS of VAG cars and at this point are pretty well sorted out. I think your memory on the Dynaudi is correct, the consensus seems to be that each generations audio system is not as good as the prior. Hearing the same thing about the HK vs Fender. The seats in the MK6 were also more heavily bolstered IIRC than the MK7/8. I bet you could just swap out the head unit as it probably isn't as integrated as more modern cars.
I just got off the phone with Cal at APR and he said the MK6 & MK7 Golf R's are pretty bulletproof too. (I'm still shocked to hear that about a sporty VW ) I know you favored some other tuners like Cobb, who I have used before, but they seem to start on the Golf R with the MK7. Any other tuners I should check out for the MK6? The Harman Kardon stereo on the MK8 GTI sounds awful until you change the listening mode to "dynamic" or something similar. Then it actually sounds pretty good. Not sure why that is not the stock setting. The head unit on the MK6 Golf R looks very simple to replace through Crutchfield and that would be a massive technology update for the car.

I went 19s, 1/2" wider than stock in hopes the extra width would accommodate BBK without spacers (it did!).
Yes, now I remember those O.Z.'s. Did the tires come with the wheels? I have not seen S0-4's in a long time. Didn't you get the brakes off of a TT? Nice how VAG parts are so interchangeable.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:28 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

I just got off the phone with Cal at APR and he said the MK6 & MK7 Golf R's are pretty bulletproof too. (I'm still shocked to hear that about a sporty VW ) I know you favored some other tuners like Cobb, who I have used before, but they seem to start on the Golf R with the MK7. Any other tuners I should check out for the MK6? The Harman Kardon stereo on the MK8 GTI sounds awful until you change the listening mode to "dynamic" or something similar. Then it actually sounds pretty good. Not sure why that is not the stock setting. The head unit on the MK6 Golf R looks very simple to replace through Crutchfield and that would be a massive technology update for the car.
Yeah, for years I associated VW (and German cars in general) as garbage reliability. Not sure that stereotype is still entirely accurate.

The Cobb AP opened up the MK7 to a bunch of other tuners. I'm not familiar enough with the MK6 to make a recommendation.

That is a benefit to an older car, you could swap the head unit for something more modern and gain carplay/android auto and have a HUGE upgrade for a DD.

Yes, now I remember those O.Z.'s. Did the tires come with the wheels? I have not seen S0-4's in a long time. Didn't you get the brakes off of a TT? Nice how VAG parts are so interchangeable.
VAG parts are super interchangeable, people swap the 6 piston RS3 calipers, but it's more costly. I went with the base Porsche Macan Brembos, benefit being they are top loaders, so easier to change pads, where the TTS need to have the caliper removed. Direct bolt on, just need new lines.

The S-04s lol. I had those as my first upgrade on my G after the RE050As wore out. I got a flat with like 5K on the OE tires and needed 2 new tires, because AWD, and that is what was in stock. Running PSS now.
Old 12-01-2023, 11:42 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts

Benefits: and in back the central exhaust pipes,
Centre exhaust is best exhaust. Super cool and unique until the last gen Civic. Still cool, though.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (12-02-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 11:28 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Epiphany
Centre exhaust is best exhaust. Super cool and unique until the last gen Civic. Still cool, though.
I like the look of the center exhaust and as I read old reviews it supposedly sounds good on the MK6 Golf R. I just cannot remember if part of the noise comes through the rear speakers like the MK7 Golf R. At least the fake sound through the speakers on the MK7 Golf R sounds pretty decent. The Type R Civic still has a central exhaust, but good luck finding one. It has been nearly a year since my Honda store even had a Type R.
Old 12-02-2023, 12:11 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

I like the look of the center exhaust and as I read old reviews it supposedly sounds good on the MK6 Golf R. I just cannot remember if part of the noise comes through the rear speakers like the MK7 Golf R. At least the fake sound through the speakers on the MK7 Golf R sounds pretty decent. The Type R Civic still has a central exhaust, but good luck finding one. It has been nearly a year since my Honda store even had a Type R.

Technically it's a speaker, but it doesn't come through the speakers. It's a tiny resonator ​​​mounted inside the engine bay on the firewall, it can be unplugged if you want, or disabled via OBDEleven. I found it to be too bassy and vibrated my radar detector so I turned it off. The Rs that sounded really good were the 1st and 2nd generation R32s with the narrow angle V6.

Old 12-02-2023, 12:29 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
Still can't believe that none of you guys have considered the Cybertruck

Love the engineering that went into this thing, such as using ohms law to boost the voltage and lower the current, enabling smaller conductors. 0-60 in 2.6 seconds is mind boggling, and the body panels appear to be invincible. I also love how Tesla took the Apple approach and controls the entire ecosystem and user experience. But I can’t get over the looks.

​​​​​​

Last edited by socketz67; 12-04-2023 at 10:35 AM.
SupraOfDoom (12-04-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 02:46 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Technically it's a speaker, but it doesn't come through the speakers. It's a tiny resonator ​​​mounted inside the engine bay on the firewall, it can be unplugged if you want, or disabled via OBDEleven. I found it to be too bassy and vibrated my radar detector so I turned it off. The Rs that sounded really good were the 1st and 2nd generation R32s with the narrow angle V6.
The "soundaktor" right? That's what I thought it was, but one of the reviews I was reading said it came through the rear speakers on the MK7 Golf R. I rolled the front windows down on the MK7 Golf R we had and it actually sounded like it was coming from behind me. Strange, my mind is playing tricks on me. I'm pretty sure the MK6 Golf R also has a soundaktor. So do the MK6 & MK7 Golf R's have exhausts that change tone or is it all from the soundaktor? Does your Golf R sound exactly the same in all the different drive modes?

The 2nd generation R32 sounds absolutely amazing. It's just a shame it never came with a manual and was not great to look at.

Originally Posted by socketz67
Still can't believe that none of you guys have considered the Cybertruck

Love the engineering that went into this thing, such as using ohms law to boost the voltage and lower the current, enabling smaller conductors. 0-60 in 2.6 seconds is mind boggling, and the body panels appear to be invincible. I also love how Tesla took the Apple approach and controls the entire ecosystem and user experience. But I can’t get over the looks.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WDq0V5oBg
The fastest Rivian truck runs 0-60 in 3.0 according to Car & Driver. I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Both are amazing considering how big and heavy they are. I noticed they used a softer baseball this time instead of the metal ball that shattered the window the last time the truck had a press release. The body panels are stainless steel so they may be a bit more resistant to dents, but I think they will be pretty tough to keep clean like a DeLorean. I think those panels will also be a lot tougher to pop out dents, but maybe I'm wrong. There are a lot of articles complaining that the truck changed too much from the prototype, but it looks pretty similar to me.

Last edited by socketz67; 12-04-2023 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-02-2023, 03:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Thanks for the video, Socket.

I don't care for the Cyber Truck, and I'm not too keen on Tesla any more. But it is enlightening to understand some of the evolutionary tech, and that's cool.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
Lego_Maniac (12-02-2023), socketz67 (12-03-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 05:54 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

The "soundaktor" right? That's what I thought it was, but one of the reviews I was reading said it came through the rear speakers on the MK7 Golf R. I rolled the front windows down on the MK7 Golf R we had and it actually sounded like it was coming from behind me. Strange, my mind is playing tricks on me. I'm pretty sure the MK6 Golf R also has a soundaktor. So do the MK6 & MK7 Golf R's have exhausts that change tone or is it all from the soundaktor? Does your Golf R sound exactly the same in all the different drive modes?
I’m 99% sure all the sound is generated by the Soundaktor. Can’t speak for the mk6, but the mk7 R has a valved exhaust, so yes, it absolutely sounds different based on driving mode. Comfort and economy modes will quiet the soundaktor and be more aggressive keeping the outer valves closed. The can be coded always open via OBDeleven.
4DRZ (12-04-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 01:46 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Thanks for the video, Socket.

I don't care for the Cyber Truck, and I'm not too keen on Tesla any more. But it is enlightening to understand some of the evolutionary tech, and that's cool.
My long time "car buddy" that recently converted to Tesla always sends me these videos; losing him to Tesla reminds me of when one of your drinking buddies growing up gets married.

This video is actually pretty nicely done. I have solar on the house now, I will will likely replace my wife's Pilot with a Tesla as she is not as emotionally attached to her cars as I am....The price is right as Tesla keeps dropping prices while everyone is raising them.
Old 12-04-2023, 11:56 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
My long time "car buddy" that recently converted to Tesla always sends me these videos; losing him to Tesla reminds me of when one of your drinking buddies growing up gets married.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?