G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 09:43 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Yeah, I definitely prefer the DSG to the ZF 8 speed. But, as I'm learning, the DSG has a 520nm limit (equal to about 383 lb-ft) and APR measured 373 to the wheels, so it's near the limit in stock form. With stage 1 being 500 lb-ft, the 8 speed auto is probably better suited to the car and the target market. Kinda puts a damper on my stage 1 plans, but the guys at Burger Mortorsports (ie JB4) are telling me they target peak torque closer to 4-4500 rpm vs APR at 2500 and they aren't experiencing or getting feedback of the clutches slipping. I was going to go the piggyback direction anyway, but sounds like I'll be more in the +1-2psi range than +4-5.

Congrats on the new rides
That's interesting with the transmission. Is there a different version of the ZF 8 speed in BMWs and other cars that have a lot more power stock?

After all these years, 4DR is nothing if not unpredictable
Variety is the spice of life. Nothing has really changed for me in terms of the car I am looking at getting. We just decided to keep the Sentra instead of the Leaf so that my wife could still take it to Milwaukee once or twice a month to hop the train to Chicago for work. The Leaf would not have been ideal for that. We also thought we would take the Sentra on longer trips to save gas, save money on gas since the Volvo runs on premium, and keep the mileage low on the Volvo. However, our daughter likes riding in the Volvo a lot more so it is proving difficult to take her on longer trips in the Sentra. It seems a bit strange since she never had a problem with the Sentra until we got the Volvo.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:58 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
That's interesting with the transmission. Is there a different version of the ZF 8 speed in BMWs and other cars that have a lot more power stock?
I'm not sure I understand the question. S4/S5/SQ5 = ZF 8 speed with plenty of headroom for tuning; A6/A7 = 7-speed DSG with 520nm torque limit.

However, our daughter likes riding in the Volvo a lot more so it is proving difficult to take her on longer trips in the Sentra. It seems a bit strange since she never had a problem with the Sentra until we got the Volvo.
I'm sure the Volvo is a nicer ride. Kids are quick to spoil
Old 10-03-2023, 10:20 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Congrats 4DRZ! Those newer Sentras are quite nice. We rented one in FL once and I was surprised by the overall size, look, and feel. I'm not surprised by your daughter however
Old 10-03-2023, 10:28 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
After all that love for the Leaf, you just traded it away? wow
I was surprised as well!
Old 10-03-2023, 03:22 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I'm not sure I understand the question. S4/S5/SQ5 = ZF 8 speed with plenty of headroom for tuning; A6/A7 = 7-speed DSG with 520nm torque limit.

I'm sure the Volvo is a nicer ride. Kids are quick to spoil
Nevermind, I got my transmissions mixed up. Whoops! You are dead on about spoiling kids.

Originally Posted by RobC7
Congrats 4DRZ! Those newer Sentras are quite nice. We rented one in FL once and I was surprised by the overall size, look, and feel. I'm not surprised by your daughter however
Congratulate my wife. She's the one with the new wheels. I just took over the Sentra she got 2 years ago until I find something more fun to drive.
Old 10-03-2023, 03:39 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Next car, but not a replacement for the infiniti...

My wife is looking at replacing her 2015 CX5 before she does a work/life readjustment (IE, we'll get better loan rates if we're both still working LOL). The newest CX5 is on the list of course for proven utility and driving experience - they also usually have premium car features not usually found in that price point.

She's thinking Audi Q5 or SQ5 (not sure the difference), BMW X3, Volvo XCsomething, Subaru XV. I've also added the Jag e-pace to her list. Land Rover Evoque is apparently not made any more. Anything else we should try? She's 100% against USDM manufacturers (bolstered by how MEH my 2023 Escape work car is); doesn't like the Rogue or Murano, not really into the newer RAV-4s as they're bigger than she's looking for. Think the Infiniti option would be a QX50; looks nice, but no idea how reliable/useful it is.

Anything special to look at? We usually do our planning/shopping 6 months before purchase so I'm looking forward to frustrating a lot of high-pressure car sales folks.
Old 10-03-2023, 03:41 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Subaru is posting teasers of the new WRX "TR" version that will be fully released on Sunday at Subiefest Florida. It looks promising with what appear to be 6 piston Brembo brakes, Recaro seats, and new wheels. There is a rumor it will also have adaptive suspension like the GT model. But the TR will instead have my favorite, a 6 speed manual.

I originally wrote off the WRX because of all the black plastic exterior trim like an SUV and a characteristically cheap looking interior. These "TR" modifications are all moves in the right direction so I am curious to see the release details and pricing.

I was at our Subaru store today and took a new WRX for a spin for the first time, really just to write it off. However, I was surprised by how well it drove- the size, feel, and tossability of it. Of course it felt familiar to me since I have owned 4 Subarus, but it felt much nicer and more refined than all the ones I have owned. I think the stock suspension is doable for a daily driver and better than the GR Corolla. It could be even better with an adaptive suspension. I wonder how good this TR will be. The original TR was stripped of some features to keep the price low, but this seems like a different idea with Subaru since it will add Brembo and Recaro parts.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 10-03-2023 at 04:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 04:07 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
I'm on the fence regarding the look of the car. Maybe it would look better in a dark color so that plastic trim doesn't stand out so much?

Old 10-03-2023, 04:31 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
I'm on the fence regarding the look of the car. Maybe it would look better in a dark color so that plastic trim doesn't stand out so much?
I'm with you on the styling- inside and out. The black trim really stands out on the silver color. I drove a gray one today and they had one in rally blue and the black trim did not look as bad in person on those colors. Some people paint the black trim and that looks a lot better. I was actually hoping Subaru would do that with the TR, but the picture you posted looks like a TR with the brakes and wheels. Looks like those would become the winter rims for me. Not great to look at.
Old 10-03-2023, 05:04 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
Next car, but not a replacement for the infiniti...

My wife is looking at replacing her 2015 CX5 before she does a work/life readjustment (IE, we'll get better loan rates if we're both still working LOL). The newest CX5 is on the list of course for proven utility and driving experience - they also usually have premium car features not usually found in that price point.

She's thinking Audi Q5 or SQ5 (not sure the difference), BMW X3, Volvo XCsomething, Subaru XV. I've also added the Jag e-pace to her list. Land Rover Evoque is apparently not made any more. Anything else we should try? She's 100% against USDM manufacturers (bolstered by how MEH my 2023 Escape work car is); doesn't like the Rogue or Murano, not really into the newer RAV-4s as they're bigger than she's looking for. Think the Infiniti option would be a QX50; looks nice, but no idea how reliable/useful it is.

Anything special to look at? We usually do our planning/shopping 6 months before purchase so I'm looking forward to frustrating a lot of high-pressure car sales folks.
Did someone say Audi?

Q5 = 261 HP 2.0 turbo 4
SQ5 = 350 HP 3.0 turbo 6

I loved the 2.0 in our A4, but the extra 500 pounds or so of the SUV (they are the same basic platform) is a lot for the motor to lug around IMO. But if she's not a speed demon, the interiors are gorgeous, fit and finish is excellent, and the tech is incredibly well integrated.

Subaru is posting teasers of the new WRX "TR" version that will be fully released on Sunday at Subiefest Florida. It looks promising with what appear to be 6 piston Brembo brakes, Recaro seats, and new wheels. There is a rumor it will also have adaptive suspension like the GT model. But the TR will instead have my favorite, a 6 speed manual.

I originally wrote off the WRX because of all the black plastic exterior trim like an SUV and a characteristically cheap looking interior. These "TR" modifications are all moves in the right direction so I am curious to see the release details and pricing.

I was at our Subaru store today and took a new WRX for a spin for the first time, really just to write it off. However, I was surprised by how well it drove- the size, feel, and tossability of it. Of course it felt familiar to me since I have owned 4 Subarus, but it felt much nicer and more refined than all the ones I have owned. I think the stock suspension is doable for a daily driver and better than the GR Corolla. It could be even better with an adaptive suspension. I wonder how good this TR will be. The original TR was stripped of some features to keep the price low, but this seems like a different idea with Subaru since it will add Brembo and Recaro parts.
Finally!! I've been waiting for a 'performance' variant of the WRX for awhile, and had seen some pics of a camouflaged car sporting the 6 piston Brembos awhile ago. I mean, there are already in the parts bin, right? Along with the Recaros? Tweak the suspension a bit, adjust the tune for a few extra horsepower, offer it with a manual, and I bet people will line up to buy it......in dark colors at least, because it helps hide the hideous plastic fenders and is really the only way it looks remotely 'good'
Old 10-03-2023, 07:52 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

I'm with you on the styling- inside and out. The black trim really stands out on the silver color. I drove a gray one today and they had one in rally blue and the black trim did not look as bad in person on those colors. Some people paint the black trim and that looks a lot better. I was actually hoping Subaru would do that with the TR, but the picture you posted looks like a TR with the brakes and wheels. Looks like those would become the winter rims for me. Not great to look at.
I cross-shopped the WRX back in 2013 when I purchased my G and loved how raw the platform felt with the manual trans, subtle turbo lag and that boxer engine that sits really low in the chassis (handling was excellent). At the time, a couple of buddies convinced me that I'm not the target demographic for the WRX, and it also didn't help that the Subaru dealer felt kind of shady compared to Infiniti.

In looking at the new design, the wheels look too small and that front end screams FWD. The design looks lost somewhere between a Corrola and Rav4, and suddenly I'm feeling like I'm too young to drive that thing. Painted trim, 20mm spacers and removing about 2.5 inches from the ride height would be a good start. This one looks alot better in Red: https://www.caranddriver.com/subaru/wrx , white and gray make the new model look cheap (per below, looked great on the 2013).

Old 10-03-2023, 08:02 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Finally!! I've been waiting for a 'performance' variant of the WRX for awhile, and had seen some pics of a camouflaged car sporting the 6 piston Brembos awhile ago. I mean, there are already in the parts bin, right? Along with the Recaros? Tweak the suspension a bit, adjust the tune for a few extra horsepower, offer it with a manual, and I bet people will line up to buy it......in dark colors at least, because it helps hide the hideous plastic fenders and is really the only way it looks remotely 'good'
It's promising for sure. I wonder if someone will build an aftermarket paint matched body kit with lower sills and replacment fender trim? The Scooby has a loyal following, so I'm guessing the hardcore types are pretty indifferent about this model.

Does the WRX have any known issues other than that 4 cyl they use is pretty thirsty?
Old 10-04-2023, 09:47 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

I need a little advice please. As some of you may know, I've been tossing around the idea of selling my G to get an E90 M3, but I haven't been actively pursuing the idea yet. I love the G and I'm most likely going to keep it for a while, or possibly for many more years as a tribute to 6MT sport sedans.

So the idea of getting an M3 may never even come to fruition, but I've been looking for one nearby to test drive. The problem is, I live in Arkansas and it's very difficult to find one for sale within a reasonable driving distance because most of them are at least 5+ hours away. I found one fairly close on Facebook Marketplace but it's an E93 (convertible), which is fine with me to test drive because it would be a similar experience to the E90 (sedan).

I basically need confirmation that I'm even going to LIKE the vehicle. I've heard the seats are the most comfy people have felt. The main thing I want to experience is the S65 V8 motor that revs to 8,400rpm. And I've always been a manual guy but I really want to try the DCT because I've heard it compliments the car much better than the 6MT version does.

So I have this opportunity to test drive the car and experience the engine AND DCT. This is where I need advice: I'm not ready to buy, I don't even know if I'll WANT an M3 yet, but I need to test drive one at some point and this is one of the better opportunities I'll get. In this situation, do you think I should contact the seller and make him think I'm a serious buyer so I can ensure a test drive? Or should I approach it more from an honest perspective, telling him that I'm an enthusiast that is very appreciative of the M3 on paper, and needs to drive one to make a decision if I want to buy one in the future?

There's also the consideration that if I go through with this test drive, it may be such a visceral, thrilling experience that I'll get tunnel vision on buying one and not be able to shake that feeling until I get my hands on one lol
Old 10-04-2023, 09:48 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

I need a little advice please. As some of you may know, I've been tossing around the idea of selling my G to get an E90 M3, but I haven't been actively pursuing the idea yet. I love the G and I'm most likely going to keep it for a while, or possibly for many more years as a tribute to 6MT sport sedans.

So the idea of getting an M3 may never even come to fruition, but I've been looking for one nearby to test drive. The problem is, I live in Arkansas and it's very difficult to find one for sale within a reasonable driving distance because most of them are at least 5+ hours away. I found one fairly close on Facebook Marketplace but it's an E93 (convertible), which is fine with me to test drive because it would be a similar experience to the E90 (sedan).

I basically need confirmation that I'm even going to LIKE the vehicle. I've heard the seats are the most comfy people have felt. The main thing I want to experience is the S65 V8 motor that revs to 8,400rpm. And I've always been a manual guy but I really want to try the DCT because I've heard it compliments the car much better than the 6MT version does.

So I have this opportunity to test drive the car and experience the engine AND DCT. This is where I need advice: I'm not ready to buy, I don't even know if I'll WANT an M3 yet, but I need to test drive one at some point and this is one of the better opportunities I'll get. In this situation, do you think I should contact the seller and make him think I'm a serious buyer so I can ensure a test drive? Or should I approach it more from an honest perspective, telling him that I'm an enthusiast that is very appreciative of the M3 on paper, and needs to drive one to make a decision if I want to buy one in the future?

There's also the consideration that if I go through with this test drive, it may be such a visceral, thrilling experience that I'll get tunnel vision on buying one and not be able to shake that feeling until I get my hands on one lol
Old 10-04-2023, 10:05 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Personally, I never test drive a car unless there's a chance, however small, that I might actually buy it. But that's with new cars at new car dealerships, and sometimes sales staff put you in the car for a drive even if you tell them up front that you're not going to buy it. In those cases, heck yeah I'll test drive.

But for a used car from a private seller, asking them to test drive their car just for the experience? That's not going to happen unless you pay them for the test drive, and even then. Is it worth $100 for you to scratch this itch? Maybe.

Have you researched Turo? There's a 2019 M4 on Turo in LA for $103/day.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?