G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 03:41 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyTheMan
Ever considered the mazda3 turbo? No stick but awd and 250 hp. I kinda like the hatchback look personally.
Yes. That is a great looking car and the stats look good on paper, but it is just not that fun to drive. A stick shift would greatly help its chances, but it could also use some work in the handling, steering, and braking departments.
Old 11-02-2023, 03:44 PM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
I had kinda figured it wouldn't be as sporty as the gti, i don't know if there's much aftermarket support for them either to help with that. Buick regal tourx caught my eye too because of the awd and i personally like the look of a wagon.
Old 11-02-2023, 04:16 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Here is to hoping that the next gen (8.5) GTI is still available with a stick shift.
If you want a GTI, and absolutely have to buy new, you should get a 2024. The manual is dead, and VW isn't going to bring it back to sell a few thousand units in the NA market.

That does look good in black. And I'm kinda jealous of the power folding mirrors.
Old 11-02-2023, 05:10 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
If you want a GTI, and absolutely have to buy new, you should get a 2024. The manual is dead, and VW isn't going to bring it back to sell a few thousand units in the NA market.

That does look good in black. And I'm kinda jealous of the power folding mirrors.
You read my mind on the 2024. I just drove it and was surprised that it was even more fun to drive than I remember. Definitely quicker than the Integra. I think the only thing I might like better would be the Civic Type R, but I highly doubt that it is as good a daily driver as the GTI. I might even be ok with just an S model GTI 380. It has a really good sounding stereo for being stock and I would gain a volume **** which is important to me because I change that often while I drive. I know you would not want to give up the keyless access, but for me I would be holding the unlock button on the remote all summer anyway to roll down the windows before I jump in.
Old 11-02-2023, 05:29 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
Just curious which sites people use for their car shopping. I came across Autotempest, which aggregates other sites like cars.com, cars and bids and ebay. Are there any other sites that do this well?

I might sign up for notifications for a B8.5 S4, stick shift, black exterior, single-owner, clean title, under 40,000 miles...and then dedicate myself to the church because it'll take a miracle for such a car to hit the market.
Old 11-02-2023, 05:43 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Just curious which sites people use for their car shopping. I came across Autotempest, which aggregates other sites like cars.com, cars and bids and ebay. Are there any other sites that do this well?

I might sign up for notifications for a B8.5 S4, stick shift, black exterior, single-owner, clean title, under 40,000 miles...and then dedicate myself to the church because it'll take a miracle for such a car to hit the market.
I usually use Autotrader and if I cannot find what I want there, then I turn to Autotempest. You might also want to check out cars & bids as well as bring a trailer for performance cars. Check the Audi forums too. Trying to find a 7+ year old S4 with a stick shift, <40k miles, and a single owner is going to be pretty challenging no matter where you look.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:12 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
It has a really good sounding stereo for being stock and I would gain a volume **** which is important to me because I change that often while I drive. I know you would not want to give up the keyless access, but for me I would be holding the unlock button on the remote all summer anyway to roll down the windows before I jump in.
i almost exclusively use the steering wheel controls, but I think the **** is important for the passenger, especially in a DD. Our old 2017 Accord didn’t have one, and my passenger/spouse hated it.

funny, my car had the auto windows down via remote and I’ve never used it lol
Old 11-02-2023, 09:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
funny, my car had the auto windows down via remote and I’ve never used it lol
I use that on the G all the time in the summer, approaching the car in a hot parking lot. My 2003 Maxima had that feature too, so I was used to it.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:42 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
RAV-4 will likely be the priciest of the group, but of course this is because people hand their 10–15-year-old Toyotas down to their children based on Toyota's impeccable reputation for reliability. How has the Yaris held up? Any teenagers you can turn it over to? I'm guessing it may be worth close to what you paid for it back in 2014-15.
Picking up a RAV this weekend for the wife. 2017 XLE being bought from a coworker of hers. Same owner since new and well taken care of.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:46 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Yes. That is a great looking car and the stats look good on paper, but it is just not that fun to drive. A stick shift would greatly help its chances, but it could also use some work in the handling, steering, and braking departments.
I'm surprised at it not being fun to drive - Mazda usually focuses on that, even in the face of lower power. I know my 2007 with the 2.0 auto was pretty fun to drive once you learned to anticipate the shift points. Not an autocross killer for sure, but plenty zippy while I was driving Uber and Lyft in downtown Charleston.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:45 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
I'm surprised at it not being fun to drive - Mazda usually focuses on that, even in the face of lower power. I know my 2007 with the 2.0 auto was pretty fun to drive once you learned to anticipate the shift points. Not an autocross killer for sure, but plenty zippy while I was driving Uber and Lyft in downtown Charleston.
I was too. The A/T did not help things, nor did the tires. It is really designed as a commuter car vs. a sport compact. And it is a great commuter/daily driver.
Old 11-03-2023, 03:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

This might just be the best use of parts bin scavenging I have seen yet. The wheels on the GTI 380 are legit Golf R 20th anniversary wheels. They still have the "R" badge.

We got in a new Golf R with the DSG too. I never thought I would pick a black wheel over one with a machined finish, but I honestly like the GTI wheels better. I also like the GTI front bumper better with the 5 hex fog lights. There, I just saved myself spending $48k.

I noticed today that the GTI 6 speed gets 2 mpg better on the highway than it did last year for some reason and the DSG gets 1 mpg worse.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 11-03-2023 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2023, 11:44 AM
faiz23
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I took delivery of my Rivian R1S that has been on order for couple years. I got it towards the start of summer and made a last minute decision to grab the exact opposite color configuration compared to my Infiniti.

My Q40 is Moonlight White Pearl with Graphite seats. The Rivian I picked up is Midnight black exterior on Ocean Coast interior.

I still have the Infiniti in my stable but it's currently being driven by my wife.

Rivian puts a smile on my face just like when I first got my red headed step child Rev-Up 2005 G35 6mt Sedan.

Now I can finally say I have a 6 Piston - Brembo BBK. I've been trying to buy a BBK since I first got my G back in 2011.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...n-for-a-q.html

_

Last edited by faiz23; 11-06-2023 at 01:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by faiz23:
4DRZ (11-07-2023), Lego_Maniac (11-05-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 10:10 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Has anyone driven the 6 speed Elantra N? I drove a Kona N and Veloster N and they were both very entertaining and probably the best combination of Jeckyl & Hyde. However, the fit/finish and materials used looked like they were straight out of a 90's Subaru- not great. The "Bose" stereo in the Elantra N was also the worst Bose system I have ever heard. The stock (non-premium) stereo in the GTI sounds worlds better. I just saw a review of the Elantra N that had it running about 1 second quicker/lap than the Civic Type R on a very short track and I was amazed. Not surprised, but amazed it was that much of a gap on a short track with literally no mechanical advantage- tires, suspension, power, etc.

The Elantra N might be one of the last 4 cylinders to actually sound decent in the right mode and it has a ton of adjustability. The display screens are not bad, it has a volume ****, it is an absolute performance bargain, and is relatively available. The styling and wheel upgrades for 2024 look much better too. Just still not great overall styling. However, the Type R sounds like it is an absolute scalpel on track, has much nicer exterior/interior styling, a much better stereo, and a lot better versatility with a hatch instead of a big red brace behind the rear seats.

I think it is an even closer comparison with the GTI because I get a better deal on the VW. The Elantra N will be faster in a straight line & around a corner, the exhaust will sound better, it is easier to change drive modes, and it will probably be more fun to drive. However, the GTI looks a lot better inside and out, has better fit and finish/materials, better mpg (regular gas too), and a ton more features like- lumbar adj. on the seats, auto htd. seats and steering wheel, sunroof, cover for the rear camera (huge in the winter with salt), auto down windows and moonroof (great for cooling off in summer), lighted door handles & puddle lights, 30 color interior, power folding mirrors, wireless car play, a much better Harmon Kardon stereo, adj. arm rest, etc, etc. I feel like the GTI is a better daily driver that is also fun to drive. Whereas the Elantra N is a better track car that is more fun to drive, but can also be a daily driver.

I cannot tell with this lighting if it is light gray or light blue. I was originally thinking black was the only color that would look decent with the generic looking red trim, but now I think I would blackout the trim and go with the light gray color. Must be my boulder gray Ariya growing on me. I'd probably pull off the Hyundai badge since it's very round design is in complete contrast to the styling of the car. Not very feng shui It is still an ugly car, but the front end and wheels do make it look a lot better than last year.

The way the gauges change for different modes is nice. It is much easier to change drive modes that the GTI and it has a volume **** to boot. Unfortunately no heated steering wheel like the GTI or option of alcantara like the Type R. The seats are good and probably easier to get in and out of than the Type R, but also probably not as comfortable. Looks like only the GTI has adjustable lumbar. The rest of the interior is very plastic fantastic compared to the other two cars, but at least they blacked out the Hyundai emblem on the steering wheel so the interior cheapness is not quite so obvious.

I'm all for performance, but why even bother with a fold down seat with this big brace blocking access? They should have made it a split fold down seat and a quick release for the brace.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 11-07-2023 at 10:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 10:48 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
That 2024 Elantra N definitely looks better than the previous one. This car would be pretty high on my list to replace my wife's 2016 Cruze if we ever decided to do so. Lol unfortunately there wouldn't be any real reason to justify it since her Cruze still only has 21k miles and is in excellent condition.

I would have to debadge the "Elantra" on the trunk though

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?